OMV to the nines

• I was sitting here, running updates on a new install of OMV and I got to wondering:
    Does anybody install ALL plugins, including those from OMV-Extras?
    Beyond that, is anyone running OMV on big high-spec boxes, or in a critical infrastructure role?

So, how about it? Who thinks they're running the baddest OMV install?

Just to throw out my personal specs (which I think are none too shabby):
    OMV 1.0.31
    Dell PowerEdge 2950, rackmount
    2x quad-core Xeon
    12 Gb RAM
    6x 250 Gb SATA drives (1 OS, 5 data - HW RAID 5, and I'm hoping to upgrade soon)

I run:
    BTSync
    miniDLNA
    Samba
    VirtualBox - Running an Ubuntu server for Minetest, and a WIndows 7 box for fun

and NUT for monitoring my UPS of course. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Installing every single plugin.. IIRC someone did that about 2-3mo ago.. I can't remember what his question related to, but it was pretty obvious when he posted his log.

Volker has been pretty clear that OMV's target audience is home use (at least for now). While it can be used for all sorts of things (since its just a debian install), I find it unlikely someone would install OMV and use it in the type of environment you're describing.. They'd just do a vanilla Debian install and not worry about OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't even have all the plugins installed on my development box.

I disagree KM0201 :) I use OMV for my production server at work - Dell PowerEdge T410, dual Xeon E5620s, 32 GB ram, 6x2tb raid 10 array, 2x1tb raid 1 array for backup, and 500gb OS drive that came with the server. It used to run Ubuntu Server and host my email server (zimbra) but I switched to OMV and hosted email. I have a Win2k3 server VM for MSSQL and a VM for my svn server. Everything else (domain, intranet. mysql server, file server, backups, etc) are hosted by omv. Obviously, I can setup Debian by itself but OMV is just that much easier and uses production level components. System runs perfect.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that there are probably better choices. There's a lot of good things about OMV, but I don't think the current crop of plugins go a long way towards making it a logical choice for a serious enterprise environment. Can it be done? Of course but you'd likely find yourself using the OMV webUI very little, so you might as well just install Debian server.

• I think one of the main things it is missing for Enterprise or Small Business is an easy way to encrypt the drives. That is a big concern with firms these days. OMV is great in the small business setting but lacks a few things that would make it perfect. For me encryption and fax server would make it perfect. Faxing is not used as much anymore but I still use it a lot.

PS- I should say a fax server plugin because I can install hylafax manually.

• Interesting insights.

I think that in general, I'd only recommend OMV for home use, but I think that it could definitely hold it's own in a production environment... Maybe just not 'critical' infrastructure.

A hylafax plugin would definitely be cool; though I'd personally love to see some High Availability / clustering / auto-failover features built in by default. :D

Also, I've been thinking about swapping OMV as a virtual host for ESX running on the metal and hosting OMV as a VM alongside the other machines... Virtualbox has proven to be less than as reliable as I'd like after running it for days and continuing to use the other server features heavily. Perhaps a self-inflicted wound... :/

• A Dell 2950 for home use? I have two of them among my weaponry at work, beside a lot of T420, R520, R620 and others. But I would not use this rig at home....too loud, too heavy and the power consumption is not really low (About 500 Watt or more, depends on the config).

And for production use, like ryecoaaron I use OMV at work. After two years of using them I can tell that these systems are _very_ reliable, but of course that depends on the hardware, too. These two OMV boxes come into game when I have to move VM's because of hardware failures or upgrades. Last year one of my QNAP boxes got broken and it took half a year to get a running system back (They are not that fast there). During this time one of the OMV boxes, connected via NFS to two ESXi hosts, was hosting 12 VM's without any trouble. I love my babies. ;)

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!