Shellinabox plugin in testing repo

• Except that we suggest to use additonal sources.list files in sources.list.d directory instead of putting everything into the original sources.list.

Another option is to add it as a custom repo via the omvextrasorg Plugin.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi all, Great plugin. There is only one thing missing for me. That is authentication on the webservice itself. It is not using apache I beleave since I enabled athentication on apache and it ain't working. Can that be added to it?

regards Bugje.

Regards,

Bugje.
    OMV is the best. (using AMD Athlon 64 X2 4GB RAID1)

• Hi,

When I open up 4200, everyone is able to access the shellina via https://domain:4200. The only authenication it requires is the linux authentication. To make it safe I need to be sure all users for my NAS are safe. Since I have created an open user for my children everyone is able to access it when they just try. What I would like is an extra authenication for just accessing the webservice on port 4200.

So, or I don't understand the authentication of the web service. Or I'm doing something wrong. Please explain when I don't understand stuff.

regards,
    Bugje

Regards,

Bugje.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Bugje ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you open ssh to the internet, there is no second authentication. If you don't want a user to be able to login (weak password), set shell to nologin. If you want a second authentication layer, use vpn.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi, I'm not talking about ssh, I'm talking about Shellinabox, which is a web service. within the webservice a terminal emulator is started which uses Ajax and stuff.. If it was running on apache I would have used apache simple authentication for this service. Basicly my question is: does nginx has something simular? if so, how to use it and is it posible to make it configurable via OMV web service?

Regards,

Bugje.

• Setting this up with nginx is a bit more complicated, allthough i'm not quite sure if shellinabox brings its own webserver or if its run inside our nginx instance.

But the questen rather is: Is shellinabox available to your internet? Did you configure your kids account to not be in ssh group? (hint: it's not in there by default)
    If it's not available to the internet? I wouldn't care.
    If it's connected to the internet, so what, it just takes away the need to use putty, you still have to authenticate.

Maybe @ryecoaaron can answer if shellinabox uses nginx, then you could google for htacces under nginx and configure your second auth.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for the answer, Yes they have ssh access. This is for a game that is installed on the OMV server. This way my kids can access the files they need. I know it is not ideal and will go and change it later.

Regards,

Bugje.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi, I'm not talking about ssh, I'm talking about Shellinabox, which is a web service.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I was comparing the number of authentication layers. Shellinabox is not a web service. It is its own service that happens to serve http over a tcp port. It does not use apache or nginx at all. You could possibly put an authentication layer in front of it using nginx but I don't see why. If you don't trust the security of shellinabox, putting an authentication layer in front of it won't help much. You could redirect the port using nginx as well but that would be a pain in the ass and would much easier to use vpn or just ssh itself.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I don't think it is good idea to open port 4200 to the internet. Using VPN to connect to your LAN is a much better idea. Once a VPN connection is established you can use Shellinabox as you would normally on your LAN.

• May I ask how to get the colors reversed? I would really like the black background.

Version
    6.0.27-1 (Shaitan)

Kernel
    Linux 5.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

• Do you just want black background with white letters and no color???

To get rid of color you need to comment out these things in your /root/.bashrc file

#export LS_OPTIONS='--color=auto'
    #eval "`dircolors`"
    #alias ls='ls $LS_OPTIONS'
    #alias ll='ls $LS_OPTIONS -l'
    #alias l='ls $LS_OPTIONS -lA'

• Well, I want it to look like it does when I ssh in through bitvise. Black background, white and colored text in shell and colors when I run HTOP. Is that possible? I found something on a website the Shellinabox website stating about changing css at the command line but I would have no idea where to change that.

Zitat

When you login to your SIAB interface, you probably noticed that it white with black text. You can change this default behavior by specifying the CSS file that presents you with the more UNIX standard of white text on a black background. You’ll find the CSS files in the source tree under the shellinabox directory. Your choices for styles are: black-on-white (default), white-on-black, color and monochrome. Copy the CSS files to your home directory so that you can use them at will.

To use something other than the default, use the CSS switch, –css=[filename.css] in your command.

$ shellinaboxd --port=5678 --css=white-on-black.css

Version
    6.0.27-1 (Shaitan)

Kernel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tlettkeman ()

• OK, I understand about getting the colors at the prompt sort of, And I know that HTOP controls it's colors, they are there but in reverse from Bitvise. I want black background/white letters in SIAB which is opposite of the SIAB default. Just like in his picture above.

Version
    6.0.27-1 (Shaitan)

Kernel

• I have been using shellinabox on OMV2.0 for ages but it now comes up with "session closed" as soon as the login name is entered but before the password.

Not sure exactly when this behaviour started, as i have just noticed it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe a browser update?? Did you try clearing your browser cache or a different browser?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!