Yet another Mount Problem

• Hello Community, i bought me a new Homeserver for NAS purpose and set up a clean install of OMV 1.0.21.

After the installation of the System I upgraded everything and installed the OMV-Extras. At this Point when the System was already up to date, i power connect my HDDs to set the Fileshares. And now beginn my Problem :D

It´s a little bit strange, i go to File Systems and found my 3 installed Disks and want to mount it.
    After clicking on the mount button of /dev/sda2 device, a new drive appears as /dev/disk/by-uuid/0D32C5101881886E with status missing.
    And the drive /dev/sda2 is still unmount, after a second click on mount on the /dev/sda2 device the hdd is mountet correctly but not shown in the shares volume.

With the eXtplorer i can go on my mountet partition what was correctly mountet in /media/0D32C5101881886E

Yesterday is still play a little around with OMV as First install on a USB-Flashdrive, an there was not such a behavior. Today when a decide to install on a real hdd in my Server i got this failure.

Here i got some Pictures for you:

My blkid output my fstab and LogID:

My LogID is: TniLdO3Y

/dev/sdb1: UUID="C66A82876A8273C9" TYPE="ntfs"
    /dev/sdc1: UUID="4f1ea329-2ca4-42f9-a73b-a72542b15e57" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc5: UUID="136a92a8-a452-4c63-abd8-93af2b219cae" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="GoFlex" UUID="0D32C5101881886E" TYPE="ntfs"

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=4f1ea329-2ca4-42f9-a73b-a72542b15e57 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=136a92a8-a452-4c63-abd8-93af2b219cae none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    # >>> [openmediavault]
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/0D32C5101881886E /media/0D32C5101881886E ntfs defaults,nofail 0 2
    # <<< [openmediavault]

So I hope my english was well enough to understand my problem.

Would be nice if someone could help me, and that

Greetings
    Vertax

• Moin, i not 100% sure because i'm at work. I've update yesterday to the newest version via update in the dashboard. Think 1.0.31 was the latest what released a couple a days ago.

• Vertax: What is the reason for using NTFS, do you have data stored on these HDD's you want to keep?

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Yes of course, before i bought my mini server I used the hdds in a icybox external case. So i had do use ntfs for windows. Unfortunately i dont have a third 1TB Disk for cleaning the filesystem.

• It is always a risk using NTFS as the filesystem in a Linux box even if you can mount them, this should always be a temporarily solution only just for copying data.
    The only way to get a reliable system is to free the two HDD's, format them with ext4 and move your data to the OMV box. I wouldn't fiddle around with NTFS.
    I guess you are german, where do you come from? Maybe someone could lend you a HDD for moving data. I would.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Why are you guys messing with NTFS?????? Just move your data off those drives and don't use them on OMV. You can do it fairly fast over gigabit network, like overnight. I'm sick of seeing errors with people trying to use NTFS on linux...

• Maybe it would be better to pull NTFS support from the list of supported filesystems in the backend? Then it would be quite obvious that it shouldn't be used. Right now OMV "supports" NTFS but the support is broken, which I think is worse than not supporting it at all. Much easier to explain to new users who are having problems like this that they have to use another filesystem I think.

• Volker was looking at this thread. Hopefully he gets the problem fixed. I like the fact that you can mount NTFS but these people don't understand that it should not be used as a permanent solution. I think there should be some kind of message that pops up with a continue button to give more information before mounting.

I was on a system the other day where person had NTFS as data drive with shared folder that he installed plexmediaserver working directory inside of it. I was just shaking my head...

• People that understand how it should be used like the ability to mount it quick, get data off it and then umount/remove. That is how it should be used, or to copy data to it. I don't use that feature often but I like fact it is there. Windows 10 looks awesome BTW.

• Sorry my Friend but you pissed me a little bit of with your Answer.

First of all, I use NTFS many many times over years in Linux, on my Laptop with a Dual-Boot System under Mint, on my Desktop with Ubuntu and on my Work.
    It works like a charm and I had no problem with it, so please dont do so as it was a problem of using ntfs in a Linux Environment, this is a Bug in OMV and not an Linux specific problem. When i mount my drives with CLI im able to use it with no Problem.

Second of all, i know the advantages an disadvantages of using ntfs under linux, but my former setup had to do this choice. Now i have 2 TB Disk full with Data what is not so easly drag and drop if you dont have the Storage left. I know that the prefered Filesystem in Linux ist ext and not ntfs ^^

And also with a Gigabit Ethernet you dont transfer 2 TB of Data overnight, i had do do this a couple of Months ago.

Third of all, the most People around the World are no Linux Geeks and use Windows, so when I have to share datas with friends and work colleagues NTFS is more reliable. Also when you do a Backup is a NTFS External drive in my opinion a better choice.

Don't misunderstand me, I love Linux and think it is definitely the better OS than Windows, but its supremacy forced to some compromise

Your Answer is in no wise helpful anybody who read this Topic who have a similar problem.

I think there are good reasons to support ntfs, and your post is like: "NTFS is crap in Linux dont use it in any way, please remove this crap feature because ntfs is crap"

After all have a nice Day :D

• Good man Volker.

@ Vertax, I know OMV and know what I am talking about. When you are just copying/writing data it is ok but when you get into stuff where you are using chmod/chown on a foreign filesystem it is a disaster. Just trust me. :)

I did not say anything about love/hate above. I am dealing more in reality of what works best.

• Good man Volker.

@ Vertax, I know OMV and know what I am talking about. When you are just copying/writing data it is ok but when you get into stuff where you are using chmod/chown on a foreign filesystem it is a disaster. Just trust me. :)

I did not say anything about love/hate above. I am dealing more in reality of what works best.

Yeah i know chmod and chown gave me also some trouble if I had cross Programming in a Study Project for Android :D
    I know its no permantly solution, but what i say my former setup had to do this choice. But the postman saved my day ^^
    5minutes ago he delivered me a package with hardware components for a new gmaing pc of a friend. So now i have one more TB Disk ^^

@datadigger i see you are from giessen i study there nice town :thumbup: and thanks for the offer lend me a disk, but the Postman came in the right moment !

Also greetings to Volker for such a nice and devotedly work

• Just remember a lot of the plugins use the data drives and shared folders on the data drives. It is best to have native Linux file systems when working directories from the programs in the plugins are using the data drives. :thumbup:

• Yes thats my goal, now i have one more disk, so i can start data transfer. The second step is next month when i bough new disks, that i can perform a raid configuration. They will be have more size and purpose for nas setup. Just now in my system are 4 years old desktop drives where one is become to die :whistling:

But after all thanks for your help @ all

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!