FEATURE REQUEST - Improvements to the USB Backup Plugin

• Hi,

I am having some issues with the USB Backup plugin and it's reliability.

When using it, on many occasions the drive is not correctly mounted and therefore the backup fails.

I am trying to use this for some users who aren't very tech savy, so having to access the web interface, mount the drive manually is not an option.

Presently, I have been doing some testing, and once the Rsync job has completed, if you just yank out the drive after a few minutes I can often get the following errors

Aborting journal on device sdf1-8
    I/O error detected when updating journal superblock for sfd1-8
    EXT4-fs error couldn't clean up the journal
    remounting as read only

The next time the drive is plugged in, it often fails to mount or mounts as read only

If I manually unmount the drive before removing via the web interface, the process is much more reliable, but defeats the purpose of an automated solution

I would like to request some improvements to the way it works such as this workflow

- Plug in USB drive
    - USB drive is automounted and rsync runs based on the configuration
    - An email is sent indicating that the Drive has been detected, mounted and the Backup has started
    - Rsync runs, and completes
    - The drive is automatically unmounted, this helps to make sure the drive is clean, and avoids I/O errors on removal
    - An email is sent to an address indicating the process has finished, and that the drive can be safely removed from the system

This means any user can plug in a drive, wait for a start and finish email, and then unplug the drive, meaning the entire process is automated and very very simple, as good as synology.

• I just deleted the backup job, wiped the drive and started again and now it correctly unmounts the drive when done, so that's working.

I just need a simple user friendly email to notify on start and completion so the user knows when to remove the drive.

• Another FR:
    #1:
    don't display all HDDs in "Device", only the USB ones, as the Plugin is called "USB-Backup".

If the backing up to internal drives is intended, then the plugin-name is confusing IMO. It should be called "shared-folder-backup" or something like this AND a mail should be sent, when the backup is completed. Think of very large backup-jobs on drives with >=2TB.
    "shared-folder-backup" is a better name, so the users know, what the plugin is doing -> it can backup shares to internal or external drives.
    In omv-extras we have a "backup"-plugin already which backs up the system folder.

#2:
    extend omv-helper-functions with a mail-function, which can be used from bash by other plugins without implementing their own: see _send_email() here as an example.
    like this:
    omv-send-mail $PLUGINNAME $SUBJECT < $MAILTEXT
    then OMV should send the mail to the users setup in OMV.
    Don't know, if a function like this extists already :/

Edit: created a FR on our Tracker: http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1180

• Offizieller Beitrag

- Plug in USB drive
    - USB drive is automounted and rsync runs based on the configuration
    - An email is sent indicating that the Drive has been detected, mounted and the Backup has started
    - Rsync runs, and completes
    - The drive is automatically unmounted, this helps to make sure the drive is clean, and avoids I/O errors on removal
    - An email is sent to an address indicating the process has finished, and that the drive can be safely removed from the system

Everything is already implemented. Activate the email by checking the 'Send email' checkbox.

#1 Some time ago a user commited a patch to add eSATA devices. Maybe we can remove this now due the fact that the OMVStorageDeviceAbstract::isUSB method is more powerful and should idenify such external HDD devices too. But we have to validate this before. I have no eSATA devices, so this must be done by someone else.

#2 This is not necessary to add such a function. Simply use

Code
    echo "test test" | mail -s "subject test" root

to send an email to the root user and finally to the primary email address.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!