Using OMV in old PC as a Windows 7 File Server/Backup Server

• I'm new to this and could do with some help please.

I'm looking to use my old Pentium 4 PC with 2GB (non ECC) Ram as a headless server to store files for our 2 Windows 7 PC's and my Windows 7 laptop. I have a 80GB hdd for OMV & 2 new WD 2TB Green HDDs. I've considered using them as HTFS HDDs one labeled Storage and the other labeled Backup. I can't work out how to format them as HTFS in OMV, so I'm starting out with EXT4 to get things up and running. For some reason my 2tb hdds are both showing up as Capacity, Available 1.79TiB???

I'm hoping I am on the right track here..

If anyone has any suggestions for a better way to do this, I'm all ears. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Next I read I should install Omv-extras.org Plugin and I followed the howto:- OMV-Extras.org Plugin back I get the following error:-

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1': Ign file: Release.gpg
    Ign file: Release
    Err http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates Release.gpg
    Something wicked happened resolving 'security.debian.org:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
    Ign file: Translation-en
    Err http://packages.openmediavault.org kralizec Release.gpg
    Something wicked happened resolving 'packages.openmediavault.org:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
    Ign http://security.debian.org wheezy/updates Release
    Ign

Plus a lot more information.

I get the same error when I click on Update Manager and Plugins and click Check in each.

Can someone help with this as well please? ?(?(

I have Putty (ssh) setup and running and really like the Web Interface of OMV. I have also tried using Ubuntu Server & Desktop but found them way to hard to work with.. I wish I was brave enough to dump Windows completely and switch to linux but the learning curve is a bit high right now...

Thanks in advance.. 8o8o8o

• Thanks subzero79, that fixed the first issue. I thought I had included my one network DNS server as primary and added the free Google one as secondary but that must have been last time I installed and used OMV.

I just did that this time, since you mentioned it and it all worked now..

Thanks for the butt kick.. :thumbup:

• First, why greens and not reds?
    Second, 2TB are 1.79TiB.
    Third, HTFS? Never heard of it.

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like omv hasn't setup DNS. In the network section in webui try to fill the DNS entry with 8.8.8.8 save and apply then check if you can refresh the update manager

First, why greens and not reds?
    Second, 2TB are 1.79TiB.

Greens are fine as long as you don't put them in a RAID. They're just not meant to hold up in a RAID, especially RAID1 (ask me how I know.. :) ) I use a couple and once I stopped using RAID, they have been just fine. Also, there's a significant cost difference. If you don't mind the speed and don't intend for your NAS to be on 24/7.. the greens are fine. I've been happy with mine.

I've not really decided what to do when I upgrade my data drives in a few months. The 4TB reds, are $169, and the Greens are $149, so the price difference in those sizes is pretty small (when I bought my 2TB's, it was around a $70 difference)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use a green, but 7200 (the first ones i guess) in RAID1 with Seagate barracuda (yes, the same model that fails 25% according to backblaze) =O

I nuked 3 of them (all under warranty thank goodness).. and I started wondering if raid1 was just to "aggressive" for them. So I formatted them independently, and started using rsync to run automatic backups between the drives. I've not had a problem since.

• First, why greens and not reds?
    Second, 2TB are 1.79TiB.

Hi davidh2k, the reason I went for Greens instead of reds is simply the cost. The Greens cost me $85.00 each and if I were to buy Reds, they would have been $135.00 each. As a pensioner I couldn't justify the added cost.

My apologies for the typo in the HTFS, I'm sure you have guessed I meant NTFS, the Windows Format.

Thanks for explaining the HDD formatted amounts for me.

If I was to format these 2TB HDDS in Windows I'd get 1.82TB of usable space and as Nix is a better system, I don't understand why under I only get 1.79TB I also wasn't aware that TB & TiB are two different things...

When I looked this all up I found this calculation:- 2 TB = 1.8189894035459 TiB

To KM0201, thanks for your input here, I was not going to use them in a Raid situation just as two separate HDDS, one labeled Storage and the other labeled Backup. But I was thinking of running it 24/7. Speed is not an issue to me at all.

To everyone, of course if money was not an issue, I'd be buying all the right hardware and get someone else to set it all up and maintain it for me. As I'm at home all day, I thought I'd try and do this by myself with limited resources.

Thanks everyone...

• I'm sure you have guessed I meant NTFS, the Windows Format.

Well. Its a windows format and you're now running Linux so I highly suggest you to consider using a proper Linux Filesystem.

If I was to format these 2TB HDDS in Windows I'd get 1.82TB of usable space and as Nix is a better system, I don't understand why under I only get 1.79TB I also wasn't aware that TB & TiB are two different things...

When I looked this all up I found this calculation:- 2 TB = 1.8189894035459 TiB

The missing space is probably wasted by the Filesystem Journal.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• So are you from the land of the long white cloud or down under? very confusing name ;)

Let me explain... I was born in Scotland, immigrated with parents to NZ at the age of 3 and lived there for 17 years. Did all my schooling in NZ and then moved to Australia in 1974. I thought about the tag of ScotKiwiOz but shortened it to Ozkiwi because I have no memories of my homeland - Scotland.

Well you did ask..

Zitat

Well. Its a windows format and you're now running Linux so I highly suggest you to consider using a proper Linux Filesystem.

From the reading I have done I see that Linux works well with NTFS but I can't find a lot of information on how Windows 7 works with EXT4. As I'm only using Linux as the OS on a basic NAS to store Windows files, that's why I considered using NTFS over EXT4.

If I were to dump Windows OS completely on all my computers, that issue would be a no brainer. But I'm not there yet as the learning curve is simply too high right now. Of course using a Windows OS for my basic NAS, is way out of my price range as I'd have to buy 64bit hardware, plus the OS itself. Hence my looking at OMV as a simpler & cheaper option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I totally agree with this. Using NTFS in this situation is a bad idea.

Windows doesn't care what filesystem it is.. It will be a network share via Samba, so windows will see the Linux filesystem just fine.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!