OMV keeps restarting

• Hi all

So I'm very new to this NAS thing but wanted to give OMV a try. I managed to install it ok, but every 5-10mins I noticed the webUI would become unresponsive and I realised that it was because the NAS box is restarting due to some error.

I plugged in a monitor and caught one of the restart cycles. The monitor was displaying this:
    http://imgur.com/PGLF7Aw

Suffice to say I have no idea what this means or why it is doing this. Again, I'm very new to OMV and linux in general, so I'm sure there is more helpful information I could provide - let me know what that might be, and how I can get it, and I'll post it up

thanks in advance

• The box is actually an old computer that I've been using for a few years now, only stopped using it a week ago when I got a new machine. Can it still be a RAM issue if I've never noticed any problems during the time it was my main computer?

• Yes. It could be that only some memory addresses in the ram are faulty which were never touched before but now cause your system to reboot.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Also, you may want to upload a Support Log. It seems your php-fpm is the software that quits first on the problem.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Will try a memtest once I've exhausted all other options (I don't believe I can run that with OMV installed? I only know how to run it from windows)

I have also submitted a support log: 99JwUZtW

I tried installing the latest backports kernel. I haven't seen the restart issue since then, but only time will tell I guess. I'll accept that the backports kernel fixed the problem, assuming the support info doesn't give a clue as to something else being the cause of the problem

• nice, once running memtest, how would I know that there is a problem with one of the dimms?

The machine has started rebooting itself again. This time not as often (once every 4 hours maybe). It just happened so I grabbed a system log from OMV webgui and attached it here if it helps diagnose the problem at all

• nice, once running memtest, how would I know that there is a problem with one of the dimms?

If some of the memory dimms has a problem, memtest will warn you!
    It will run various tests that could take some hours and if it detects any problem will give some error/warning on the specified test.

• There is nothing in the Syslog what could tell me why it froze up.

Greetings
    David

• I agree on running memtest. Burn an ISO and boot to it. You should do a couple passes, the 1st pass is 0. If you have errors it will be obvious because they will be listed in red on the screen. After you shown you have no memory errors then you look deeper.

I have seen problems like yours when the bios are corrupted. If the memory is fine I would look up the bios for that machine and reflash the latest bios to the motherboard.

Can you tell me what cpu this machine has?? I just looked at error message.

• @tekkb

The CPU error message doesn't mean that it is a CPU specific problem, it's just a kernel panic which could be caused by anything.

Greetings
    David

• memtest has been running now for 10+ hours with no errors, I think its safe to assume the RAM is OK. I'll let it run for another few hours while I'm at work but I doubt anything will come up

I'm going to do a full bios update after I get home later

Full computer specs:

cpu: i5-2500k
    motherboard: msi p67A-G43 B3
    ram: 4gb gskill ripjaws 1333
    gpu: sapphire radeon 6950
    ssd (system): sandisk extreme 120gb
    ssd (storage): samsung 840 120gb (this drive was plugged in later, restarts happen both before and after this drive was used)
    hdd (storage): wd blue 1TB
    psu: corsair tx650W

• Offizieller Beitrag

id the support log I

Random Restarts:

1. Ram
    2. PSU

The one time I've had this problem, I thought for sure it was the RAM, and rather than sitting through 10hrs of testing, just went out and bought new RAM.

Opened up the case and was getting ready to pull the old memory, when I just happened to glance at my hard drives power connector.. I could see a small piece of copper in the back of the molex connector (like someone had stripped the wire). I unplugged the drive, and as I pulled on the connector... literally one of the wires just fell out (before you ask, no, I'm not dumb enough to pull on the wires).

Took the RAM back and bought a new PSU, problem never occurred again. My assumption is as the drive was used, minor vibrations were causing the loose wire to short and the machine would reboot.

• I can add AC voltage variations, especially if you're in rural area

if that were the case, wouldn't this problem have come up before when I used the same machine as my daily driver? I've never had issues with random restarts prior to this. Or is OMV just more sensitive to these types of things than Windows?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!