Possible to switch from Greyhole to aufs?

• Hello,

New to the forum and OMV.

I have successfully repurposed an old PC as an OMV NAS utilizing SnapRAID and Greyhole, but my read and write speeds (currently averaging about 10MB/S both ways) are rather poor compared to what I'm reading should be easily attainable with the hardware I have.

OMV machine is:

Core 2 Duo (1.86ghz)
    Asus Commando mobo
    2GB RAM
    WD Red 3GB HDD's (x4)

Router is an Asus RT-N66U

I've scoured these forums and Google for hours trying to find either an answer to my question or for someone else experiencing similar SMB performance with Greyhole. The closet instance resulted in the user not finding any resolution to "fix" Greyhole, and switched to aufs with good results.

I would like to try resolving with Greyhole and keeping my current setup because everything is actually working quite smoothly...just slow.

If switching to aufs is actually the end conclusion we reach, my concern then turns to my data...I have transferred quite a bit of media files (movies mostly) and would hate to either lose them or redo everything...can a pool setup with Greyhole be somehow "transferred" to an aufs pool?

I'll apologize ahead of time for my lack of Linux knowledge, but I can follow instruction well. It is not my intent to come across daft or incapable, so please bear with me if I ask for clarification...treat me with the proverbial "kid gloves".

If there is any further info I have not provided, please ask and I will provide as much detail as I can.

I thank everyone in advance for their contributions.

-Paul

• First, it's very easy to get files out of a Greyhole pool; it's one of its main feature (easy to recover files).
    Greyhole store files in regular folders, as regular files. You just need to look in the folders defined as storage_pool_drives in greyhole.conf:

Code
    grep storage_pool_drive /etc/greyhole.conf

The above command will list all the folders you have defined in your pool. If you go into any of those folders, and walk through the folders and files you find there, you'll find part of your Greyhole-stored files. Each of those folders should have an equal part of your files.

As for abysmal transfer speeds you're getting, can you detail how you're testing / transferring the files? Are you accessing the files locally using the /mnt/samba/ mounts? What version of greyhole do you have installed?

Also, since AUFS is just a file system, you'll still need a method to access the files remotely, and if the problem is Samba, it won't help to use AUFS.
    You can also try to transfer files using Samba, from a share that isn't Greyhole-enabled, and see what kind of performance you get.

Good luck.

• (currently averaging about 10MB/S both ways)

Am I the only one who smells the 100Mbit here?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thank you, gboudreau and davidh2k.

After creating an aufs share and testing the speeds, they are identical to the speeds I am getting with Greyhole.

After a bit more reading, I am inclined to agree with davidh2k the 100mbit ethernet connection is the bottleneck. I intend to switch to a gigabit connection and will then try both aufs and Greyhole as they are both already setup on my system.

I may not get to this immediately, but I will update this thread when I have done so.

Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,
    -Paul

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!