Problem with the Public option under SMB/CIFS, Shares

• Offizieller Beitrag

@davidh2k the problem is if we set up privileges for some users for public (say RW) and also with guest allowance, smb.conf output's this valid users directive, which will prompt for login. I am currently working on something around this with the extra options.

I manage to get this working with user/pass logging guest/[blank password]

If I understand he wants a folder to be read only with no login prompt, and for some users to have readwrite when they use their credentials.

• Well... typing in Guest should be no hassle, shouldn't it?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Sorry, it took me more than one day to give feedback on my problem. I have been busy on another matter with work.
    I figured out a solution with the help of a tutorial from subzero. :)

My solution with the help of subzero:
    The way I dealt with the problem was to add a new user with no password

1-Create a new user with no password. sudo -useradd pcguest -N
    2- Log into OMV and edit the user created.
    Comment: guest account
    Shell: /usr/sbin/nologin
    3-Give the privileges I want the new pcguest user to have over my shared folder.
    4-In OMV, Service SMB/CIFS, I tick Null passwords.
    5-When I access a shared folder from Windows, I can now type in pcguest without password and will have the privileges accorded to it.

This is it! You don't need to allow guest access anymore, it's like a workaround (on which you have control) the whole anybody guest mapping of samba.

• Hi i been having the same issue when i try to write to my media folder it saying access denied nothing i do seems to work. i left all the settings to default in samba i give read/write to all guest and media still nothing.

• OV 1.0.20 i create a guess account after the account i created at the start mediabrowser was not allowing me to write the folder Media. This should not be so complicated to simply write to a folder you created. I look at all the other comments try to understand why so difficult. someone should do a video showing how they get they share to work in CIFS/SMB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can't make a video right now but these are the steps I use:

format volume
    mount volume
    create user - aaron - using defaults
    create shared folder - test - with default privileges
    select shared folder test and give user aaron r/w privileges
    enable samba
    create samba share using shared folder test with default settings

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i tried my head hurts now getting some rest still nothing cannot write to folders i created ;( i used FreeNAS but change because i think this will be much easier to use and update because its Debian but its not that user friendly.. ?(

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!