HP Microserver N54L - should I use TLER disks?

• Hi guys!

I'm about to setup one of these babies in two weeks. Due to an accident at work (looooong story about a VM running out of physical disk space, giving BSOD and no proven disaster recovery plan), I have recently done a lot of googling around, especially on backup and harddrives. From what I've learned, I would say that hardware RAID should only be used, if you can get a precise match of the card, should the ol' one break, otherwise you *could* be in a situation, where you have a lot of disks, but no access to the files on these...!

Well, since I'm about to use a HP N54L, you can guess that I'll use the onboard SATA controller, and let OMV handle the RAID, and in my situation I think I'll do a mirroring / RAID-1. My question is if I should use TLER enabled drives? From what I learned the last few days, in some times they make perfect sense to have, and in other situations, they actually could do more damage than good!

So - should I go for "real" NAS drives, or am I better off with just plain desktop drives? I'll keep a spare disk next to the machine, in case my mirror breaks.

/Tommy

• hi,

Zitat

So - should I go for "real" NAS drives, or am I better off with just plain desktop drives? I'll keep a spare disk next to the machine, in case my mirror breaks.

in my experience with OMV the last year is that it does not matter what kind if drives you use.
    but the nas certified drives are in my opinion the best to use i my self have 5 wd reds fore file storage and one ssd fore system.
    i think if you use those you will not have a lot of problems.

Zitat

Well, since I'm about to use a HP N54L, you can guess that I'll use the onboard SATA controller, and let OMV handle the RAID

the software raid of omv is in light of upgrade's and disc failing the best option with ma by a hot spare ;)

this is my 5 cents tho

greetings steel

gr. steel

Cooler Master CM 690 III with 650 watt 80+ gold power supply
    AMD A8-5600k processor
    8 GB ddr 3 1333 ram
    crusial 120 ssd
    5 x 2 TB WesternDigital red harddrive in raid 5
    2 intel 1000mT nic's
    latest OMV stone burner

lets get cooking .....
    don't be afraid of learning it can be fun

• So - should I go for "real" NAS drives, or am I better off with just plain desktop drives? I'll keep a spare disk next to the machine, in case my mirror breaks.

I think that really depends on what you wanna do with your NAS. Do you just want to server files and/or Media, will it be running 24/7 or just a few hours a day...
    In my case I used 4x 2TB WD Greens. At the time I bought them they were more than a third cheaper than the RED ones. Today I would by the RED ones cause they are just a few bucks pricier and defenitely made for NAS.

Well, since I'm about to use a HP N54L, you can guess that I'll use the onboard SATA controller, and let OMV handle the RAID, and in my situation I think I'll do a mirroring / RAID-1

I´m using a software RAID 5 with my N40L and the speed is more than OK (~100MB/s read and write over Gigabit). Plus you can use it with any other Linux distribution which handles mdadm.

• I'll let it run at my work for providing OwnCloud storage for myself and a few others, and as storage for some backups of virtual machines, so it'll be running 24x7.
    Just ordered 4 x 3TB WD Red, so what should I do now - RAID 5 or RAID 6 - can OMV tell me by email alerts of something is wrong, so I can replace a disk ASAP?

• I wouldnt use the greens in a raid config. They are known to break the arrays on some configs.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• That's also what I read, that a "normal" desktop drive could use op to 2 minutes fixing a bad sector, and the normal timeout waiting for a drive in a RAID would be 7 seconds - and then it would be kicked out of the array.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!