Help with choosing system drive

• Hi
    I’m looking for suggestions. I have an HP N54L and I use the 250GB “stock” hard drive as system drive. On this drive I created a 220GB partition (about 20GB are left to OMV) where I keep btsync files and a temporary download folder. This is to ensure that all data drives can spin down during the night while btsync and other services can run from the system drive which is always spinning. Everything works perfectly, but the system drive has just developed a bad sector. I believe that this drive may be on his last leg so I’m thinking of replacing it. I want to clone the current setup on the next system drive. The options that I have are:

500GB WD Blue £35 (here in the UK)
    500GB WD Re (not Red) £56
    64GB SSD drive – cost between £35 and £50 depending on brand/model.

1TB drives are in the above price range but they would be, from a size poin of view, an overkill...

Although my setup is mostly a home entertainment / data sharing system I want to ensure good reliability (data drives are all WD Red).
    The WD blue and the SSD options are both relatively cheap and probaly quite reliable.
    The Re drive is more expensive but it will give a bullet proof solution considering the standard 5 years guarantee.
    Which of the above options would you recommend? Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    FT

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the ssd is enough space, it is not a bad option.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.6 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would go for the ssd too. I don't know if there are comparable tools to L2ARC and ZIL available under OMV, but your NAS would be ready for them when it will. In my opinion, ssd is the future for the main OS in a system, if u can, go for it.

the system drive which is always spinning

I'm still new to OMV, but isn't it normal behavior for the main HDD to always spin? I had my setup ready 2 days ago and I can always hear it spinning as well. My data drives are running smoothly and I can only hear them when the data is on demand or being written on.

• I would go for the ssd too. I don't know if there are comparable tools to L2ARC and ZIL available under OMV, but your NAS would be ready for them when it will. In my opinion, ssd is the future for the main OS in a system, if u can, go for it.

I'm still new to OMV, but isn't it normal behavior for the main HDD to always spin? I had my setup ready 2 days ago and I can always hear it spinning as well. My data drives are running smoothly and I can only hear them when the data is on demand or being written on.

this is a normal behavior as the system access the dives regularly to update the logs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would you put the OS on a 500gig drive? The actual install is typically less than 5gigs, and since the OS takes the entire drive (w/o some editing on your part)... you'd essentially be wasting 495gigs.

For the OS drive, I like platter drives over SSD's for reliability. Typically, I just hop on eBay and look for 2.5in SATA drives to put the OS on. New drives in the 80-160gig range can be found with little effort.

Just checking ebay, I'm seeing them for around $29.. so I'd guess that's around 17 over there if you can find them.

• Zitat

Why would you put the OS on a 500gig drive? The actual install is typically less than 5gigs, and since the OS takes the entire drive (w/o some editing on your part)... you'd essentially be wasting 495gigs.

Hi KM0201,
    My OS drive is also used for other things (see my original post) so the remaining space would not be wasted.
    I agree on the fact that a 2.5" drive may be an interesting alternative....

FT

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!