how is swap handeled?

• I still intend to use USB stick for the OS. How is swap handled by OMV since it is all just one disk / one partition? is a file used?

Can I still install Debian and then add OMV to it? I was thinking of putting /swap and /var/log to hard disk keeping the rest on USB that should reduce read/write wear of USB. if this is not possible I will just use USB for as long as I can. an 8GB use costs 5 EUR ( probably could get them cheaper if I bough a batch), 32GB SSD costs 30 EUR (and probably has same issue with swap). might search for external drive in that price range later on when I have the money - saw an eSata external plug on server...

I just installed latest version in vbox yesterday and I must say I am impressed with the work done. and it moved to top of the testing list immediately.

• @davidh2k installed OMV on a RasPi and put everything onto the Datadisk. Only the boot files are on the SD card. Therefore he does not have that many read/writes on the SD card. So Yes, this is possible.

However - Think about using a cheap usb to sata (external HDD) enclosure. You will bite you in the arse if you have any errors and you don´t even know where they are coming from...

• However - Think about using a cheap usb to sata (external HDD) enclosure. You will bite you in the arse if you have any errors and you don´t even know where they are coming from...

cheapest one I saw was 13 EUR and would still need a hard drive. might as well buy the whole external drive for 47 EUR. don't have any old ones left as they were all repurposed.

then I was thiking esata but again expencive enclosures. will do some more search. do you maybe know of one? it's kind of too bad this server doesn't have USB 3.0. ok it's an old model. had to import it. but it was cheap and form what I read reliable. so I am ok with that now. also even now from testing flash disk (aside from boot and install) server is fast & responsive (Ubuntu+Ajenti GUI+Owncloud)

I think SSD has similar issue but the issue appears much later in time (especially with newer and better ones). so it seems something spinning would be better.

I have Openelec on PI. it's been running for almost a year now. so far so good. though that one might have less logging to do?!

• Offizieller Beitrag

So... This comes down to:

1. Spend some money and do it right.
    2. Don't spend the money, and end up having to do it twice (which almost always works out to #1 being cheaper).

Most USB's, just are just not going to last... unless you have a flash drive w/ wear leveling, etc.. it's just not going to hold up to the level of disk writing that OMV does.

• or change to another service as i now realised why there is so many writes.: mass errors in syslog (clean install upgraded to .6)
    debian works just fine on all those raspbery Pi & sd cards and openmedivault shouldn't be doing any more writing than debian . except maybe in /var/log/ which i planned to move to hard disk anyway. so the USB is mostly (99%) only read.

by the way same issue is with SSD - give them enough writes and they fail. unless you buy expencive pro version which can handle about the same as plate drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!