No driver for Onboard Netword Card - Asrock H97M ITx/AC

• tl;dr
    The ethernet adapter on my Asrock H97M ITx/AC motherboard isn't recognized during install. It's a Qualcomm Atheros AR8171 and none of the available options like alx or e1000e are working. Help!?

Long Version:
    First of, I'm a total OMV noob and not very experienced with linux as a whole, so please be gentle.

I tried to install OMV from an USB Stick and only came up tothe point where it tries to recognize the network card. It couldn't and promted me to choose one manually. So I checked the specs of my motherboard (a shiny new Asrock H97M ITx/AC with a Qualcomm Atheros AR8171) and after a short search I narrowed it down to alx or e1000e. Both of which only triggered a short flash of the interface and nothing more. I guess that's linux' way of sticking its tongue out at me.
    For the last 2 days I therefore searched high and low and came across many possible solutions that either didn't work or included too much linux lingo that I couldn't understand it.
    One solutions was to install a vanilla debian and then somehow install OMV over it, but debian itself couldn't recognize the network card either.

Just out of curiosity, I plugged in an old hard drive with Win7 that hasn't been updated for at least 10 month. It only had a driver for AR8131 and warned me of using that, but it worked totally fine. Debian however doesn't even try to use an old driver but just flashes its interface at me (probably secretly laughing at me).

Is there a way to make it work or is this board just not supported by linux and I have to resort to some windows installation?

Thanks in advance!

PS: I've seen the similar threads about the 87 version, but couldn't figure out if they actually found a solution.

• Thanks a lot!

Unfortunately - being a linux freshman - I stumble over:

3. Updated via backports to the 3.14 kernel
    googeling tells me to deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main and then apt-get install -t wheezy-backports linux-image-amd64 linux-headers-amd64
    That correct?

4. Compiled the driver I needed
    Now you lost me :(
    Which driver? Where from? How?

Any hints would be appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Take the NAS OS drive you intend to install OMV on, and either put it in a USB caddy and hook it to another machine.. or if you have a spare PC and not a laptop.. open up the PC and hook the drive up directly to the motherboard.. either one works. (might be wise just to disconnect all drives except the OS drive on that machine, so you know grub goes to the right place)
    2. Install OMV to the OS drive
    3. Once OMV is installed, Download and install the OMV-Extras plugin
    4. After OMV-extras is installed, go to the webUI and click on the "OMV-extras" menu entry
    5. Click the "install backports plugin" and let it complete installing.
    6. Once the backports kernel is installed,.. shutdown OMV, and move the OS drive back to the NAS, boot it, and see if it picks up your network connection.

I'm not aware of this driver needing to be specially compiled under Debian, and the backport kernel should be plenty.

• Thanks!

I think I'll just hook it up to my regular desktop machine and try to install there - hoping he recognizes the onboard card there ;)

I'll keep you posted on how it worked out.

• Well...

I put the harddisk in my desktop machine, installed omv, the extras and the backport kernel. Everything worked fine.

Then I put it back into the NAS, booted and it started to the command line, but I couldn't access the machine via webui. So I started omv-firstaid and tried to change some network settings. Took a while and ended with an error: couldn't execute RPC (service=network). Was frustrated and went to bed.

This morning I booted it up again and ended with this:

Now I'm confused - why does it boot to this? What does it mean (something to do with Samba I guess)? And why can't I interact in any way with it (I can type stuff, but it does not care)?

• Looks fine to me, except I would expect it to boot further. How is the accessability now?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• accessability is non-existant or I just don't know how to access it...

When I try to access the webui via browser I'll just get a timeout - assuming that 192.168.1.39 is the correct address (see screenshot above).

On a monitor hooked to the NAS I get the picture above with a blinking cursor below "bound to" where I can type commands but without response.

When the ssd was attached to my desktop computer, it indeed booted further, up to a point where it told me the address ( eth0:192.168.1.3 in that case) and asked for the root login.

• ssd was attached to my desktop computer

Ah, you didn't delete the udev rule (it isn't allways there, though), thus your OpenMediaVault names your new NIC eth1.

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant network blabla

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hello everyone. I've got the same board & problem.

Installed OMV using my Laptop. Installed latest omv extras Plugin + Backports 3.16 Kernel and moved the SSD back to the server. Boot seems normal. I get to the console login Screen. But i have no connection via the web management. My router says the server is up and shows me the ip adress but i can't ping the sever.

Any ideas?

• Ah, you didn't delete the udev rule (it isn't allways there, though), thus your OpenMediaVault names your new NIC eth1.

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant network blabla

Greetings
    David

That did the trick!
    Needed a Lubuntu on a stick to delete the file, but now it works, finally.

Thanks to everybody for your great help!

Now to plug in the HDDs and finish the configuration

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!