Grub installs on USB-drive not hdd

• Hi,

Im new to omv but I've read and prepared a lot. I made a usb memory with Rufus and omv 1.0.
    Everything works great, but when I remove the usb drive it doesn't boot, because grub installs on the usb and not my sata disk .

I've tried different sataports and usbports and changing boot order in bios. But the usb stick is always sda and grub installs here.

Please help me!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the USB used to install OMV? Grub cannot install on the USB, if it is being used to install the OS to a hard drive... so I'm confused how this is happening. I've never heard of Rufus, but it looks like it is basically just like unetboootin.

Disconnect all drives except for your installation media, and the drive you're intending to install OMV onto. After the install is complete, shut down, reconnect your storage drives. Then boot the machine and make sure the OS drive is first in your boot sequence.

• We have another Thread with the same problem here:
    Boot Grub loader for OMV-1 ISO install onto usb stick instead of SSD

The user was so kind to open a Bug-Report: http://bugtracker.openmediavault.org/view.php?id=1099

I closed the other thread. Please discuss the bug here.
    Thx

• No, I'm just using the usb instead of a CD. Don't have a CD drive. I've done everything else you say , disconnect everything except hdd and the usb drive.

Sorry I missed that thread, do you know if something has been done to try to solve it?

Anyone have an idea on how to solve this?

• In the Debian-User-forums someone has the same problem:
    http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=102889

Please have a look in your BIOS and check whether you have a option to "Detect USB-Drives as HDD". If yes, please turn it off and try again.

• Not the reason tekk... not the reason.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I don't think that is the problem though. It is my BIOS that reads my USB stick as a HDD. And I don't have any settings in BIOS to not make it appear as a HDD. Because no matter what I do the USB stick is considered the main disk, the sda. And as I don't have any alternative to select where to install GRUB (this is done automatically) it does end up on the sda, which is the USB stick.
    This is my problem, I guess I have to lend a DVD-reader and burn a DVD instead!

• Volker fixed the grub behaviour some time ago. It should install to the drive which was selected for installation.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Volker fixed the grub behaviour some time ago. It should install to the drive which was selected for installation.

Greetings
    David

Okey, but I am using the 1.0.20, has this changed in 1.0.21? Because belive me, it doesn't work, I tried multiple times with no success, diffent USB-ports, different BIOS settings etc.

You did not try win32diskimager did you?

What difference would it make? Rufus makes a bootable USB stick w/o a problem, everything else installs on the HDD, sounds wierd if this would solve the Grub problem?

• I'm not sure if the USB stick triggers anything that would avoid volkers fix that grub is written to the right drive.

And no, the fix was in some earlier version

Greetings
    David

• You can put the HDD in another system (as the only drive) and install OMV on it. After that, you can put the HDD back in the OMV-machine, boot and run omv-firstaid to reconfigure your network. The first NIC will be eth1, omv-firstaid will fix this.

• Fairly easy fix, as I noticed the same thing. When it is at the point where it says "hit enter to reboot":

Hit ALT+F2 to take to a new screen then hit enter to activate the console then type:

Code
    For SATA drives:
    grub-install /dev/sda

For IDE drives
    grub-install /dev/hda

(or b etc as it applies to you) hit enter..

• I tried all of the above suggestions to no avail with my usb thumbstick (used rufus like others to create the cd image). Easiest way I found was to boot with both drives after installation and run:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

enter through the default values until you get to the listed devices and select the actual drive you want for grub to be booted from and select that. You can then boot without the thumb stick.

Grub would not let me reconfigure using:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    sudo update-grub

It threw errors.

• I had exactly the same issue this evening. Downloaded 1.0.20 (seemingly most recent version from the omv site), wrote the iso to a USB drive using unetbootin, installed omv on a SSD and then could only boot with the USB attached. pw2002au's solution fixed it, but it would throw a new user i guess.

Probably down to a particular BIOS, USB drive, HD drive combination, but still. It's a bummer.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc

enter through the default values until you get to the listed devices and select the actual drive you want for grub to be booted from and select that. You can then boot without the thumb stick.

• I am experiencing the same issue. I am attempting to install OMV (1.9 amd64 ISO from sourceforge) onto a USB hard drive (in order to save a SATA port) from a bootable USB thumb drive.

The installation goes off without a hitch... except when GRUB installs. I noticed that the USB thumb drive (OMV ISO) is identified as /dev/sda and my USB HDD is identified as /dev/sdb. During installation I get a warning about multiple disks present. I select the USB HDD (/dev/sdb) and the installation proceeds. When it gets to the GRUB installation, I noticed (only a brief moment on-screen) that it was installing GRUB to /dev/sda (my USB stick), and sure enough after installation I cannot boot from the usb stick anymore and have to re-image the ISO (with Win32DiskImager). I also could not boot the USB HDD that OMV was installed on.

I tried tx.canyon's solution:

Code
    ~#: grub-installer /dev/sdb

but I get the error: "ls: /dev/sdb/proc: Not a directory"

As part of another test, I tried a freshly imaged USB drive onto the same HDD (except now plugged into a SATA port) and the installation was 100% successful.

Has anyone else managed to install OMV onto a USB hard drive?

• Hello I have the same issue trying to boot from my ssd drive in my microserver gen8 after instaling omv from USB stick.
    I tried dpkg-reconfigure with no success and also grub-install /dev/sdb with no success either. Is there an easy 100% way around this issue?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!