OMV on Banana Pi - BanaNAS

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is $100 for cubox-i2ex vs $60 for Banana Pi. The cubox-i4pro is $140 but it is a quad core machine with 2 gb ram. The cubox-i also come with power adapter and microsd card :) Banana Pi doesn't support CEC from what I read either. I guess I was just disappointed in its media capabilities.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yeah... Media Center seems to be a no-no on the Banana. But everything else seems to be quite feasable.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• @cyryllo Do you have one case left? (It looked like you made multiple...) If so, what would you take for it incl. shipping to your neighbour country?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I ordered a module http://forum.lemaker.org/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=3402
    I'm going to test it on Banana Pi. I prepare the case for a greater number of disks :)

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• Hi Cyrillo

Please keep us informed about that. I was interested into building my new nas with a port multiplier, but I'm not sure this is a great idea : I saw banana pi has a single bus between its CPU and USB+ethernet+sata.

I'm not yet running mine : still waiting for the GlusterFS plugin ;)

I'm now wondering which is the best architecture :
    - a single banana pi with several hard drives (I'm targetting a 4 drives array)
    - a five banana pi cluster : 4 driving a single HDD and the fifth sharing the content of the others thanks to GlusterFS.
    - A four banana pi cluster each of them having a drive and one of them being a frontend to my LAN.

By the way, tekkb, how about the GlusterFS plugin ?

I'm also working on designing a big 3D printer to print a rackmout case for this array. my home made 19" rack has some more free space :)

My wiki : http://howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org

= latest setup =
    proxmox VE 6 hypervisor on a J1900 CPU + 8GB RAM
    guests : OpenWRT (VM), OMV 5 (VM), Samba 4 domain controller (LXC)
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry about the glusterfs plugin delays. Hopefully, I will have something for you to try this weekend.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• @ftriscari : some years ago I was running my server on a mini ITX system (atom 330 based). I'm still having this computer, but it cannot handle more than 5 drives, and the case does not allow me to put the fifth drive.

I'd like to find a setup with less limitations, and wasting less power. Thats why I'm trying now these ARM single boards.

And, sure, that's more fun :D

@ryecoaaron : If you release a first RC, I'll try it at least 2 of my banana pi.

@all : By the way did someone test a driver bigger than 2 TB on a banana ? I read everywhere it supports 2TB max HDD, but I don't undrestand it cannot support bigger ones. I'm thinking about computers with a BIOS limitation to 8GB drives. As far as I know, all limitations on HDD size were removable by some software trick (8GB, 128 GB, ...).

My wiki : http://howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org

= latest setup =
    proxmox VE 6 hypervisor on a J1900 CPU + 8GB RAM
    guests : OpenWRT (VM), OMV 5 (VM), Samba 4 domain controller (LXC)
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

• I have a model with chip JMB321 and when connected to my BanaNAS 1 disk everything works ok. Tomorrow I will test on more disks.

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• I managed to run two drives. It works well. Remains for me to test the performance between disks. I had recompile kernel and remove flag AHCI_HFLAG_NO_PMP.

• You have exactly the same model of my port multiplier card :)

Very good news to hear, if it works with the banana a very cheap (and very energy efficient) build of an OMV box is possible.
    Please let us know how your tests are going.

• I test transfer between 2 disk and get max 40MB/s (average speed ~25MB/s). Copy file 1GB.

• I'm new to OMV and NAS building, but I'm intrigued by the Banana Pi as a single-drive NAS. Ultimately, I would like to build a NAS primarily to serve media (HD Movies/TV) through the house to various android boxes running XBMC. Assuming my network doesn't have an issue, would the read/write of ~30Mbps be enough to stream media to a single user? What about multiple users?

My spouse isn't a believer, and I'm thinking this could be a cheap build to prove the benefit of a NAS before building a much more powerful box. Still, if it won't serve a single user, it won't really help me out

• would the read/write of ~30Mbps be enough to stream media to a single user? What about multiple users?

Yes this is no problem. Before I had gigabit ethernet, I streamed FHD 1080p BluRay backups over 100MB/s. No Problem.
    Therefore multiple users should also be no problem. But keep in mind, without transcoding.

• Yes this is no problem. Before I had gigabit ethernet, I streamed FHD 1080p BluRay backups over 100MB/s. No Problem.
    Therefore multiple users should also be no problem. But keep in mind, without transcoding.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Yes, I'm planning on it acting as a simple file server, no transcoding needed. Thanks for the reply.

• Oh, tell your wife she will be.... she will be.

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• hello cyryllo
    what is your model of 3D printer ( profi3dmaker ) ? and with what program did you design your case? tinkerpad? ( autodesk 123d design )

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!