My single drive silent NAS HP T5740 thin client build

• Hello to all, I'm from the Netherlands so excuse already for my bad english.

I was searching for a small NAS for at home. I have not much space, and it should fit in the cabinet where my TV is standing on.
    There is also my xbox, and a media player (playonhd) and a stupid double drive cheap nas thing wich is as slow as sh*t running up the hill. (copying 2 MB/s with cable) and a netgear 100/1000 8 port switch wich is connected directly on my modem.
    On my work, there where some old thin clients available, and tested them with NAS4FREE, Freenas, but that wont work fine at all. After rebooting losing drives that kind a things. Also that thin clients comes with via chipsets so I put them back in the box where I finded them.
    Searching on internet, for other NAS software, and intel thin clients brought me here My Single Drive NAS Project
    And yes, this should also be my ideal setup!
    Searched on a second hand market place and found a guy which sells older thin clients, and he had 2 of the T5740 available. I got them both for €50 complete and at home by mail.

On one I installed Openelec/XBMC, I had first to disable the serial port otherwise it crashes with installing. Is running fine by now. Later I put in a Broadcom BCM970015 crystal hd card (msata half format) for better 1080i perfomance and yes it works really fine.

Back to the other thin client, OMV i386 image downloaded and installed in on the internal ide DOM. Because they said it was better not to install it on a usb thumb or something, while debian will destroy that kind a drives. I choose for the internal ide dom, I couldn't find any fabric specs but found on other sites some specs that they do some dynamic wear leveling. I'm not sure about that but I take the risk.

I shall later put in a msata ssd half format 32gb, where I shall try to clone the installation partition on.
    Also ordered a WD 2.5 red 1tb disk, the ideal disk for this system. A sata 22pin cable will connect the disk, but the one I get is to high, the cover of the thin client cant be closed. I ordered now by dealextreme a cable which looks flatter, not so high. I hope that this one allows me to close the cover, then its finished for me by now.

Today I've updated to 1.0, and all is running fine. sabnzbd plugin is running fine on the system, copying files from my laptop with ethernet cable gives me speeds around 80 MB/s so I'm very happy with that. I streams perfectly to the other T5740 with XBMC / no drive. Maybe later, I will add a green drive to the xbmc one, to rsync the xbmc to. But the xbmc with the crystal hd card and without harddisk, is getting a lot hotter than the OMV with drive.
    Maybe is the 1.5tb green of my playonHD better, usb backup, enclosure it. I have to see over time what's best. The cheapest is to use the older disk as external one but because of the little space I have to do things manually and dont like that :) I will see.

Pics of the build:

Drawing the HDD on a small paper to get the holes, taping it on the cover to drill and cut holes.

And yes you have to remove one of the vesa points, easily with a pliers

I put on some spacers, to not let the disk hit the cover, you dont want the risk of short circuit anything. I couldnt get the right spacer on the photo because the magnet in it moves that ring automatically :)

You need really flat screws otherwise the platic cover wont fit anymore, I cut some longer screws shorter for it.

The disk mounted on the cover

Here the thin client slots, showing a SATA 22 pin, IDE 44 pin DOM, mini pci-e / msata half format slot, and a full PCI-E slot, wich can be used for a HP Expansion module, which makes your thin client wider and allows to attach a pci-e card like videocard or network card that kind a things.
    If I can get one cheap I will buy one, allows me maybe to build a raid or other nice things.

• Hi yes I am, today got a 32gb ssd msata card but did not recognize. Also not in my notebook, maybe it's DOA or something.
    Do you have such kind ssd tried?

---------------------------------------------
    My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

• mSATA SSDs do not work in Half size mini PCI-E slots (at least its uncommon if they work.)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I absolutely love repurposing these thin clients for such an useful thing. But it is quite challenging to add a 2nd hard drive to these. Unless you can get an SSD PCIe card with its own storage controller, I'm afraid that your options are quite limited.

Here's an idea: You could add an actual, separate storage controller for the mini PCIe slot and add a very thin SSD drive:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-…Solid-State/dp/B00EO09CCE

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech…3&keywords=mini+PCIe+SATA

Just make sure that you insulate the SSD with a sheet of plastic or cardboard, if it fits.

• mSATA SSDs do not work in Half size mini PCI-E slots (at least its uncommon if they work.)

Greetings
    David

Maybe not, my notebook has half size WiFi bit full size slot. Didn't do anything.
    I wi try another notebook to be sure, transcend says that it has to work in every common notebook. That's why I think it's dead anyway.

• That's a full height pcie adapter, maybe it's gonna fit but then I have to remove the clamp on the motherboard and make a new one to serve full height. There is some space left for it.
    And the thing doesn't supply power.
    So of the half size msata ssd so t work, no problem at all. It would be nice to use the capability if possible.

Maybe it's better to find the http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/…=1407647271&robot_redir=1

Expansion module kit but most of the are listed in the USA, so shipping is around 2x the price of the module itself and 3x the price I paid for the whole thin client...if someone has closer contacts who sell these thing let me hear! (uk / Europe )

• Hi DaWauZ,

maybe you try here? http://www.uc-solutions.co.uk/…ient-t5740-?prodid=135722
    And maybe here? http://www.lambda-tek.com/AZ55…PCI-Exp-Module~cs/1931551

Seems I gotta lot of luck with mine, these things become very rare...

HTH
    Murphy

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Dropkick Murphy ()

• The expander does come up on eBay from time to time.

Nice build and similar to my SSD conversion of a T5745

Some great info on re-purposing thin clients here...
    http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/index.shtml

So far I have a T5745 + 128gb SSD, a 10zig 1.6 Atom + 32gb mSATA and a T5325 1.2ghz ARM + 16gb mSATA - both mSATA conversions are with an IDE to mSATA adapter.
    Most of this stuff is cheap on the 'bay nowadays.

Next project is a mini iTX Atom board in an old Shuttle XPC case with 3 drives (OS on 1xIDE and RAID 1 on 2xSATA for data) plus OMV...

Nigel.

• Hi I've seen parkytowers site also, also your build which inspires me too.
    Can you post some pics or link to that adapter? Maybe I can use my msata card with it. It has to fit in the enclosure without expansion slot...

• I already orderd the last one you noted, should be in house soon. But the T5740 is really slim, the first one you said is from IDE to MSATA card, I do think it doesn't fit, then I have to use a female-female 44 pin cable and mount the card probably also on the metal cover inside. For my OMV one is that not really the option because I have OMV installed on the IDE DOM. Or if its possible, I have made an backup with acronis, maybe can I put that back on the msata card, and then repartion the rest of the card.

• hi tnx, I will look at that.Its really amazing how well the TC performs, also with sabnzbd

Next thing is to measure how much power it really uses.

• My T5745 is running 24/7 and is connected to my weather station gathering data every 8 seconds.
    It uses around 11 watts idling and 13 watts when it creates/updates images for the internal web server.
    It has a single Crucial 120Gb SSD.

• OK tnx, I will compare.

By which OS / software / plugin do you collect the weather data?

It would be nice if http://www.domoticz.com/ would be available as plugin in OMV, I would donate for it!

• Yeah I asked earlier, I dont know if its possible at all, I hope so!
    Or something simular. I would like to read out my electricity and gas meter

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!