HPE Proliant Servers

• Offizieller Beitrag

It depends on the source. It might be able to do transcoding at less than 720p, but it may choke beyond that. Remember that you are exclusively using the CPU for transcoding without GPU assistance.

• So you might have seen my other post on another thread, HP Gen 8 OMV build, but I haven't gotten any responses on that.
    So I found this specialized thread, and I hope I can find my help here ;)

I bought the Proliant MicroServer G1610T, knowing how to install an os on a pc (I run dualboot to Linux on my pc), and thinking installing OMV on a server would be the same.
    Of course I first tested it out in a Virtualbox (on my PC), to test all the features and to learn how to use it.
    I did know the server had a special little "configuration/setup OS" inside it(most likely to make it easier to configure/setup), but for me it hasn't made anything easier, but even harder.
    The first struggle was getting it up to date. The update menu in Intelligent Provisioning didn't work (couldn't contact HP while I did plug in ethernet cables), so after some searching through the countless pages in the ultra slow HPE website, I found SPP's.
    BUT, I couldn't download them -.- I'm still not sure what you had to do to get the download, but I couldn't get it this way. So I contacted HP technical support, kindly giving me a link & login credentials for their ftp site, giving me access to the latest SPP.
    Then I had to get it on an usb stick. Rufus, my go-to with USB ISO installations, didn't do the trick, so I had to use HP's old software, which worked like a charm.
    I installed the updates to the machine, but it took so long (USB I used is kinda slow), that I didn't watch the process. So when I got back I found it stuck in "analysing the system" or something. I remembered that's how it started the update, so I thought it rebooted after installation, and ran into some error because it was already installed. So I did a long press of the powerbutton, and moved on. To this date I have no idea if it updated or not. No visuals really changed, but the SPP might've only included bugfixes.

So now I'm finally ready to install an OS. But again, struggles. My plan of using my (not unpackaged) SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB stick fell through, when I read in one of the notes included, that the USB 3.0 ports are not enabled before the OS loads.
    This means I can't use the max of my USB stick, meaning I shouldn't have bought this fast usb stick. Me googling for answers like I always do, found the ODD Sata port trick. I also knew there are adapters to convert sata to usb 3, so my idea was to use a sata cable, a floppy to sata power converter, and a sata to usb 3 converter to be able to plug in an usb.
    With this plan in the back of my head, I tried to install it to a test usb stick, to not have to pull the SanDisk out of the packaging (and losing warranty). But then I came to the problem of not being able to use my raid setup of 2 WD Red's, because I couldn't find how to setup OVM with HP drivers.

So. I am struggling a lot trying to get this to work, and sadly I have to admit I need help.
    Please don't give me any homeserver slang, 'cause I'm just a techy person, and hardware & OS installation just aren't my cup of tea.

What is the best, fastest & cheapest solution for me?

I have this thing for a week now, and I'm kinda getting pissed of setting it up. I really wanna have this running, so my family can put our photo's & video's on it.
    Here is a list of the things I have already:

- HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T
    - 2x WD Red 1TB
    - SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0 32GB

Feel free to exchange the usb for a better OS drive solution, but the 2 Red's are unpackaged, and cannot be returned.

Thanks for the time reading this enormous post I shouldn't have made this big,

-JustRamon

PS: English is not my native lang, so please keep in mind that spelling errors can occur.

• in a nut shell.... this is a PITA to setup without a supported OS, and linux versions supported are RedHat and Suse enterprise...
    the only way i found to do it is to setup the disks as raid 1, mount the OMV iso using the virtual media item in the iLo.. and install by booting the ISO that way.
    This means you need to install OMV on the big raid partition, boot a recovery disk, repartition the OMV install partition and then use the remaining space as your storage.
    its a way too hard process to list every step but the good thing is that you have all the hardware and can have a few go's at it to get it right before you do it for real.
    Good Luck!
    (i should add, this is not how mine is setup, i have an LSI raid PCI card that supports more than 4 disks, i have a 4 disk raid 10 on it and a 5th disk (ssd) hosting the OMV OS)

• in a nut shell.... this is a PITA to setup without a supported OS, and linux versions supported are RedHat and Suse enterprise...
    the only way i found to do it is to setup the disks as raid 1, mount the OMV iso using the virtual media item in the iLo.. and install by booting the ISO that way.
    This means you need to install OMV on the big raid partition, boot a recovery disk, repartition the OMV install partition and then use the remaining space as your storage.
    its a way too hard process to list every step but the good thing is that you have all the hardware and can have a few go's at it to get it right before you do it for real.
    Good Luck!
    (i should add, this is not how mine is setup, i have an LSI raid PCI card that supports more than 4 disks, i have a 4 disk raid 10 on it and a 5th disk (ssd) hosting the OMV OS)

Ah didn't think of that. 1 problem: the ILO virtual disk cuts out after boot (because ILO without advanced can't mount iso's after boot) , meaning that during the os installation start, the virtual disk will get unmounted, and the machine will just freeze not knowing what to do.

Recap to see if I understood:

1. Mount the omv iso in some way. (usb would work too in this situation)
    2. Boot the omv iso, and install to the big raid 1 logical drive
    3. Use some recovery cd to remove all the space from the raid, exept for the omv part, then make a new partition that is going to be used as storage

There is 1 problem I'm thinking of. Raid drivers. How do I get that recovery iso and the omv iso/installation to detect the raid and list everything properly?

Thanks if you have answers,

-JustRamon

• OMV has a recovery option included in one of the plugins I can't remember which, sorry but it boots from the same grub boot menu once it is installed maybe someone else can give you the direction for this as I am not near my machine right now
    you are correct about the ilo only allowing access during boot so maybe you will need to find an external monitor just for the install

• There are no Raid drivers.

The Microservers do not come with a hardware RAID and therefore you simply use the Linux Softwareraid. That is good, cause you do not need to deal with any drivers.

Regards
    Ser

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Just putting together a new NAS build on a Gen8 (G1610T) Microserver. I downloaded the latest OMV ISO & created a new installation USB Key. I then booted the Gen8 Microserver from it (no hard drives installed) and installed OMV to a 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade USB key in the internal USB slot. This all worked as expected, however now I cannot boot the Microserver from the newly created OMV USB key. It just loops around trying to boot from the LAN. I've checked all the BIOS settings carefully. They are all default anyway, except SATA mode which has been set to AHCI. I have an older N40L microserver NAS which which is set up in a similar way with an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer USB OMV Boot drive. It boots up fine using the key I created on the Gen8 machine,, but the Gen8 server won't boot using the USB key from the N40L. I also created a second boot key in the same on a Dane-Elec device, thinking there may be a compatibility issue, but it has the same problem. The Gen8 also boots ok from other USB keys I've tried, such as Falcon4 & Hirens!
    Any ideas/help greatly appreciated.

• Thought I would share this.

I have a HP Micro G7 N54L, and was running OMV on a USB stick, but risking the USB burning out with all the writing/reading.

Decided to go the root with a small sized SSD connected via USB instead of going through the CD bay.
    I have to say it seems to be working a little quicker than the USB 3.0 drive I had in there as well. I know it's not as fast has a native SSD installed, and I may do it one day. But this was a quick replacement for the USB thumbdrive. I did a "dd" to copy and I was up and running in 5 mins again.

Running Plex, transcoding no problems. Yet..... :)

16GB version:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-5-SATA-2-8GB-16GB-32GB-SSD-MLC-Flash-Solid-State-Disk-Hard-Drive-For/1923042574.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pcs-2-5-inch-USB-3-0-SATA-External-Hard-Drive-Mobile-Disk-HDD-Enclosure-Case/808093406.html
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item…osure-Case/808093406.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item…osure-Case/808093406.html

• Just got a DL360 G7 and trying to install OMV but when it gets to the configure your network part it can see all four nics as Broadcom Corp NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabyte adapter but they all fail when trying to get IP and info via DHCP.

I can connect via iLO and I can see that everythign looks ok.

when I slide out the little system thinggie above the power button I can see that port 1 is green.

anyone got any thoughts? I know not too much details but that is all I got.

• Update: I pluged in 3 of the nics and got one going. However the probelm I have now is that once OMV is installed, I can only see the one RAID array that I created to load the OMV OS on to. I can't even see any of the drives. Is thee somethign I have to do to allow OMV to access the RAID controller?

• So I found out the 410i RAID card that the DL360 has cannot do JPOD so I made each one a single raid 0 and then OMV can see them.

Next I need to get the internal SD card reader working so I can boot from the SD card and save a drive. Anyone got any experience geting a OS to boot from the internal SD card. I did some reading and it looks like there is a ESXi installer (haven't been able to downlaod it but they say it's out there) that can install to the drive but can I install OMV to the SD Card? I can't actually get the hardware to even see my sd card, but I get a new on on the way and will arrive tomorrow.

• i think it only works with certain sd cards, i remember reading somewhere that HP sell the cards!!!
    here it is : http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-9872ENW.pdf

Prerequisites
    The following elements are required for using Intelligent Provisioning to deploy an OS to an SD card for an HP ProLiant Gen8
    server:
    HP ProLiant Gen8 server with Intelligent Provisioning v1.50 or later
    Host ROM dated August 20th, 2013 or later
    iLO 4 v1.30 or later
    HP 32GB SDHC Enterprise Mainstream Flash Media Kit (Part Number 700136-B21) or HP 32GB microSDHC Enterprise
    Mainstream Flash Media Kit (Part Number 700139-B21) installed in the server.

• Thanks for the notes, appreciate any assistance. I checked on them and those are like $50 for the SD version. Also I have a G7 and everything I read says only a G8. Why would you put the slot in a G7 and not let me use it? Also I only got iLO 3 and it says requires iLO4.

I got HP Service Pack for ProLiant 2015.10.0 and flashed everything to the latest and greatest firmware. so things are up to date.

I was able to change the boot order in the BIOS so it may support it.

I'm gogin to do a bit more research before I spend the $50.

I'm trying to use a microSDcard slotted into a SDcard case thing and I can't event get the BIOS to see the SD card.

I know about not installing OMV on USB devices so if I can get it working with a $10 SD card it would be fine. I have antoehr server I use and I can backup the HP to that so if the SD card dies I just pop in another. That works fin if I can get it going with a $10 SD card. If I have to use the special $50 SD card that is not going to work at all. :)

I'm borrowing a few SD cards tomorrow, diffent brands and such and will let you know if any of them work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The SD cards can be of any brand and they appear as USB drives to the BIOS, so you may want to just move USB devices to the top on the boot order. The idea is to load ESXi on these cards, but just about any OS can be loaded.

• Hardware: a G2020T Gen 8 MicroServer with 8gb and 1 x 2 tb red wd

Quick Note: If you want to use an microsd to install Debian that works, but if you read the HP docs
    the internal SD card MUST BE FORMATTED FAT. NTFS WILL NOT WORK. I tried this with FreeNAS and
    it worked fine, though actually I burned it with powerISO so...

Caveat: Don't grumble at me for running on USB stick. It's cloned, but I didn't feel buying a standard->sata
    power adapter.

So I installed FreeNAS first. It was fine, but just really overkill. So ...

1. Updated bios to latest J06 (think it's Nov 2014 or 13)
    2. Switched to AHCI Sata mode in bios. Heard it's horrendous trying to use the SmartArray b130i controller.
    3. Ran into Grub issues, even LILO wouldn't install right while trying to install 2.1 OMV iso from thumb drive..so...
    4. Downloaded a Debian 7.8 distro, just get the netinst version. You can't use anything above 7.8 to install OMV.
    5. Burned this to a thumb drive.
    6. Stuck a new SANDISK usb stick in the internal usb port.
    7. Booted debian install from the other usb stick and installed to internal usb drive.
    8. GRUB installed fine.
    9. Rebooted. Followed apt-get package install for OMV. Installed 1.9 -- then upgraded to Stoneburner.

Works fine. Hope lasts long time. Will probably have to stick a small sata boot drive in at some point.

Just contributing. Many of the reasons I ended up doing this were from posts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!