HPE Proliant Servers

• There is a trick that I'm using, set raid mode in bios, that's basically another name for ahci since the access is done through ahci and then you can boot from the odd port :)

Tried that once .. installed OMV onto the ODD including everything, added 4 HDD's to the device on RAID .. and than the device wanted to boot from the RAID part and not the ODD part ..

So I stick with the USB grub / ODD function. It works ;) and if something works: keep your hands off it ;)

5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• I guess your question is "Why does it forget the RAID configuration?" and not "Why does it stop on boot, if RAID configuration is invalid?"
    Do you switch off the power supply or do you shut down he regular way?
    Are you sure the SSD is ok?
    Any other messages in ILO?

Right, that is my question! I am following what seems a well worn path to use the ODD port to boot from. Here's a video desctibing the procvess I used:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

The SSD seems fine and boots perfectly when the RAID 0 configuration is restored. Maybe the CMOS battery need replacing or do new computers have such a thing any more :) ? I guess I wil need to log a call with HP as it is so new ..

• Tried that once .. installed OMV onto the ODD including everything, added 4 HDD's to the device on RAID .. and than the device wanted to boot from the RAID part and not the ODD part ..
    So I stick with the USB grub / ODD function. It works ;) and if something works: keep your hands off it ;)

Do you have a link to setting up a USB boot to in turn boot from the ODD SSD drive? Thanks ..

• I used this link to setup mine but you can install OMV on an micro SD card and install that in the gen8 but you need to find the instructions on this forum as you also need more plugins to stop the excessive writes to the card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• And this is my how-tp
    https://www.aroundmyroom.com/2…10t-booting-with-usb-odd/
    I derived it from a german blog .
    I use a sata cable a floppy to sata power and a 2,5 inch HDD ..
    ISO with OMV is on a SD card and than booting
    a USB thumb drive is ready to be used afterwards for the boot with grub, the SD card is removed after the installation on the HDD.

(Busy with migrating to 1 NAS) Puffer: 4x3TB RAID5; Nemo:4x3TB RAID5; Shark: 4x2TB RAID5 and Whale: 4x10TB UNIONFS with SNAPRAID

• Really? My wife would kick me straight in the arse 8o

aaahahahah .. no this is not in the livingroom (although it could be and it might seem that way) .. .. this in the attic ;)
    and I am lucky with my wife .. she likes technology too ;)

• Why do you need 4 servers in a private scenario?

Why?
    1. Because I can
    1a. Because I like OMV ..
    2. I've developed a business/consumer NAS for a brand a few years ago and one thing I do not want are features in the NAS which are not storage related (like torrent downloader, etc. )
    3. Split music and video, images and other data due to amount of data (music is around 2TB), video around 5TB
    4. run a VMware with all the software I do not want to be ran on a NAS (filecloud, sonarr, sabnzbd, spotweb, deluged, etc..)
    5. My wife likes it
    6. I like to do things multiple times, like configuring, testing and using
    7. From my previous job I had still HDD .. so use them ..
    8. you guys like this nerd factor
    9. etc.. ;)

• 5x HP Microserver Gen8, 4x with OMV. (3x OMV4 and 1x OMV5)

• Someone an Idea

my HP Microserver gen8 is generating an error in /var/log/messages

Sep 4 07:40:36 shark kernel: [2474833.414701] ACPI Error: SMBus or IPMI write requires Buffer of length 66, found length 32 (20110623/exfield-285)
    Sep 4 07:40:36 shark kernel: [2474833.414706] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PMI0._PMM] (Node ffff88027fc8bd08), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20110623/psparse-536)

is a feature I have triggering this? I see it on multiple gen8 with openmediavault happening now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi all!

I'm new to the OMV world, and I'm running OMV 2.2.7 on:
    Home Server: HP Proliant G7 N54L
    Ram: 4 Go ECC (2x2 Go) - Stock HP
    Bios: Tobi_Oo (01-12-2013)
    OS Disk: Kingston SSDNow E-Series 32 GB
    Storage Disks:
    4xSeagate NAS HDD 3 To - Raid 5

So I have around 9TB of storage which is enough for my needs ;)
    I am really happy to be now on OMV because it's based on Debian, so it opens my the world of open source! <3

Home Server: HP Proliant Gen 8 | CPU: G1610t | Ram: 8 Go DDR3 | OS Disk: Kingston SSDNow E-Series 32 GB | Storage Disks: 4xSeagate NAS HDD 3 To - Raid 5 | OS: OMV 2.2.13 Stone burner + Docker

• Offizieller Beitrag

A G6 server with a controller from that generation will easily take a 2.5" SAS or SATA drive of any currently available size. I think the largest I've seen on that size is 3TB, and yes, the server will not have a problem with it.

There's a caveat though. You can use any drive larger than 2TB as long as is not a boot drive. For you to be able to boot a drive above that size, you would need UEFI and that's only available on Gen9 servers.

Just use a small SSD for boot and use the rest of the bays for your array, and you'll be all set.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!