HPE Proliant Servers

• Hello,

I'm trying to install OMV 2.1 on a ML110 G9.
    Once solved the small problems related to the UEFI bios option, I'm now stuck with the NIC not being recognized.
    Based on the official HP specifications, the board is equipped with a Broadcom 5717C0 Dual-port 1Gb.
    It seems that the usual tg3.ko module is not supporting this NIC and even the installation of the Debian 7.11 no-free (including firmware) lead to the same result.
    Strangely enough, peeking on the HP site, it looks like that the NIC drivers provided for linux (only SLES and RH) still refer to "tg3" (eg:kmod-tg3-3.137m-3.rhel6u7.x86_64.rpm).

any hint? :)
    thank you

• So, I was trying to get OMV installed on a logical array I created (using ACU in ILO) out of 2 SSDs on the Bi20i Embedded RAID controller on my HP Gen8 microserver,
    but the OMV install does not see the Logical volume,
    it only sees/detects the two separate SSDs.
    How do I make OMV install see the Logical Array properly (to install on..) ?

I really prefer to use SATA3 and RAID-1 for the bootdrive, so I don't want to use the extra SATA single drive option.

• OMG, I see that there are just no debian drivers for the B120i hardware RAID functionality. Geez. Is that still an issue in linux server-world? Why does HP use such obscure hardware then, knowing that would be crap with Debian. https://access.redhat.com/articles/118133

• Offizieller Beitrag

RHEL 7 uses the old 3.10 kernel and maybe the driver hasn't been backported. According to the Debian page, Jessie's 3.16 kernel (same as wheezy's backports 3.16 kernel) supports. With OMV 3.x, you can use the 4.6 backports kernel which should definitely support it. So, you just need to use OMV 3.x.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• But when I use OMV3 will I ever be able to easily update to a stable without having to reinstall the entire OS and plugins? I like to be at the in-place OS upgrade level, like with debian..

Besides, I'd really prefer to use the syncthing multi-user plugin, which is intended for OMV2.*

• I guess for the software raid solution like:

B120i or B320i you could try using this version of the driver:

http://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/ubuntu-hpdsa/

For me it didn't work since it failed to build module for kernel 4.6

Code
    Loading new hpdsa-1.2.6.116d DKMS files...
    First Installation: checking all kernels...
    Building only for 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
    Building for architecture amd64
    Building initial module for 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 4.6.0-0.bpo.1-amd64 (amd64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/hpdsa/1.2.6.116d/build/make.log for more information.
    Creating index of upgradeable packages ...
    Creating index of openmediavault plugins ...

and even more info:

• Offizieller Beitrag

But when I use OMV3 will I ever be able to easily update to a stable without having to reinstall the entire OS and plugins? I like to be at the in-place OS upgrade level, like with debian..

Yes. OMV 3.x does not know it is beta/stable/etc. So, it is just like updating any other package. Updating from OMV 2.x to 3.x is a much larger upgrade that involves moving from Debian Wheezy to Jessie. If you want to use your raid controller, you pretty much need to use OMV 3.x.

but what about hp raid plugin?

It was updated for OMV 3.0.25+ about 17 days ago - read

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yes. OMV 3.x does not know it is beta/stable/etc. So, it is just like updating any other package. Updating from OMV 2.x to 3.x is a much larger upgrade that involves moving from Debian Wheezy to Jessie. If you want to use your raid controller, you pretty much need to use OMV 3.x.

It was updated for OMV 3.0.25+ about 17 days ago - read

I know, that i meant was if it has support for b120i or P222? A link for a tutorial on how to get B120i work on my omv 3.0 setup i have also installed 4.6 kernel.

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, I don't have a b120i. So, I can't really help with that. I doubt you will find a tutorial since OMV 3.x hasn't technically been released yet. What isn't working?

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to what I read, you shouldn't need an external driver. Did you try it without it? What is the output of lspci

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it sees the drives, then it sounds like the driver is working. Not sure what is wrong in this case.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree that the correct behavior is only seeing one volume (I work on HP DL380s with P410i raid controllers all the time) but you would not see any drives if the proper driver was not loaded. There is no ahci option with the P410i but I am also using SAS drives.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This seems like more work than it is worth. Why not use mdadm raid for the boot volume? You can use the standard Debian installer to do that and then install OMV on top of that. Very simple. Plus, if the motherboard fails, you could move your setup to another computer. If you use the b120i for raid, you would have to have another b120i based motherboard to recover.

Personally, I don't think the boot volume needs raid as long as you back it up once in a while (backup plugin and cron job).

• I know, that i meant was if it has support for b120i or P222? A link for a tutorial on how to get B120i work on my omv 3.0 setup i have also installed 4.6 kernel.
    Thank you

The P222 is fully supported, for me OMV 2.* showed all Arrays created on the P222 during install of OMV. I have the p222 card added to my Gen8 in the extra PCI-E slot. You could even boot from one of the arrays on that controller if you would want that. An advantage to using the P222 to boot from is that it is blazing fast compared to just AHCI, the ODD-SATA port, USB, SD-card or the B120i controller (even when it would be in RAID 0). The reason I don't want to boot from it, is because I need a really large disk array externally, so my p222 card is already occupied with a lot of other work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you install openmediavault-backup (from omv-extras), you can use the command: omv-mkconf backup in a scheduled job (within OMV's web interface) to backup the system drive (rsync files to data drive and makes a copy of mbr and partition table).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!