Restore System to new SSD

• Hi Folks,

I'm changing the system drive from 250GB SATA to a 32GB SSD.

Whats the best procedure to migrate my current config to the new drive.

I'm backing up the system to USB via the Backup plugin, but not sure how best to restore this..?

I'm staying away from imaging / block copy as I don't think this will be optimised for the SSD.

Best practice i'm guessing is to install OMV fresh onto the SSD then restore the backup from the USB...

Running current OMV 0.5.48

Thanks!

..muddling my way through linux one bit at a time....

HP N54L - OMV 5.6.20-1 - 8TB + 6TB ICY DOCK - 16GB

Mac Guru 8)8o

• I would suggest to reinstall from scratch to prevent that your fstab mounting options get messed up for the SSD. So, don't roll back your backup in that case.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• So.. I'm going to have to go though everything and set it up all over again... ?

Is there a way of getting my just my OMV config, plug-in config etc over.. being a fresh install I'd rather not fudge it..

Thanks.

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Clonezilla is the best way. You make an image and then restore it to new SSD. The new SSD has to be same size or larger though.

• Not sure how cloanzilla works when going from different media types.. sure the SSD formats differently to the HDD, plus it has fun things like trim to support etc.. which I don't know the backup image would be looking out for.. anyway.. boot is 250GB and OMV uses all of it.. so thats not going to work with new 32GB SSD..

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

Format from SSD or HDD will be the same, you can clone it just fine. For TRIM support, you just need at least kernel 3.2 and some changes to your fstab. Here's a link with more info about that: https://wiki.debian.org/SSDOptimization.

The new drive can actually be smaller, but the rule is that it has to be big enough to accommodate the data that the original is currently using. For example, if your original drive is 250GB and only 10GB are in use, any SSD of 16GB or above will work just fine. Utilities such as Norton Ghost recognizes these differences and resizes each partition by percentage, or prompts you to assign new partition sizing before the cloning begins.

Is up to you if you want to start from scratch, but there's really no reason to do that. I've moved from HDD to SSD for several systems anywhere from Debian, to Windows and even OSX. With the right tool, you'll be just fine.

• Trim should not even be in the equation in the decision to image and restore to a new drive. It can be activated after you have restored the image to the new SSD.

Does Ghost support Ext4??? I don't see it mentioned on their website.

• If only it was OSX.. would take me mins to do this.. I'm fully versed with imaging and restore... but this seems to be a bit more involved... the 250GB OS drive isn't using much space.. not at the OMV server to check exactly...but only has OS, OMV and some plugins...

@spy.. "with the right tool" ... yep.. as always.. :)

i guess i could enable EXT4 in Mac OS and as long as they mount.. I could image and restore...

.. it is me or is this more complex than it should be..?

thanks everyone for the help :D

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you resize the OS partition on the hard drive to less than 32 gb (minus the swap partition size too), you could easily clone the hard drive to the ssd with clonezilla.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ok..so i bin the swap file.. easy.. and yup.. i can google it.. but i don't want to screw up my perfectly working OMV setup... so ... safe resizing of HDD... how... off to google to check.. but be nice to get an idea from here...

thanks again..

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

Boot gparted-live to resize partition.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• thanks.. soon as the SSD arrives.. i'll break it.. sort it without any issues..

thanks again to everyone.. OMV rocks.. :) and the community here is great.. :thumbup:

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does Ghost support Ext4??? I don't see it mentioned on their website.

They did support ext3 and they do have a version of Ghost that runs on Linux, but that was a while back. I am pretty sure they handle EXT4 (not that it makes that big of a difference) and it works real well. You can use the Windows version of Ghost too to clone EXT drives, makes no difference.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What version of Norton ghost do you use?

I've used Ghost 11.5. I am not sure at what version they are at right now, never bothered upgrading from there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can also copy all the files directly to the new formatted partition drive. You have to omit /dev /proc /media /mnt and /sys

Once you copy all the files you will need to re-create those previously omitted folders, just mkdir will do it.

Finally you will need to install the grub to your new ssd to boot properly
    Also forgot you need to use rsync to copy and preserve the permissions.

also TOO MUCH work, better try the clone option, is the best and fastest way

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!