System hangs at Boot when Postfix is enabled (same with pyload plugin)

• Hi,

i am currently building my new NAS system but today after enabling the e-mail notifications my system hangs at "Starting Mail-Tranfer Agent postfix" at boot. The system is completely dead no blinking cursor just nothing. I can only do a reset and boot into recovery and disable postfix via "update-rc.d postfix disable".

I tried to enable it again after "dpkg-reconfigure" and choosing "No configuration" via "update-rc.d postfix enable". Before rebooting i tested the initscript with "sudo /etc/init.d/postfix start" and it worked flawlessly. But at the next boot the same thing happened again and i had to revert everything via recovery mode.

After that i just let the notifications disabled and tried to install the pyload plugin via omv-extras. After activating the pyload service the same thing happend at the next boot. This time the system hangs at "Starting Service pyload". So i disabled pyload and the system booted without a problem.

Specs:
    Clean install of Debian 7.6, then install of omv via packages.
    My rootfs is on software-raid 1.
    Using backports kernel 3.14
    CPU: Atom C2550
    Network: eth0 1G (was bonded, but i disabled it after the boot problems)

As the system is brand new i could do a complete reinstall but i fear to run into the same problems again.

• How did you install (and which version of OpenMediaVault did you Install)? On what type of OS Drive have you OpenMediaVault installed?

A reinstallation is not a bad idea in this scenario.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I installed Debian 7.6 via netinst .iso and in the setup process i created my raid1 for "/" and "/home". At first boot i enabled the backports repo and installed 3.14 Kernel. After the first reboot i configured the kralizec repo and installed openmediavault-keyring and openmediavault. I guess postfix came as dependency. I dont remember the exact version of the omv package i guess something like .14 or .10, i did the system install last thursday (4.9).

Edit: Sorry missed the os drive type: 2x 750GB WD-Black 2,5" HDD in RAID1 via mdadm

• I guess postfix came as dependency.

All manual installation tutorials state to install postfix with the keyring package and OpenMediaVault on a second step. So redo it this way please ;)

I.e. see here (though for sardaukar): Install OMV on Debian Squeeze via apt

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Oh, guess i was too tired that day to read the instructions properly. ;)

I will try this right now and report back. Thanks for your help!

Edit:
    I removed everything related to openmediavault with:
    apt-get purge openmediavault
    apt-get autoremove --purge
    Then I installed postfix:
    apt-get install postfix
    Then I enabled postfix and did a reboot to test if it was working correctly -> it did
    Then I reinstalled openmediavault:
    apt-get install openmediavault
    omv-initsystem
    Despite the purge nearly the whole config was present.So i reenabled the e-mail notification and rebootet -> system hangs again at boot
    I will try a full reinstall tomorrow but i suspect some incompatibilities with some service monitors or something else omv uses, because without omv and its dependencies postfix works fine.

• Sorry for double posting, but i want to bump this thread as i just did a complete reinstall of debian + omv.

I did install everything as stated in the instructions, but after configuring e-mail notifications the same system freeze happend again after rebooting the brand new system.
    I also tried to install debian + omv in a virtual machine for testing. Inside the vm everything worked fine, no hangs no freeze.

I have absolutely no idea why this system hangs at boot when omv+postfix is enabled. Postfix alone is working fine so i suspect something else which causes the freeze.

• Ok i got it to work now. I reinstalled again with following differences:

• Installing with root user (before i selected that i dont want to be able to login as root and instead get a user with sudo).
    • I installed omv before anything else (so no backports repo or kernel).
    • I installed using the remotestorage option in my IPMI interface (basically iso over lan)

I will now try to install the backports kernel and report back asap.

• I have now installed the backports kernel via omv-extras plugin and the issue reappeared, so it has to do with the kernel.
    For now i removed the backports kernel and i will use the standard kernel because i haven't had any issues with it and the main reason for backport was to get the newest version nothing else.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It probably has more to do with the OS being on raid 1 than the backports kernel being an issue. In my opinion, it is as waste of drives to put the os on raid 1. You can clone or rsync the OS drive because the OS drive doesn't change that often.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I installed on Raid1 because i plan to do some virtualization and the vms should run on the system drive so the data drives can sleep and save power. For reliability and (read) performance i choose to install a raid. I didnt suspect such issues because of a raid as system drive mainly because ive seen much more complex systems running on software-raid without issues.
    But some weird software constellation in this particular setup seems to break at least the backports kernel.

Another thing to add is that maybe its not postfix which causes the problems but the program which is started after postfix (guess its monit, at least its the next thing to print something during boot) because even when the system boots up normaly I see a little pause between postfix and monit. Are there any tools to debug the boot process to determine which service is actually failing ?

I took a look at my syslog and found many messages like these (every minute):

I havent looked into it as I plan to sleep now ;)

• Another Update from my side:

Today i tried different Kernels to see if all versions above 3.2 are affected. I tested several precompiled Kernels and the 3.12 backports Kernel.
    The results:

As stated above i dont actually need a never Kernel than 3.2 because so far everything (hardware sided) works despite my brand new Intel Avoton based system. Something either in the configuration of the backports kernel or simply the kernel itself seems to break something crucial in my system.
    I also tried to disable concurrent boot but it did not help. Maybe i will try and build a kernel myself with the config of backports 3.14 but for now i will stick to 3.2.

• Try this:

http://demo.omv-extras.org/kernel/

Maybe i will try and build a kernel myself with the config of backports 3.14

Nah. You should reuse the config from your 3.2 kernel, not the 3.14 backports kernel. ;)

Greetings
    David

• Try this:

demo.omv-extras.org/kernel/

Thank you very much! Looking at the timestamp i guess you have just built it (or at least uploaded it ;)), anyway thanks for the great support in this thread.

The kernel is working for me, i haven't had time to test it in depth but my system is booting and everything seems to start fine. Tomorrow (or precisely today) I will continue to configure the system with this kernel.

During installation the following messages appeared (nothing to worry about i guess):

Code
    Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.16.1-unofficial-omv-stable/build
     However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
     Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.16.1-unofficial-omv-stable/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/3.16.1-unofficial-omv-stable/source
     However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
     Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/3.16.1-unofficial-omv-stable/source
  • Just uploaded, but compiled about 18 dayss ago.
    It's also the RC version of the 3.16 kernel, not the final. (not sure if there is a final yet.)

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!