WD MyCloud

• Offizieller Beitrag

DSM have more functinalyty and better WebGUI

More functionality and better WebGUI than OMV?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Lets go through all these wonderful features...

Note Station - I'm sure there is a php app that could be added to the nginx plugin or a docker to replicate this. Haven't seen someone ask for it though.

Cloud station and cloud sync - Pretty sure owncloud and syncthing cover that.

Backup and replication - rsnapshot does this but may not have the pretty web interface.

DS Photo - plexmediaserver, emby, minidlna all allow you to view photos over dlna.

Link aggregation - OMV has bonding

SSD Cache - users have install bcache manually or added zfs cache. Not as easy but most users don't need it

Security features - we have a luksencryption plugin now. Most users don't need encrypted samba traffic on their home network.

Docker - we have that too.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey, i have a bit of a problem here.
    I installed omv on my WDMC and the installation went fine without errors. After the first reboot in ran the additional command like described.
    But now the GUI (website) is not reachable. I only get an error 404 (Sorry, the page you requested was not found.). I think the installation was succesful as i can run commands like omv-firstaid, but the Webinterface was never reachable.

I used the omv_2.0.2 from Fox_exe's Gdrive.

edit: Out of couriosity i tried http://mycloud instead of the IP and it worked..

• did someone try to install OMV on the My Cloud Mirror 6TB? Does it work?

Yes. (WDMC Mirror Gen1)
    Debian Jessie + OMV v3.0.13 works, but have few erros. (rrdcached take ~80% CPU usage, nfs and ftp daemons cant start, no network adapters in webgui and few other important, but not critical errors)
    Maybe later i build same for WDMC Gen2 and Mirror Gen2. But need real hardware for developing and tests.
    Maybe i build DSM5 (xpenology)... maybe...

I'm not a enginer/programmer/developer, so i need help with fixing it... I can't fix all.
    I was tired to do everything alone.

Im from Russia, sorry for bad english...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Fox_exe ()

• Fixed NFS and ftp.
    • rrdcached sometime take 90-100% CPU usage. Just disable statistics.
    • OMV v2.x works fine, include Plex from omvextras.org (But transcoding really slow - weak CPU).
    • Added Recoery to Initrd. HDD formating only if reset button presset (Press and hold Reset button when HDD led's blinking (1-2-1-2)).
      If something went wrong - start telnet server.
  • Just for fun: DSM 6.0 available soon.

• DSM 6 available for WDMC Mirror (Testing)
    • Debian (omv) available for test on WDMC Gen2
    • DSM for WDMC Gen2 - soon.

Im from Russia, sorry for bad english...

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Fox_exe ()

• Hello,

is it possible to install DSM, Open Media Vault or even the original firmware on to a clean hard drive? I tried to restore a 2tb image of the original firmware to a smaller hard drive, but that doesn't seem to work - the device won't boot up.
    It would be nice if i can use the wdmc case again somehow.

Kind regards!

EDIT: -removed to avoid confusion-

EDIT: I thought my wdmc is a gen 2, but it seems that it is in fact a generation 1 model. I followed the unbrick guide and the webgui was accessible for a short time but then it seems to be stuck when it tries to initialize itself. For the test i used an old 500gb wd green drive.

• I managed to restore a 250gb image which can be found in the wd community forum. The device works fine with the firmware version 03.04.01-219 which is included in the image.

When i want to update to the latest version, the device seems to finish the update without an issue and the shares are still accessible, but the UI is not working. I already tried other brothers and resetting the cache, but that doesn't help at all.

Can someone tell me what i could try to resolve this issue?

• Panik!

I changed my myCloud to OMV as it was posted in the first post.
    Worked perfect.

But now, after a reboot, The myCloud isn't connecting to my network any more.
    I looked into my rooter, but the myCloud is not asking for an ip-address

is there a default address where OMV bind to eth0: in image?

• Hi there,

I have a WDMC Gen1 (WDBCTL0040HWT-00) frame that I'd like to use to give Debian + OMV a try. I plan to use a 500GB hard drive.

Now, following the given instruction on the "Replace HDD - English.txt" (https://drive.google.com/open?…6OlQ_H0PxVbzZac0plbkZKeGM) document, I'm wondering about the following:

1/ How to figure out the required size for each partition (recall my hdd is 500GB)

2/ Which firmware to use? 3.x vs. 4.x? How to compare the two in order to decide?

Could anyone help?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work! ;)

• Nope. Need recovery/debrick (But you can save main config for future reinstall).For WDMC Mirror available "miniOS" (Initrd with busybox, parted and mdadm).

Thanks a lot.

That's what I did:

• debricked the WD-MyCloud
    • reinstalled OMV
    • activate the network :)

now it works fine.

Anyway I'm getting problems installing minidlna. is there any howto on that?

• Still have problems with my OMV installation...

• the disk doesn't spinn down
      In physical disk I set the properties to minimum power usage and spindown time to 30 Minutes.
      But the disk is always spinning

No idea what to do?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von woeklchen () aus folgendem Grund: fixed the raid installation, so no degraded event messages for md0 and md1

• Hi Fox,

i tried to install the mentioned file via webgui on my WDMCM Gen2, but it didn't work: it was uploaded to the machine, but it stopped while upgrading with error after a second with the suggestion to start the process again, what i did twice without success. What is the trick?

Best regards
    Jan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!