Frustrated with my motherboard

• I've searched through similar posts here, and haven't found one that is specific to the LAN chipset I'm using on this motherboard.

I just build a NAS (or what purports to be a NAS) using this board http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97M-ITXac/ and a G3258. The OMV installer doesn't find the ethernet interface and I can't seem to find a way to get the driver I need on there. According to the stats, this is a Qualcomm Atheros 817x chip.

I would prefer, for cable management reasons, not to have to install a PCIE nic, although that remains an option if someone can point me to one that works. I'm also not above swapping out motherboards if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What version of OMV are you attempting to install? If you're trying to install OMV .5 (which is the current stable).... it might just be that board is to new for Debian Squeeze.. which is a bit long in the tooth at this point.

If the failure is coming while trying to install OMV .5, it may just be your board is to new for Debian Squeeze. Try following the instructions in the link below. If it works, you'll have OMV 1.0 (which should be released any day now)... It's based on Debian Wheezy, which is much newer and probably has a better chance of recognizing your card.

Installing OMV1 - is there a current How-to?

• OK, I got Debian installed. However, it still wouldn't let me load the driver (alx) for my onboard NIC. Any time I clicked it, the screen just flashed and nothing else happened. I was able to complete the install without it, so there's that at least.

• Why the fsck wouldn't Debian include make and sudo in their base net install? Now I can't compile any drivers I do find and manager to truck over there with a USB drive.

Time to see if a Debian live CD will boot.

• LiveCD booted, but still did not load the correct driver. Was unable to make driver on the LiveCD filesystem.

If anyone knows how I can get sudo and make added to my base Debian install, that'd be great. I should add that I do NOT have an optical drive attached to this NAS.

• You can try booting the system-HDD in another PC (with another NIC) and then configure your network, upgrade to the latest OMV-Version and then install omv-extras. After that install Kernel 3.14. Put the HDD back in your NAS and see, if it is working.
    Maybe the newer kernel will support your NIC ootb.

• Why the fsck wouldn't Debian include make and sudo in their base net install?

Because no good distro would include make by default. sudo is onboard... but see below

If anyone knows how I can get sudo and make added to my base Debian install, that'd be great.

For what would you need sudo? You are/can be root... seems like you have no idea what sudo is meant for....

So go ahead and install debian in a VM and compile the driver in a VM instead. Then copy it over to your NAS

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can try booting the system-HDD in another PC (with another NIC) and then configure your network, upgrade to the latest OMV-Version and then install omv-extras. After that install Kernel 3.14. Put the HDD back in your NAS and see, if it is working.
    Maybe the newer kernel will support your NIC ootb.

I agree w/ Solo, as that is what I would do (I wouldn't install the desktop and other associated nonsense... but that's just me).. This is one disadvantage to buying something extremely new for a Linux box.

If you do the above and your net doesn't work on your first boot on the NAS, you can try running omv-firstaid and reset your network settings... Then reboot and see if it works.

• OK, here's what I've done:

1. Installed Debian Wheezy on the hard drive by plugging it in to an external doc from my laptop

2. Got a stable, working build of Debian

3. Updated via backports to the 3.14 kernel

4. Compiled the driver I needed

5. Tried installing OMV, andI get an error XXXX

Derp, I fixed it. Removed the CDROM from my /etc/apt/sources.list.

Installing now. Once it's done, I'll move it over to my NAS enclosure and pray that it works.
    Thanks again for everyone's help. It's been a real pleasure.

• IT WORKS.

I'm in, I've got OMV 1 installed, it's running, I've logged in through my webGUI, and I am on my way. I've got my disks partitioned, in this array:

1. Media 1 (2TB, ext4) [videos/pictures]
    2. Media 2 (2TB, ext4) [music/etc]
    3. Backups 1 (2TB, NTFS) [Windows backups]
    4. Backups 2 (2TB, ext4) [other backups]
    5. BackupsMac (2TB, XFS) [Mac OS X backups]

Mounted the disks, shared the folders, and am well on my way to having my first NAS. Thanks everyone for your help, I promise I'm not usually as clueless as I seem. But I haven't used Debian in a while and it was annoying me.

• So here's a new trick it's doing. I downloaded the netatalk package (to set up the Time Machine backups). I got it running, but then it quit with an error (something about disk space). When I went to go log into the webGUI to check to see if I left off a zero on the quota, it suddenly won't let me log in via webGUI. I tried several different browsers.

No biggie, I thought. I've barely done any config, let's just reinstall. I dpkg -r'd my way out of omv, reinstalled it just fine, and tried again. Same issue. Ran omv-firstaid, changed the webGUI password, got nothing. I've tried shutdown -r now several times, nothing seems to help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Doesn't OMV remove it automatically? Then it is IMHO a Bug ;)

It was a bug in one version. Volker fixed it a while ago.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!