Btrfs/ZFS support

• Some news about ZFSPlugin?.

some idea about stable or at least beta ready versión? (no need to manually download latest .deb, and use omvextras.org to install)

• I've been quite busy with "family stuff" the last couple of months so progress on the plugin has nearly stalled. I've just recently begun implementing support for renaming ZFS objects (but progress is SLOW), then the plugin might be "feature ready" for testing repo release. I've used the plugin myself in my home NAS for a couple of months without any issues (except when the core OMV filesystem mgmt changed). What do the rest of you who have used the plugin think, is it stable enough for testing repo?

• I also had been using ZFS with success. I think it's good for testing, but for a current release I might consider that:
    OMV GUI hangs for a while every time a volumes selector (that shows zfs volumes) is being populated.
    Disks by identifier, so messing with cables does not harm anything.

I did not require any recovery functionality, so I can't talk about.

• However for a beta I would expect to have add/remove features for drives within a ZFS pool as well as the replace feature.

Is this for pool upgrade/bad disk replacement? If so I have saved this for later since it's quite a big project (which I'd really welcome help with if anyone feels they have some free time :) ). Otherwise it's possible to expand an existing pool with additional disks (not log/cache though).

OMV GUI hangs for a while every time a volumes selector (that shows zfs volumes) is being populated.

I'm not sure where you are refering to? I'd like to have a look at this to see if it can be improved.

Disks by identifier, so messing with cables does not harm anything.

This should be available in a dropdown when creating/expanding pools (it's called "Device alias"). Please let me know if this is what you're looking for.

• I'm not sure where you are refering to? I'd like to have a look at this to see if it can be improved.

For example, in sickbeard, couchpotato, etc downloader that has the backup box. The volume dropdown gets hung, sometimes without being populated, and others already populated showing in gray.
    This behavior lives with me from the day I installed ZFS.

I already have 6+4+1 disks in my little server.
    I you want to take a look at it, we could schedule.

• @nicjo814
    I was more thinking of disk replacement procedure.

@Sergio
    What do you mean by disk by identifier - I once plugged drives into a different order, did not harm anything? - and I just checked in zpool status and zdb - I am using "disk by id". from the beginning without changing anything despite ashift.

• I think you are right. Perhaps I built my array when the plugin/fs still didn't have that option and I never looked back.
    I had my drives selected by ordinal, and even I had a problem with the wiring order when I replaced a disk for my snapraid array (some feel off and was trial-error)

• For example, in sickbeard, couchpotato, etc downloader that has the backup box. The volume dropdown gets hung, sometimes without being populated, and others already populated showing in gray.
    This behavior lives with me from the day I installed ZFS.

Sorry for the late reply on this. I believe the issue is a side-effect of the new OMV filesystem/volume managemt which can make certain listings appear slow. I looked quite a lot at this some time ago and some improvements were accepted by Volker. The new managemnt interface is really superb for plugin developers who want to add "unknown" filesystems into the OMV framework though...

In terms of stability I must say that the plugin works fine for almost 2 months here. I would say it is ready for beta usage.

Nice to hear! I've just recently found some issues regarding snapshots/clones that I should fix shortly.

• Offizieller Beitrag

ZFS on Linux is the only way to get zfs on linux that I know of. ZoL is production ready. The plugin is beta.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the Great work!!

I'm having issues installing the plug-in on OMV. I fallow the step describes at page 4, and I was able to make it work on a VM over Virtual Box. The next day I try to install on a VM running on Proxmox (KVM) and didn't work. I notice that OVM-extras change from 1.7 to 1.8 that day, could be related to that, I don't know, but that is another difference I identify. I hope someone can give me some advice.

I attach the Support Information File if someone want to look at it.

Regards,

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-extras had nothing to do with it. It might help to tell what didn't work.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

The zfs module probably didn't compile correctly. Try:

apt-get purge debian-zfs openmediavault-zfs
    apt-get clean
    apt-get install openmediavault-zfs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just wanted to see the output. Wasn't sure if it would reinstall spl or zfs-dkms. So,

apt-get install --reinstall spl zfs-dkms

It should compile the drive which will take a while.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It looks like it built the module. Did you reboot? What is the output of:

lsmod | grep zfs

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!