Btrfs/ZFS support

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, did the latest plugin update work for you?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was about to ask for help with this, but you were to fast again :)

:) subzero and I have been discussing it over threema.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Speaking of mounting options... Should zfs be mounted noexec like the other filesystems?

• NO!
    I hate those linux things. Like programs executing in other groups than Administrators or Users.
    I want to put my dropbox/owncloud there and be able to execute my scripts.

But my disks are waking-sleeping-waking all day long. I found that important enough to take a look. I hope no disk breaks. I removed my power savings from the ZFS array, as it's true that a disk in a stripped array it's not supposed to independently sleep. But Snapraid is another thing.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, it should at least be the default option then. All of the other OMV filesystems are noexec.

Sergio, I know you don't like it but it is a security feature :) You hate those "linux things" but OMV is Linux :) If a malicious binary is put on a shared folder from over the network, it could be executed. This is why shared folders can't be on the OS partition and why data drives are mounted noexec.

• So, I've installed the openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all.deb, selected ZFS under the secondary tab, upgraded through the update manager and uploaded the openmediavault-zfs_0.6.3.4_amd64.deb to install the plugin but I don't see the ZFS option under "Storage". It should show up under "Storage" right?

Thanks!

Edit: Never mind, installed another plugin, ZFS finally showed!

• I reverted the changes and updated insserv - however ZFS still gets mounted in time like with the fix !?

Can I apply the new ZFS plugin without danger, or will it likely brake something?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I apply the new ZFS plugin without danger, or will it likely brake something?

The plugin change changes very little - it just adds override file and resets start levels. So, you should be fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For proper reordering you need to force the remove from rcS then update defaults

insserv -r -f zfs-mount and then update-rc.d zfs-mount defaults, verify that the links now appear at rc#

ls -la /etc/rc[2345].d/ | grep zfs-mount

After that you can download the plugin, and install it, this will modify zfs-mount to be now at rcS with an override

• Outup okay ?:

Code
    root@Openmediavault:/# insserv -r -f zfs-mount
    root@Openmediavault:/# update-rc.d zfs-mount defaults
    update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    root@Openmediavault:/# ls -la /etc/rc[2345].d/ | grep zfs-mount
    lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   19 Dez  2 19:44 S01zfs-mount -> ../init.d/zfs-mount
  • Tested and the new plugin version seems to work fine. Now how do we make sure that the users can't make mistakes while installing this (installing omvextras and checking the ZFS checkbox on the secondary page) and also why the plugin isn't displayed in the browser for some users after installation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think a lot of the install issues will go away once the plugin is in the repo. The biggest problem seems to be with the kernel headers. They are installed when you check the zfs box. If someone installs the backports kernel after checking the zfs box, the proper headers won't be installed. The only way around that would be to install the headers when installing the backports kernel. I don't have a problem with that but may need to test a few things - mainly installing 3.16 kernel headers while using the 3.2 kernel.

• Hello all
    I've made several try to install this plugin

I've do a Fresh Install with openmediavault_1.0.20_amd64.iso

• Install ZFS on Linux with command line :
    Code
    wget http://archive.zfsonlinux.org/debian/pool/main/z/zfsonlinux/zfsonlinux_3%7Ewheezy_all.deb
    dpkg -i zfsonlinux_3~wheezy_all.deb
    apt-get update

apt-get install linux-image-amd64 spl-dkms
    apt-get install zfs-dkms debian-zfs

But at this stage, no ZFS menu.

A user report It's OK after a plugin install.

After install of the snapraid plugin, ZFS menu finally showed.

I think there is a problem with the reload/refresh of the menu content ?

• Yes, there seems to be some problem with menu refresh after installing the plugin. However the steps you have performed are not the right ones... Please refer to instructions earlier in this thread for guidance. With your current setup you will not have working zfs-omv filesystem integration etc.

Edit: After some consideration it might only be necessary for you to update omv to latest version to get everything working as expected.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've do a Fresh Install with openmediavault_1.0.20_amd64.iso

I see no step in upgrading OMV, the FS backend for ZFS in that version is not supported, i guess you missed posting the step, but you did it right?
    Those are unnecessary steps, specially manually downloading debs, and removing repos like that.
    The problem is with the headers and building the modules

• I see no step in upgrading OMV, the FS backend for ZFS in that version is not supported, i guess you missed posting the step, but you did it right?

You're right, between OMV install & ZFS, I've installed VMWare Tool (I'm on ESXI 5.5)
    To compil vmware tool I've do some upgrade and install
    So My OMV version is 1.4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!