[WIKI] Installing on ARM.

• The next install question is how to install on AMR in 1.0.

The challenge is that arm and the rest of the embedded world is kind of a zoo. In the i386 and amd64 worlds, microsoft kept things orderly by simplifying saying if a device (motherboard) didn't meet a set of specification it wouldn't boot windows. Their market dominance was enough to keep the PC world somewhat homogenous.

Things are slightly different in the ARM ecosystem. To deal with the differences among devices, developers came up with the Device Tree. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_tree ) The challange for distibutions, like omv, is that each device must have a kernel custom compiled with a device specific device tree.

This means one of two solutions (there are probably more I haven't thought of):
    1: A custom image for each device or class of device.
    2. A second recommend install method where the user installs debian for their device and then install OVM via apt-get.

I think, what I would recommend, is that we defer the decision for another release and continue to call arm 'testing' until 1.1. I have found a bunch of little arm related issues that might take a while to fix... which are not show stoppers for i386 or amd64.

FWIW, I am currently testing OMV on Xycel NSA325, Raspberry PI, and Beagle Bone with a Qnap TS-212P on order while working with upstream kirkwood developers to get fully functioning kernels for kirkwood processors which run most of the 1 and 2 drive NAS devices on the market.

• Interesting, maybe we should start a table of devices.

If others want to share their arm experiences on this thread, I can try to compile a table of installation methods and their experiences.

BTW, Martin Michlmayr, the author of the page to which you referred, was a debian project leader in 2003. He might be able to point us in the right direction on getting the other kirkwood patches upstream and into debian proper.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have had OMV installed on RPi, cubieboard, cubox-i4pro, udoo quad, and beaglebone black now :) It pretty much works on any arm device that has wheezy available.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

They were always board specific images. Saves a lot of time.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

The RPi model should be B and B+. I can give you a list of my other systems in a little while.

• I can confirm that the Raspberry Pi B with 256MB RAM also seems to work. But it's just a fresh system and I haven't gone far with the testing.

Added B Model with both 256MB and 512MB to the wiki and added a ref to my Raspi Thread for it. More infos will come to this thread.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von davidh2k ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

The 256mb RPi is what I built most of the OMV images on :)

• I can confirm Qnap TS-221 (RAM 1Gb) and and think all of the devices in this list will also work.

Yes, and here a lot of typos

XZycxel NSA325
    Qnap TS-22X Kirwkwood

[QNAP TS-221 1Gb RAM 2x3Tb HDD WD RED mdadm RAID 1] [Debian 7.0 Wheezy armel] [OpenMediaVault 1.17]
    VirtualBox Debian 7.0 Wheezy amd64 (backport-kernel 3.16) OpenMediaVault 1.17 OMV-extras 1.17

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. Never installed it on my Beaglebone Black. Is there a Wheezy image for the BB? If there is, install with this guide.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!