Need help: NFS for XBMC

• Hey guys!

I'm stuck with installing / activating NFS for my XBMC. As a fallback solution I activated SMB to get XBMC up and running. But I want NFC, because I want to add a RasPi in the near future.

So who can guide me step by step? I'm new to NFX and XBMC. :(

Thanks!

• well i fave 3 nfs shares for the media files and 1 for a nfs boot for my pi.

for your media shares make sure the 'insecure' option is present.

see the attachment.

but for your xbmc share thats a different story :/ settings, i don't know but db, look at the xbmc wiki
    use upnp or an sql DB on yous nas

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MySQL

but i thing you'll hav eto set both machines manualy

• Well, to get my setup up and running, I switched to SMB - but I want to give NFS a try. One thing not worked out. I can't share the passwords.xml - and don't now why. XBMC is crashing... Any ideas?

Rest is working with SMB. Now it's time to explore some addons. "Rockpalast" was definitely set and installed. :)

Who can talk me to a proper NFS-Setup with OMV and XBMC?

• Small update:
    OMV with enabled NFS is working with OpenELEC without problems out of the box.

Today I found out the hard way, that NFS and SMB is no way to go. It works on OS-base in OMV. But the Kodi-DB (XBMC-DB) will not work with that. That dumb crap of software :/ is not capable to manage relative links to an object. It uses absolute linking. :cursing: So in my DB a path is maybe smb://mediaserver/kodi/clips/mycat.mpg. Now I'm switching to NFS and Kodi (aka XBMC) thinks: "Hey, new file!" and adds nfs://mediaserver/kodi/clips/mycat.mpg a second time to the DB.

It's network-db-programmers-101 that you always will use relative links. :thumbup: But maybe the Kodi-Programmers are not networkings guys... :(

So I stick with SMB. If I got troubles with the RasPi with it, I dump it and swap to a NUC.

• That dumb crap of software is not capable to manage relative links to an object. It uses absolute linking. So in my DB a path is maybe smb://mediaserver/kodi/clips/mycat.mpg. Now I'm switching to NFS and Kodi (aka XBMC) thinks: "Hey, new file!" and adds nfs://mediaserver/kodi/clips/mycat.mpg a second time to the DB.

Told you that on the phone... :P

So I stick with SMB.

I would rather delete your database and go NFS all the way instead, because even XBMC on Windows can connect to an NFS share.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Today I found out the hard way, that NFS and SMB is no way to go. It works on OS-base in OMV. But the Kodi-DB (XBMC-DB) will not work with that. That dumb crap of software :/ is not capable to manage relative links to an object. It uses absolute linking. :cursing: So in my DB a path is maybe smb://mediaserver/kodi/clips/mycat.mpg. Now I'm switching to NFS and Kodi (aka XBMC) thinks: "Hey, new file!" and adds nfs://mediaserver/kodi/clips/mycat.mpg a second time to the DB.

You do know that the MyVideosXX.db file changes with each new release of xbmc, this is why you must use the same version on all devices that will be accessing the shared database.

This is clearly stated in the XBMC Wiki, you see the big red box?
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MySQL

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

• I would rather delete your database and go NFS all the way instead, because even XBMC on Windows can connect to an NFS share.

Deleting is not necessary. Just select "Clean Library" in Settings > Video > Database
    This removes all non existing files in the DB: all your files on the SMB-Share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Last week i've moved from SMB to NFS in my RPi to improve network performance due to a new 5gh wireless adaptor. I can share some of settings

for example in my OMV this is my setting for my only NFS share

On my OpenElec i have ~/.config/autostart.sh with this line

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    (sleep 10; \
    mount -t nfs 10.10.10.12:/export/videos /storage/nfs_nas/ -o proto=udp;
    \
    ) &

my mount command outputs in openelec

10.10.10.12:/export/videos on /storage/nfs_nas type nfs rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen=255,hard,proto=udp,port=2049,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,local_lock=none,addr=10.10.10.12)

The share is rw, so xbmc can generate nfo files, fanart or other stuff.
    Notice that the NFS share is mounted in the linux layer, not in XBMC.
    Hope it works for you. Take in consideration that mounting an NFS with UDP, nethogs wont output network speed for the share in you NAS.

• What purpose serves the script versus simply adding the NFS Network as a source in XBMC?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What purpose serves the script versus simply adding the NFS Network as a source in XBMC?

Greetings
    David

the UDP option. If you ask me now i can't remember if you can specify options for nfs in xbmc. Also xbmc uses an internal UID, so if it doesnt match the one from the share won't mount as rw. After several tries this was the only thing that worked for me.

• Even without the udp option NFS is 'really fast' on the RPi, compared to the devices capabilities.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Even without the udp option NFS is 'really fast' on the RPi, compared to the devices capabilities.

Greetings
    David

This was done after extended testing with a new 5ghz adapter. My network speed was reduced to 600-700KB/s exclusively during playback (NFS,SMB, WEBdav, ftp, SFTP tested). File transfers (nas to rpi) in the linux layer were very good, the best one strangely SCP 5-3MB/s (not playing any content of course). NFS with UDP option I was able to reach 1.3MB/s during playback, which is decent enough to play 1080p@24p.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!