Confusing - Whole thing needs sorting................

• So, as a long time OMV user I like to think I can look for certain problems when they come about.
    Problem is, the forums and any information is so confusing, no decent layout, no real moderating, from what I can see.

I am looking at upgrading from 0.5.53 to the latest, only to find out the following:
    People asking about version 6.0, 1.0, 0.5, 0.6, Kralizec etc.....................

I have no idea what to look for, what to look at even what is going on, is it only me that finds all this information confusing?

Latest version shows 0.5.48 (even though I am running 0.5.53 work that out), but I read that this is no longer supported????

Any help and advice to upgrade to the latest would be grateful also can any admins or mods take this as constructive criticism.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

You will not find any announcement for versions > 0.5.48 because they do not contain improvements for the normal user, instead these versions are for developers or early adaptors that want to upgrade to 1.0. You'll get an official announcement if the upgrade scripts are stable enough.

• my 2c, sure confused me ( maybe I'm easily confused :D )

I think its down to the .5 which I guessing was going to be .6 but then that changed to 1.x

There is also the mix of posts where some are on .5.x and .6.x or 1.x

Which makes things 'interesting' to work out.. not impossible, but its certainly confusing.

It would be simpler if there was the production threads .5.x and non prod threads.

At the moment we weed have to weed through each to find stuff..

All this will sort itself out of course once we all move to 1.x, until then it will be a bit of a muddle I guess..

I'm not complaining.. I've worked everything out so far though reading, reading more reading, translating german.. and OMV works exceptionally well..

..muddling my way through linux one bit at a time....

HP N54L - OMV 5.6.20-1 - 8TB + 6TB ICY DOCK - 16GB

Mac Guru 8)8o

• Wiki was locked due to vandalism, but i will tell Volker to send you a login. Help with the wiki is allways aprecciated.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'll start adding information about the upcoming release named Kralizec.

I understand there was an intentional jump from 0.5 to 1.0 because the software has stabilized into some that deserves to be called 1.0. (0.6 evolved into 1.0). I am still a bit lost on the final major release number as the current beta seems to be 1.0.8.

thanks

• @dfarning please pm me for more infos, I will answer later.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I'm a bit confused with all this as well, I'm running 0.5.53 sardukar and I've noticed there hasn't been any updates for a while is my version still supported ? and if not what version should I be running and how do I go about installing it ie is there a upgrade path from 0.5.53 to the latest version or do i need to do a fresh install

Many thanks

Graeme

• There will be no feature updates for sardaukar. Do you have any problems with 0.5? Not? Then why should Volker release an update? :)

There will be a way to upgrade 0.5 to 1.0 without reinstalling as soon as 1.0 gets released.

• To the best of my knowledge...

0.5 sardukar is the current supported branch. I haven't seen any bugs referring to 0.5 in the tracker for awhile, so that hasn't been much need for recent updates. If you file a bug it gets fixed pretty quickly.

0.6 Kralizec is the development branch which is leaving to a 1.0 release. I think volker had a brain fart and bumped his development tree to 1.0.0 a couple of weeks ago. As such, if you are following the branch it is already at 1.0.12. Development work on the 1.0 branch also seems to have slowed to minor bug fixes as we near release. Plugin work is continuing fast and furiously while volker creates the 1.0 images.

I have been asking for guidance on how to communicate the release number of the upcoming formal release.

As for an update path, I haven't tried it yet....

• "There will be no feature updates for sardaukar. Do you have any problems with 0.5? Not? Then why should Volker release an update?"

I'm not complaining and No I'm not having any issues with 0.5 I only mentioned the updates or the lack thereof because it made we wonder if my version was still supported that's all

Thank you for clearing that up for me it's much appreciated :)

Graeme

• There is nothing to worry about. OMV 1 is near. And like WastlJ said you will be able to upgrade without a reinstall.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!