HDD or SSD

• Hello all. I am using and old, old IDE hdd for my system disk. Unfortunately, it is starting to show signs of dying a slow death. I am trying to decide whether to go with another IDE, choose a small SATA hdd, or use a small SSD. I have a 250GB HDD and a 128GB Patriot Torx 2 SSD. But, would it be better to buy new? Also, would it be better to start fresh with Whezzy + OMV 1.0 than clone OMV 0.5?
    Does 1.0 have all the plugins? For partitioning with is the best size for the operating system?
    Thanks....

• Every options of yours is a good choice, if the SSD supports wear leveling. Just chose what you think you want to use.

Also, would it be better to start fresh with Whezzy + OMV 1.0 than clone OMV 0.5?

Huh? Install Wheezy + 1.0 and clone 0.5? What do you mean by clone 0.5?

Does 1.0 have all the plugins?

Core, yes. OMV-Extras.org, http://omv-extras.org/simple/index.php?id=plugins-stable.

For partitioning with is the best size for the operating system?

4GB is bare minimum, 8GB is 'okay'. 10-20GB is good. I personally have 28GB reserved for the OS partition and use 3.4GB.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Sorry for the poorly written question. What I ment was should I go new and install Whezzy and OMV 1.0. or clone the old hard drive to the new one.
    Also how could I use the other partition to run a more efficient system?

• install Whezzy and OMV 1.0

Yes.

Also how could I use the other partition to run a more efficient system?

Yes. Tough it is not allways recommended to do it, because the seperation of the OS and Data disks makes recovery easier.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello all. I am using and old, old IDE hdd for my system disk. Unfortunately, it is starting to show signs of dying a slow death. I am trying to decide whether to go with another IDE, choose a small SATA hdd, or use a small SSD. I have a 250GB HDD and a 128GB Patriot Torx 2 SSD. But, would it be better to buy new? Also, would it be better to start fresh with Whezzy + OMV 1.0 than clone OMV 0.5?
    Does 1.0 have all the plugins? For partitioning with is the best size for the operating system?
    Thanks....

OMV 1.0 is pretty close to ready... Personally.. It has been 100% for me. While it's still technically beta.. Volker doesn't seem to be doing a ton of work on it at the moment, as I'm hardly getting any updates these last few days.

If your SSD doesn't support wear leveling (TRIM), I wouldn't do it. So that leaves you with buying a new drive. If you can find a reasonably priced SSD with TRIM (they typically run $50-$60 here) would be an option. If you or a friend has an old broken laptop or netbook laying around, they can be a good source for a 2.5in hard drive. My first OS drive, was an old 80gig sata that I pulled from a broken laptop. When it croaked, I picked up a new 160gig 2.5in sata on eBay for about 35. With my storage drive sizes being what they are, "wasting" that 150gigs on the OS drive, is fine as it's not worth the potential hassle to try and use the rest of the drive.

• Thank you all. I am was thinking of pulling an older ssd that I have in my main computer and re-purposing it and dropping and extra 2.5 hdd in its place. I found and older 3.5 160GB SATA disk laying around that had been used for backup a while back, so frugal man that I am, I will try that at least to get my feet wet with this new world of replacing disks in the Linux world. Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

SSD if you want your webgui to be snappy and want speed. Hard drive if you are more concerned with reliability.

I had never really thought about this... Honestly, even w/ a 5400rpm platter drive.. I never really notice the webUI lagging. I'm sure an SSD is faster, but I guess I'm just not in that big of a hurry.. :)

• I will not hack anyone using a normal hard drive. Many of the smaller ones are extremely reliable. I just prefer the speed with the SSDs and make backups, because I know they do not last as long.

• Well. What really happened is that my system disk seemed to be failing. So I took it upon myself to try to get the system back up before I ran out and purchased something willy-nilly. I decided to move up in the world and try out Wheezy and Kralizec. Big problem, after maybe 10 reinstalls, I came to the conclusion that either the motherboard or the Amd phenom II x4 processor was on the fritz... (Most likely the MB) So, I've been doing some research on what the replace the setup with since, If I replaced the MB, I'd have to replace the memory and the Processor. So I was looking into getting one of those A6 Chips and the MB to go with it.... It's just two of us and not any prospect of really needing to serve more than two appliances at a time. So still being the frugal man that I am, I am choosing something lower powered. But before I let you folks go... Is there a way to install debian on SSD while shoving the tmp and log files onto a HDD? After all this and looking back of the logs, I really don't want to put that stuff into ram or a ramdisk just to be lost on the next reboot.
    Thanks gentlemen.

• SSDs can surpass hundreds of terabytes of writing. (Tests showed that many SSDs survive 10 times more writing than the warranty covers.) Not really neccessary to move the logfile to the HDD.

Greetings
    David

• bought some sandisk ssds ... 64gb for euro 42, 32gb for euro 32 (amazon).for me its a no brainer ;) And yes, the webgui feels little bit more snappy, less noise, less power

p.s. are there ssds without wear leveling on the market? thought its standard with ssds

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• p.s. are there ssds without wear leveling on the market? thought its standard with ssds

I.e. the SanDisk ReadyCache probably have no wear leveling...

Greetings
    David

• I.e. the SanDisk ReadyCache probably have no wear leveling...

Would be strange, especially for the 32gb which they sell as "cache" drive. Anyways .. sooner or later i will know :rolleyes:

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• Good morning everyone!
    I was reading this thread because I'm planning to update my OMV box and change the OS drive. Currently the system is running on an old laptop HDD with 120GB of capacity. What I'm planning is to revive the old laptop with this disk and buy a new one for OMV to live in. I'm looking at different shops online and I'm between a typical 2,5" HDD with 500GB (39,95€) (that I could re-partition to have at least 450GB for "not-much-important" data) or buying a 30GB SSD (Kingston SSDNow S200 30GB SATA3) 36€ only for the system.
    I would like advice on which setup would you prefer. I'm afraid of using the SSD and having to remove them after couple of years because it failed or having an HDD with a lot of wasted space.

My current setup is in my signature.

Thanks in advance.
    Guillem

DISCLAIMER: :!: I'm not a native English speaker, I'm sorry if I don't explain as good as you would want. :!:

My NAS:
    Always the latest OMV Erasmus running on an AMD Sempron 3850 @1.3GHz with 4.9.0 Backports Kernel
    with 120GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO for OpenMediaVault & 2x500GB Primary Data HDD + 1TB Secondary HDD for Backup & 2TB USB 3.0 External HDD for offline backup

Plugin list:
    Flash Memory, Locate, OMV-Extras.org, RSnapshot, Sensors, Syncthing, SMB/CIFS, SSH, USB Backup
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Zitat

The Schrödinger's code is that one which is going to work and it's full of bugs at the same time; until you test it, you won't be able to determine it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!