XBMC - Best practice for a newbie?

• Do you share more than the DB via the NAS, for example playlists? I had trouble, when I tried it (See above.)

My NAS does MySQL, torrents, NFS file sharing, SMB file sharing and Irssi.
    The database is accessed over standard TCP, XBMC logs into the sql server for the info.

What problems did you run into what trying to share playlists?
    Might be worth starting a new thread as this one has the potential to be hijacked. :D

If you could just go ahead and make a plugin for it, that'd be great.
    N54L/4GB/12TB

• @Dennis

NFS (I stayed with NFS after the switch from my Pi to the NUC), even tough I'm using XBMC on Windows (but that (windows) has other reasons, I would not suggest it to you) and it works just fine - no need fot NFS support in windows for that!
    Sometimes I also use CIFS/SMB.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Reason: I tried that: wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MySQL/Sync_other_parts_of_XBMC

Edit: I should read better... no I have not used it for sharing playlists and other things.

I may sound like a skipping Schallplatte: As I said. This is depracated. I would not recommend to use it anymore. It slows down the visual effects of your library much and doesn't give you any advantage whatsoever.

So no disadvantages with NFS and better performance like CaNsA said?

No disadvantages. The performance never let me down.

Why you've switched from Raspi to NUC?

Performance of the Pi was too slow for me in the end. Waiting 20 seconds for a video to start disturbed me. Also the GUI is not so fluid anymore if you have a big media Collection. The NUC is fluid, videos start within a second.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Edited my post above...

Greetings
    David

• I'm a mid-term xbmc user, so I supposed I would give you some feedback.
    I'll resume with: Don't waste your time with xbmc. =O

I started with a minimal ubuntu installation+xbmc on what it was the worst weekend of my life. I'm talking about doing 10-20 installs until I managed to get it working on my E450 Fusion board. At the time, those gfx interfaces weren't native supported.
    The functionality experience was a nightmare, specially with the library. For example, at some point the media scraper burped and changed all my media posters for the one of Van Helsing. And I didn't manage to clean it completely until two weeks ago.
    So soon I changed for openelec. All was nice and fine, and I did enjoy my setup. But still was an annoying problem: Some videos, later realized that was related with video decoding, where played with huge artifacts all through.
    One version I had to disconnect hardware accel and the next all was Ok. And then the next update it all came again, and on, and on...
    Until somewhere after generic version I completely lost sound. When I asked about it, they told me that It was time for me to buy a good receiver. I was told that developers didn't have time to support legacy outputs. I was using my venerable and inherited Marantz rigs and I recently changed them ;( for a Sony optical receiver.
    They told that optical was deprecated.

So I'm completely throwing xbmc from my house. By now I'm using the very first generic version with PlexBMC+Amber theme and the amazing OMV server+Plex that I built. That's kind of bypassing the Xbmc management (what I strongly recommend) No MySql, No lag, No Van Helsing!

But! I just bought a Chromecast and received today the Roku3. Also I'm getting closer to MB3 (.net devel there). So you guess what is next.

My recommendation: The media player(s) must be a dedicated rig(s), separated from your work or playing activities. Something that you can completely RESET if something goes wrong. If not, you'll get crazy soon. Also, power consumption, granularity of your media playing (continue playing your preferred series at the same point you let when you moved to bedroom) are a must nowadays.

And for Xbmc/openelec... I'm convinced that the problem is that their crew does not realize that a media system is not a toy. some media configurations take long to be fine tuned, and there are some it guys there that would punch them for playing with internals as they go.

Anyway, install Plex plugin on OMV to get in. If you want to use Xbmc, get Openelec* and install PlexBMC plugin and Amber theme.
    If you want something lighter and still waste neurones: RPi+Openelec.
    If you want to use and forgive: ChromeCast / Roku / AppleTv.

Just my 2c.

*Your installation problems with OpenElec may be related with getting the x86 ISO. Those are only for legacy platforms. Almost anything is x64 nowadays -> AMD64 does not mean it's only for AMD!!! That's the x64 compilation.

• until I managed to get it working on my E450 Fusion board. At the time, those gfx interfaces weren't native supported.

Well... Seems like you started with some shitty hardware with no support whatsoever and now blame xbmc for it.

The functionality experience was a nightmare, specially with the library. For example, at some point the media scraper burped and changed all my media posters for the one of Van Helsing.

Slow CPU Devices tend to have this problem like the Pi does too on some occasions.

later realized that was related with video decoding

Some videos are not playing. How in the world could that be related to the video coded not beeing fully hardware accelerated

They told that optical was deprecated.

I would like to see prove/source of that statement, as it sounds to be either total nonsense or in a totally different context.

No MySql

Well... you don't need to use MySQL, you can go with the local DB. (Tough you can't continue on another device then ofc.)

No lag

Buy a better Device.

My recommendation: The media player(s) must be a dedicated rig(s), separated from your work or playing activities. Something that you can completely RESET if something goes wrong. If not, you'll get crazy soon

Thats your opinion, because you went through much trouble with your - from my point of view - bad purchase decision.

Also, power consumption

Is good on my Celeron NUC with 7.5 Watt TDP - and can play Bluray untouched just fine. :)

granularity of your media playing (continue playing your preferred series at the same point you let when you moved to bedroom)

are a must nowadays.

Not sure if they are a must for everyone. At the moment they aren't for me, but maybe some time I will like this feature too.

If you want to use Xbmc, get Openelec* and install PlexBMC plugin and Amber theme.

OpenELEC, yes. PlexBMC, no, not if you have a Device which is capable of running all files without transcode, because thats what makes you fell happy, the transcode feature of Plex...

If you want to use and forgive: ChromeCast / Roku / AppleTv.

ChromeCast? How do you attach a USB Stick?
    Roku? A decent player, of course.
    AppleTV? Like the ChromeCase, where do I put my USB Stick? Speaking about Post-PC devices... how are those devices Post-PC if you can't use them without a PC in your Network (or Itunes (in the cloud))?

*Your installation problems with OpenElec may be related with getting the x86 ISO. Those are only for legacy platforms. Almost anything is x64 nowadays -> AMD64 does not mean it's only for AMD!!! That's the x64 compilation.

AMD64/x64 is the way to go on 99% of the system out there. Some people just don't understand that AMD64 was the same technique Intel used on the P4, because they were way behind with 64bit and bought it from... right... AMD!

Greetings
    David

• Thank you, Sergio.
    While waiting for my ordered hardware (N56L) I'm fooling around with an local installation on my trusty, old notebook (Mint, Celeron T5250), a network-installation (Server: VMware-OMV with MySQL | Client: Mint, Celeron 847). Yesterday I made stub-files for all my DVDs (arround 170) and checked some features. Than I checked some of my DSLR-1080p-Clips (Original and converted to H.264). The old Notebook got some trouble (Not new news, I know!) with 1080p, but it works with some slight downsides on Notebook.

Rest is fine! :)

• Hey guys!

I'm totally puzzled when it come's to Bitrates and I need some advice.

I got a weddings-reception Bluray (1080) with 40000 bit? Is that possible? I now, there was a professional filmteam at the day - but 40000 bit?
    Then I got my Super8-Films in uncompressed AVI with around 8000 bit. It got 576 lines. TS-Files from my PVR are around 6000 bit up to 4000 bit.

Help please. Who can drop some recommended settings for getting files smaller without loosing visual quality. I installed VidCodes, which is based on "Handbrake" but with a "easier" GUI. But I don't know where to start.

• Convert to h.264, play around with quality setting around 20.

With what software are you checking the bitrate?

Greetings
    David

• From what I remember around 20 is the suggestion in most guides. Decide yourself, or go HEVC right away :D

Greetings
    David

• Well... Seems like you started with some shitty hardware with no support whatsoever and now blame xbmc for it.
    Slow CPU Devices tend to have this problem like the Pi does too on some occasions.
    Buy a better Device.Thats your opinion, because you went through much trouble with your - from my point of view - bad purchase decision.

respectfully David, WTF!!?? This rig I assembled was a totally beast at the time. I'm talking about two or more years ago (2011 lauched, IIRC). It was initially based on Asus E35M1-I Deluxe board, but after my cat used it as a litter box I replaced with the E450 version. +4Gb ram, it plays the BB demo video (the one with zillions of birds flying) spotless. (until yesterday it was a sought board for nas4free and omv ;) )

You may think that this sff-pc is a trash, But i'll use as my main developing unit as I feel more confident with the roku3. It's powerful enough and gives me portability.
    I'm not happy with my preferred software changing minor version and having to invest in a new audio decoder and a new player rig. They even still haven't got final v4, but I have to replace all my hardware. With v3 I had a superb playing experience, with beta4 my hardware is a shit. Not very understandable.

Some videos are not playing. How in the world could that be related to the video coded not beeing fully hardware accelerated

Look for xbmc+artifacts in google.
    They where playing with their XVBA implementation and High@>=4.1. Also they where having problems with video buffers. As they never got it to work, they simply dropped it. In fact fetmenta got it, I'm using it in my frozen xbmc version.
    Also, how in the world someone could drop alsa support without advise and without offering an alternative to activate analog/optical output? You simply answer: I'm so busy and that doesn't pay for?
    I'm saying that you have a high risk of being dropped with xbmc with a period.

Well... you don't need to use MySQL, you can go with the local DB. (Tough you can't continue on another device then ofc.)

Correct, my appreciation was in response to OPs:

Zitat

To the MySQL-Feature: I tried to sync some things via path substitution - but XBMC crashes. Does someone use that feature?

And also related to him wanting one Xbmc on every Tv.

OpenELEC, yes. PlexBMC, no, not if you have a Device which is capable of running all files without transcode, because thats what makes you fell happy, the transcode feature of Plex...

Do you take into account the "direct play" function? Plex only transcodes if really necessary. I never received a transcoded stream in my Fusion/Openelec/PlexBmc rig.

ChromeCast? How do you attach a USB Stick?
    Roku? A decent player, of course.
    AppleTV? Like the ChromeCase, where do I put my USB Stick? Speaking about Post-PC devices... how are those devices Post-PC if you can't use them without a PC in your Network (or Itunes (in the cloud))?

Now, I feel I'm lost... Are we talking about playing video files? On TV, I understand. the Op talked about personal Super8 videos and "I want a XMBC-Client at every TV-Screen". It could be silly to install Xbmc in a laptop, that already plays videos, to see them there. At most, a library catalogue, but a media center...
    My +4 years old LG plasma has a usb port. From there all decent TVs have'm. Anyways, whats the problem with Chromecast? It connects to HDMI.
    Let's see perhaps I'm not understanding. Chromecast is a minimal receiver. You need a server to send video. So he would send video files directly from his laptop. He talked about a media server. Content (if in USB) goes there.

But for more clarification, I simply stated my opinion as software architect, that XBMC developing route it's not good or at last ideal, as it's with Plex (If I dare). A better development it's being done by the MB3 team. We will see where it goes. IMHO, XBMC has a slow and irregular developing route and Plex seems too much restricted.
    Not my intention to start a discussion on what media managers we prefer. I'm only placing my opinion on up and downs of xbmc devel. I'm a Plex satisfied user, an Openelec user, Roku3 and Chromecast.
    I may resume to: my wife used Xbmc unit until it updated to version 4. Now it's happier with the Roku3. True that if you want to play some 1080 straight content you may have a private network with omph or, as me, keep the openelec box. For online content (channels), local series and Super8 videos, Roku3 it's enough. There are similar and newer products that deserve a look thou.

• respectfully David, WTF!!??

My tone maybe wasn't the best, but I thought while reading your post that your feelings against XBMC came from assuming that yor rig would work flawlessly, while in fact it didn't. To blame XBMC for that seemed wrong to me. - And to add a note, even the NUC can't handle heavy XBMC themes.

his rig I assembled was a totally beast at the time.

Sorry, but if I look that device up its compared to Intel Atoms, I would never call that a beast. Especially if it misses hardware acceleration support it probably can't even play mpeg2 without trouble. Thats where your initial frustration did come from, the missing support for the hardware accelaration, it seems so to me. I would not call my Celeron (which is technically an atom too) a beast either.

You may think that this sff-pc is a trash

No, I don't. If it has hardware accelaration it can work fine. But it isn't a beast from what I see.

With v3 I had a superb playing experience, with beta4 my hardware is a shit

I guess you mean the OpenElec version? Seems like it worked with XBMC 12 for you and with 13 not so good anymore?

High@>=4.1

I guess 90% of my files are 4.1.

I'm saying that you have a high risk of being dropped with xbmc with a period.

I would say, then stay with the old version. Tough if using a shared MySQL DB you will run into issues.

Anyways, whats the problem with Chromecast? It connects to HDMI.

I have no problem with the Chromecast, it serves it's purpose. I would even like to have a chromecast receiver addon within my XBMC. The problem is however, if its your only device, you can't attach a USB stick on the fly.

Content (if in USB) goes there.

And then you have to

• mount it
    • add a shared folder
    • share that folder with a service ...
    • or add it to your plex library - but that requires some effort if its just a homevideo...

With a real media player, the usb stick goes into the media player and you can play without any effort.

Greetings
    David

• My tone maybe wasn't the best, but I thought while reading your post that your feelings against XBMC came from assuming that yor rig would work flawlessly, while in fact it didn't. To blame XBMC for that seemed wrong to me. - And to add a note, even the NUC can't handle heavy XBMC themes.

No, you misunderstood me completely. I have nothing against Xbmc. I use Xbmc. Yesterday night I did. I just express an opinion about the uncertainty of developments on the platform and a valuation of the convenience of, as expressed by the OP: having one XBMC in each TV.

Especially if it misses hardware acceleration support

David, that board has full hardware video acceleration. It is a big badass integrated GPU with a small CPU. It's main purpose is the media processing. I'm getting 2-24% of cpu load on it's cores while playing 1080 content. When I said it was a beast, I meant a beast for HTPC and at the moment. I'm sure a big GPU/small CPU board it's far from the ideal for developing with VS.Net2013+SqlSrv and all their stuff, you could shot me there, but I really need to easily change my developing location. I develop at customers locations where I install plug-in desks and at my office. I'm a stupid that hates latops. I can't adapt to their input devices. You must have noticed that I code really fast, from my replies.

Zitat

I have no problem with the Chromecast, it serves it's purpose. I would even like to have a chromecast receiver addon within my XBMC. The problem is however, if its your only device, you can't attach a USB stick on the fly.

Roku3 has USB port and reads media from there. Yesterday night I was messing with it. My conclusion was that if you intend to use the USB port of the Roku3, you must replace the power adapter so it doesn't surge when you plug an external HD.
    I found that Roku3+Plex+OMV makes a really good media system. If only the roku had a little bit more omph would be a blast. Intel NUC are way overkill to be behind the Tv. Would be ideal for my developing platform, but I already have the E450 and will give'm a try. If it falls short, probably I'll replace the board for a haswell. The NUCs I saw where expensive.

I guess 90% of my files are 4.1.

There are two misses: It's not >= but >. In fact it's more than >=High@5.1, but I was having a case in point that could be video fault and I typecasted myself. But I would like to stress that was the video decoder for fusion platform that had the problem. Note that I'm saying was. When they dropped the fusion platform and integrated into the generic build (openelec) it solved. But I lost all sound. So I'm staying at Openelec 3.x.x -> Xbmc 12. November build.

And then you have to
    mount it
    add a shared folder
    share that folder with a service ...
    or add it to your plex library - but that requires some effort if its just a homevideo...

To me it seems A nice OMV/Plex development proposal. I feel that would be nice, and extremely useful, that once you plug an USB with media content, that OMV automatically mount it and make available, and Plex automatically access to portable media like Xbmc does.
    There must be some place that you can plug that new media (look, your cousin took your video files of summer) to have a flash look at it. By now OMV+Plex has that lack (that I know)

I saw that the OP wanted to manage important video files. Ripped or hacked video files aren't, as you always can go back to the source. We are on the OMV forum, so I recommend using OMV with snapraid to store it's files. And then for managing and give them more availability, I suggest using Plex.
    I don't know if he does video for business, but I he does, with a system like that (or MB3) perhaps would be a way to give their customers video previews using the sharing capabilities of the content manager.
    I always try aim to the solution that gives more open doors.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!