Plugins that are wanted - Part 4

• Would be nice to have something for video surveillance management - NVR software.

The only such a free software i know is Zoneminder, but I will never use it due to very poor UeX and functionality (e.g. no mobile clients).

If anyone have an idea of covering such a functionality by something better than Zoneminder - it would be nice to learn it and definetely to have as a plugin.

• A nice plugin for LXC would be cool

p.s. started to work on plexconnect plugin, but not enough time at the moment

What do you have in mind? plain Docker?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Just a plugin to create/destroy/copy containers and manage them (start, ip settings, mounts and so on). Just the basic stuff, not too fancy.

I think everything else is too complicated and not really needed. Possibilty to install omv plugins into containers would be cream of the cake, but will blow up the whole thing too much imho

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

• I understand that containers as some "new" kind of sandboxes. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    So what would be the benefits of installing OMV plugins on a container?
    If OMV is meant for a NAS, something you want to be reliable and, as we say there, look but don't touch it... It's not supposed to only have installed tested plugins exclusively needed, and leave testing for virtual machines?

• Easy example: Transmission.
    If you want to manage the bt traffic, the easiest way is by ip based firewall rules.
    You can bind Transmission to another port/ip address, but this works only for incoming traffic, outgoing would be over the default interface.
    If you use a container you create a virtual network interface with its own network settings and voila, transmission works like on its own host. Same for shares/mount, here you can specify what the container can access. You cant do the easy way with chroot environments.
    This beside the usual sandbox stuff. Virtualization for stuff like this is overkill, especially on small machines. Containers lower the administration overhead significant (no need to update the os in every machine,...)

Same true for public services (web server, private cloud,...), if you like to create extra shares (another instance of samba/netatalk/...) on your lan backup box for your dmz, without compromising security,...

My first approach to jails on bsd was "why do i need this", after little bit of using it i really started to like the possibilities.

Imho for most services its not necessary and therefore i like OMV more then F...nas where all plugins run inside jails. But the option to put stuff in containers would be the swiss army knife of NAS ... for me ;)

Tom

----

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tom_tav ()

• Just a plugin to create/destroy/copy containers and manage them (start, ip settings, mounts and so on). Just the basic stuff, not too fancy.

I'm looking at panamax at the moment. Though in its current state its meant to be run on a CoreOS system.

Virtualization for stuff like this is overkill, especially on small machines.

And thats the downside of Panamax for me, despite beeing an really awesome idea, it's distributed within a CoreOS VM. Kinda defeats the purpose of Docker... It can be run on a CoreOS system directly. I heavily relies on systemd stuff... I have yet to try if you can install it to a Debian Wheezy with systemd.

But the option to put stuff in containers would be the swiss army knife of NAS ... for me

Exactly.

tom_tav: Take a look at panamax yourself, do you consider it something your would like?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I understand. I get the point on your examples and also thing that could be interesting to net isolate some services.
    But somewhere started a discussion about jails/containers/... being as secure as it's host environment.

I also share the opinion that this doesn't make your system safer. But I insight the convenience for maintenance.

@davidh2k if it does add overhead, I think, it defeats the purpose.

• I also share the opinion that this doesn't make your system safer. But I insight the convenience for maintenance.

It depens on how the container is used. If the container has no access to the host filesystem it improves the security a lot. And even if you grant the container to access (parts of) the host filesystem it still adds security. However, this also adds complexety. But thats what panamax is meant for. ;)

if it does add overhead, I think, it defeats the purpose.

Actually I jumped into the panamax IRC and asked about that specific concern (and if its possible to use outside the VM) and that it would make it impossible to use especcially on arm systems and I only got the answer that Docker does not run on arm. This is basicly true because in the current state Docker is limited to 64bit, but there are already custom binarys for the RPi which enable Docker on the RPi. Thus it is possible to run Docker on arm, of course not very well supported yet, but in the current state Panamax (as far as I know as of today) is not yet designed to be well integrated into a single system.

Greetings
    David

• but the service scripts are giving me a bit of trouble.

https://github.com/NzbDrone/NzbDrone/wiki/Autostart-on-Linux ?

Greetings
    David

• David
    For me the main argument for LXC is this: https://wiki.debian.org/LXC. Well docker is also official supported so thats too.

Adding panamax means adding another project which can be good or not so good. In endeffect we dont want to get bogged down like F...nas cause of a unflexible structure and endless dependencies, arent we?

I dont know if its worth to hunt for a huge can do everything frontend for lxc/docker, we shouldnt forget its still a nas and not a bare metal vm server.

With jails, containers and so on its a difficult story. For the amateurs ;) its too complicated, whatever frontend you run. For the pros its never fulfill all wishes. And to add manual stuff ... more easy if not everything is influenced by the master of all config guis.
    I will play around with lxc the next days, then i know more. Afaik there are only some basic settings (network, mounts,...) which everybody needs and which should be not too complicated to implement in a gui. Starting and stopping as service too. But the rest ... we will see

P.S. Arm is for me not important, dont have arm machines except my iPhone/Pads ;)

EDIT: what i did read LXC runs on ARM!

Tom

----

• Adding panamax means adding another project which can be good or not so good.

Yes, of course. But Docker, or even LXC, alone is prolly hard to work with. Thus a good Webinterface is really worth it. You will probably notice that yourself once you tested LXC yourself...

In endeffect we dont want to get bogged down like F...nas cause of a unflexible structure and endless dependencies, arent we?

Where do you set your limit? On X dependencies?

I dont know if its worth to hunt for a huge can do everything frontend for lxc/docker

Maybe not a 'everything frontend', but a decent one.

I will play around with lxc the next days, then i know more.

Look at this Video from Solomon Hykes, showing off Docker for the first time and his comment about LXC:

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Afaik there are only some basic settings (network, mounts,...) which everybody needs and which should be not too complicated to implement in a gui. Starting and stopping as service too. But the rest ... we will see

See Video above. After the comment of Solomon Hykes I would not even approach LXC myself directly.

P.S. Arm is for me not important, dont have arm machines except my iPhone/Pads

arm is not important for me directly, but for the community.

EDIT: what i did read LXC runs on ARM!

LXC, yes. But Docker itself is as of now limited to 64bit only.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Double data is big problem with system serving content for plex and xbmc. The rar split packages from torrent movies and series forces you to always unpack those files for plex while you serve torrent minimum ratio. Also Plex developers don't want to implement playing rar files.
    I've come to the solution of using rar2fs for plex media. Is not in the wheezy repos, buy maybe they can make a plugin that comes with the custom build package from omv repos that mounts the same video share as rar2fs for plex.
    My currently deb build for rar2fs survived from 0.5 to 1.0 using the kernel 3.2. One thing I remember it was hard to build, had to search a lot of info to pass the ".configure & make" stage.

• The rar split packages from torrent movies and series forces you to always unpack those files for plex while you serve torrent minimum ratio.

Extract the rar files without deleting the rar files?

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Extract the rar files without deleting the rar files?

Greetings
    David

Not extraction. For XBMC you will use the the packed rar files, xbmc will play them.
    The rar2fs mount will show the movie file contained inside those rar (transparently) omitting the rars
    I'll show you

Now the rar2fs mount

Code
    ls -la /media/rar2fs/videos/series/Married/Season\ 1/Married.S01E09.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS/
    total 528928
    drwxrwxrwx  3 admin users      4096 Sep 12 20:16 .
    drwxrwxrwx 12 admin users      4096 Sep 20 20:16 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 admin users     31341 Sep 12 20:16 Married.S01E09.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS.en.srt
    -rw-rw-rw-  1 admin root  541557170 Sep 12 04:35 Married.S01E09.720p.HDTV.x264-KILLERS.mkv
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 admin users     10868 Sep 12 00:27 married.s01e09.720p.hdtv.x264-killers.nfo
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 admin users       572 Sep 12 00:27 married.s01e09.720p.hdtv.x264-killers.sfv
    drwxrwxrwx  2 admin users      4096 Sep 12 00:27 Sample

line from fstab
    rar2fs#/media/46e48dd3-8f8a-42f4-a503-0084368be19e/ricardo/videos/ /media/rar2fs/videos fuse allow_other,uid=998

• Not extraction. For XBMC you will use the the packed rar files, xbmc will play them.

You missunderstood me. I suggested you to extract them but keep the rar files to seed longer, but extract right away at the same time.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Of course, I did that before, but you run out storage pretty quickly sometimes specially during high season releases (if you do this you need to block xbmc from reading rar files, otherwise it produces a double entry in your library). You generate twice the data per show/movie.
    I stumbled into rar2fs looking for an update in the plex forums regarding the rar files read status.

• Hi Team,

I would like to have a plugin for MPD (Music Player Daemon).
    Shairport seems to be a great plugin for parties, where everybody can play some own music to the sound-server.
    But MPD, which plays music from the filesystem of a headless server, could cooperate with Shairport very well.

Both could use Alsa. The MPD-plugin could be preconfigured to do so, by manipulating the asound file, to use dmixer for the soundoutput, so shairplay may stay active.

I used this guide to manage multiple Input to the Alsa sink.
    http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Alsa

I don't think, that there should be support for pulseaudio, since it is oversized for the simple purpose of playing music from the filesystem. Though it brings various options for combined and single output to a wide range of outputsystems via WiFi, but that is something for the powerusers.

MPD only needs some configuration for folders to store playlists etc. and one folder for the music files.

I think it could be very simple for someone, who is familiar to plugin coding in OMV. Best would be, if the team of the shairport plugin would do the job, because they know their system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe they can add a plugin for custom monit's programs. Maybe it would have to be just a box for text input. But from there we can monit "critical" services like transmission-daemon, sickbeard or flexget :D

Also are there any plans for omv to include batch user creation (like from a csv o tsv file)? Maybe with email dispatch so the users can't set up their custom passwords.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!