Plugins that are wanted - Part 4

• let me vote agains any and all network / services related plugins,

if you people would be so kind as to read about zentyl small buisyness server, and its development you would like i did come to the final conclusion that its just not gonna work...

as it is OMV is a storage solution, and storage could go a long way, from file storage services like ftp, nfs iscsi and cifs/smb to if you must mailstore systems backup solutions or databases....
    thats all fine and well and stuf...

but what would happen once you include irc and other comunications, would a voip pbx be next and after that a groupware a a pdc, (primary domain controller).

or what about dnsmasq, are you going to offer gateway services routing and firewalling Intrusion prevention.

next time you look youl be like zentyal, jack of al trades, good at nothing, hell to maintain and on your way to... abandonment by your entire community...

so whatever it its you do, stop at where storage is no longer important. and let other machines with other fine products do what they are meant for, so let pfsence for example to the lan management for you, its well-equiped for firewalling gateway access, and vpn services...

• I don't agree. Each person can customize his NAS how he wishes. If you do not like some plugins you do not have to install them. Is that so hard?

PS- You should be thankful for every plugin that is created. You don't understand how much work goes into each one.

• I believe that the success of OMV is with the plugins as much as the "base" system. The base system is solid like a rock (==> Debian). The rest is what the community of users want for their systems. As you can see this is even discussed and voted for! If you don't like a plugin or you don't find it useful or stable or safe etc... don't use it! This is, in essence, what linux is all about...choice!

• Hi

I would like to suggest a new plug in to help to monitor in the WebGUI the space used per share, whatever the type of share.

As shares are first directory on the disk, it would be very simimal in monitoring space used per directory on a local Windows disk with the TreeSizeFree tool (look at http://jam-software.com/treesize_free)

Let's take an example: I have one disk of 1To with 3 shares S1, S2, S3 of respectively SMB, AFP and NFS type. This mean 3 directory named S1, S2, S3 on y disk. Overall, my disk is used at 80% per the 3 shares.

I can monitor this 80% on the Storage/File System page of the WebGUI, but no how this 80 is spread over the 3 shares.

We could imagine to enhance this by 2 ways:

1/ adding a "+" button in front of each line corresponding to a disk on the Storage/File Systems page (number 1 on the attached picture).

When you click on the +, it opens a tree with as many lines as shares you have on this disk, each line with different columns: name of the share, type of the share, total space used by this share and the % it represent of the 80% above.

2/ adding a new section on the Storage menu on the left (number 2 on the picture) called "Monitor Space Usage"

When clicking on this, it open a static page with list of disk and space used, and then all the shares per disk with name, type and space used.

This is a kind of "automatic" version of the option 1 above that might be more easy to implement.

It would also an easy and graphical way to see the link between shares and disk.

I think this would be a great and easy way to greatly improve the way to manage storage space when you have multiple disks with multiples shares per disk.

What do you think ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This feature would be slow especially if you had lots of folders/files in the share because the only way I know to check folder space usage is the command du. It would almost have to pop up a window to show you the number. If you showed it in a column for every shared folder, the window would take forever to load if you had lots of shared folders with lots of files/folders.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It doesn't make sense unless you are using quotas... I mean how would you implement without quotas?

• @ftriscari,
    I wld agree but davidh2k also suggested me to put it on plug in requests so I made both.

@ryecoaaron
    I guess you are probably right.
    Since I posted, I have discovered that if you just browse network shares from Windows explorer, you cannot see used space. If you connect your share to a local drive letter, then when opening your computer in the explorer, it shows the used space per driver, including the network drive (the one that are on the NAS), just as it does it for local hard drives.
    Because it's very quick, I guess this is a request at SMB level that return this space usage and that this is not returned by a "du" command launch on the server (the SMB server might maintain in real time the used/available space value per share?)

So maybe there is a mean, on the server, to send the same query to the SMB process instead of launching a long "du" command ?

I have to check how it behave on a Mac

• Offizieller Beitrag

samba is always going to return the space used for the drive not the share. It has the same problem du has. Not really anyway to change it. In windows, if you right click on a folder, it will tell you the number of files and size but it takes a bit.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• PS- You should be thankful for every plugin that is created. You don't understand how much work goes into each one.

and how is it i should be thankfull if modules expist that might slow down the system op to a point where its no longer usefull, respecting peoples knowlegde to build plugins is one thing but being thankfull for something that could be condidered a problem in terms of system performance, or worse the desision for the main devs to incoporate it. is whole diferent story, beleave me ive been there, both on fossdem and other events preatching agains being jack of all trades.

so now that i have voiced my honest and professional opinion i hope that you can respect it, and dont tell me what to be, or what not to be thankfull for. after all its only my voice in hopes of people listening to a diferent sound so they can make up thair on mind.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Show me a plugin that will "slow down the system op to a point where its no longer useful"??? Lets go through the third party plugins and see which one will slow down a system...

openmediavault-anacron - no, typically used for backups, fairly important for a nas
    openmediavault-aufs - no, just pools drives
    openmediavault-autoshutdown - no, shuts down the server when it is not being used to save energy
    openmediavault-backup - no, only backs up the system drive when you click on the button and adds bootable ISOs for other backup/restore/utility reasons
    openmediavault-btsync - no, syncs two systems, offsite backup is a very good idea
    openmediavault-calibre - no, only uses system power when you are reading a book
    openmediavault-couchpotato - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-cups - no, having network printers is a feature on lots of NASes
    openmediavault-dnsmasq - no, if a very lower powered router can run dnsmasq, an OMV NAS shouldn't have a problem
    openmediavault-downloader - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-extplorer - no, file browser shouldn't be any different than using the web interface
    openmediavault-greyhole - maybe slightly, used for pooling and backups, very good idea for NASes
    openmediavault-headphones - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-jdownloader - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-links - no, uses cpu on browser computer not NAS
    openmediavault-mhddfs - no, just pools drives
    openmediavault-minidlna - no, just serves media to client, shouldn't be any more overhead than samba
    openmediavault-mysql - maybe slightly
    openmediavault-nginx - no, running on OMV anyone
    openmediavault-offlineimap - no, only backs up email when you click the button
    openmediavault-omvextrasorg - no, uses no resources
    openmediavault-openvpn - no, if a very lower powered router can run dnsmasq, an OMV NAS shouldn't be affected much
    openmediavault-openvpnas - no, if a very lower powered router can run dnsmasq, an OMV NAS shouldn't be affected much
    openmediavault-plexmediaserver - maybe if transcoding but you generally have a high powered system when transcoding
    openmediavault-remoteshare - no, just connects shares on other servers
    openmediavault-roundcube - no, not any more resources than OMV web interface
    openmediavault-rsnapshot - no, typically used for backups, fairly important for a nas
    openmediavault-sabnzbd - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-shellinabox - no, not any different than connecting via ssh
    openmediavault-sickbeard - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-snapraid - maybe when syncing but fairly important for a nas to have redundancy
    openmediavault-subsonic - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-transmissionbt - no, downloading files should be trivial even on the weakest system
    openmediavault-vdr - maybe
    openmediavault-virtualbox - possible but but you generally have a high powered system when using VMs
    openmediavault-wakealarm - no
    openmediavault-wol - no, just sends wol commands
    openmediavault-wordpress - no, not any more resources than OMV web interface

While you voiced your professional opinion, I highly disagree. If a 300 MHz router can run most of these services without slowing down, I'm sure most OMV boxes will be just fine. OMV will never be zentyl. There is no email server plugin which is probably the biggest performance hog. There is no pbx plugin either. There are no plans for these plugins. I personally consolidated four servers into one with OMV and plugins. Never once has it had a problem. If you can present some good evidence to me that a certain plugin is just plain bad, I will personally remove it but I doubt that will happen...

• If a 300 MHz router can run most of these services without slowing down,

This may sound like I'm putting Oil in the fire here, and pardon me for that, but a dedicated system which is designed for that one purpose allways runs with much lower CPU power. A bluray player or a satelite receiver runs fine with 250 MHz or so and can decode the highest bitstreams where on PCs you have to either have good CPU power or hardware decoding support to run those streams fluid.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

This may sound like I'm putting Oil in the fire here, and pardon me for that, but a dedicated system which is designed for that one purpose allways runs with much lower CPU power. A bluray player or a satelite receiver runs fine with 250 MHz or so and can decode the highest bitstreams where on PCs you have to either have good CPU power or hardware decoding support to run those streams fluid.

Isn't a NAS a dedicated system? LOTS of routers run Linux and the newest high power routers are using ARM chips similar to the RPi cpu. Most of the higher powered routers do a lot of NAS things as well - printing, file sharing, samba, backup to external hard drive, dlna, etc.

Decoding video is where a specialized processor offloads the work and allows a weak cpu. Most home routers don't have specialized cpus.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• He should just go on QNAP's, or Synology's, forum and troll. He obviously hasn't looked at the list of plugins for commercial NASs lately.

• Isn't a NAS a dedicated system?

Of course it is, but not in the way like other dedicated systems have dedicated hardware. But you're right, a router CPU may not be that dedicated how I thought. I just wanted to show the reference to other devices which in fact have such dedicated hardware.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• wow i never been on a forum before where the mods are either fanboys i just trolls. or at least noting worth as moderator should be.

just voicing my opinion about some features that i thing should not go into a storage system, and expla\ing as briefly (so i dont boar the heck out of you), as i can why...

and i get acused, treated badly sweared upon and plain bullied...

you guys must be really proud of your selves,

sure you can disagree with me, on loads and loads of points, but showing as few respect for other opinions as you guys have is a plain insult when calling yourself a community.

ive been active in both FOSS as well a paid for opensource software development a non coding contributor for over 10 years, and never have i met sutch bad manors.

i wish you all the best but i truely hope that no one will ever have to deal with this kind of stupidity ever again

• No one is swearing at you. You are saying things that are not true. Being defensive is not bullying. We do not need any drama here. If you persist like this we will edit, or simply delete, your posts. Warning number 1.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tekkb ()

• i-chat:
    You don't have to use OMV and/or it's plugins if you don't want to.
    Everyone can decide which OS to use for a NAS -> Win20xxServer, Zentyal, Ubuntu, OMV, $whatever
    IF a user chooses OMV, then he can expand it's functionality with plugins.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!