Using space on System Drive SSD

• Hi there,

I want to install OMV on a 120 GB SSD. Somewhere I have read, that OMV uses the whole disk.

Thats not what I want. I would prefer to assign approximately 10 to 15 GB for System and Swap. It would be great if I could use the rest as a Datapartition to read/write Data to it, that is often used in the hope the "big HDDs" for backup an big files won't spin up so often.

Is there a possibility to do this, for example partition it before the installation and if so how do I have to configure the partitions?

Thanks in advance!

halfdan

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have two options:

1 - Install minimal Debian using netinst and then install OMV on that installation
    2 - Install OMV and repartition using gparted live or equivalent.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

I want to do the same with my 240GB SSD (formerly used for WHS2011 with 60GB system and rest data for downloads and tv recordings).

@ryecoaaron
    What do you mean by

Zitat

1 - Install minimal Debian using netinst and then install OMV on that installation

I know that install first Debian and afterwards OMV but I don't know how to get a data partition.
    How big should system (home) and swap for Debian be?

Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can manually partition the drive when installing from Debian netinst image. For example:

create 10 gb partition for OS (ext4) and mount as /
    create 4 gb partition for swap and mount as swap
    create partition from remaining space for data (ext4) and don't mount it. You will do that from the OMV web interface.
    You don't need a /home partition.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• sorry i am very new in OMV and Linux
    does "install OMV on Debian" mean omv running as a software on Debian(OS)? or as a guest OS(OMV) on the host(Debian)?

• You have two options:

2 - Install OMV and repartition using gparted live or equivalent.

Hi ryecoaaron,

for the first Option "minimal Debian"

which of the above Checkboxes should I choose?

Thank you
    halfdan

• Offizieller Beitrag

Uncheck them all.

• I would direct install OMV (from ISO) and re-partition the drive afterwards. This is IMHO easier.
    To re-partition, I was using http://gparted.org/livecd.php when my Main-OS was Windows. Now I'm on Linux ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!