Cant edit sources.list AS ROOT

• Hi,

I am having a weird issue. I wanted to add the new LTS repository to my sources.list but I cant edit it.

Code
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 891 Sep  8  2013 sources.list
    root@selektos:/etc/apt# rm -rf sources.list
    rm: cannot remove `sources.list': Operation not permitted
    root@selektos:/etc/apt# whoami
    root

Anyone having an idea what's going on?

• thanks for the quick reply.
    So filelocking is possible. I wasnt sure how to understand this wikipedia paragraph on filelocking:

Zitat

Although some types of locks can be configured to be mandatory, file locks under Unix are by default advisory. This means that cooperating processes may use locks to coordinate access to a file among themselves, but uncooperative processes are also free to ignore locks and access the file in any way they choose. In other words, file locks lock out other file lockers only, not I/O.

• Well, you still shouldn't add repos in /etc/apt/sources.list. They should be added through a new list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d.

• Well I wanted to have it in the main sources.list file, because squeeze-lts is not just any repository.
    Also I didnt have omvextras.org installed anymore and since it locked the file and didnt unlock it during uninstallation, I just recovered the original stage of sources.list.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The files in sources.list.d aren't any less important. It really doesn't matter where you put the lts repo.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It has to do with people adding repos (typically ubuntu or linux mint) and causing LOTS of problems that they don't understand. It has helped us mods a lot with support.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That is why the Custom TAB in OMV Extras was created. To make it easy for people to add repos and keep them organized. This also prevents people from screwing up their sources.list which was wasting a lot of our mod's time. Not all of the foreign Debian mirrors were working correctly 100 percent of the time. When the mirrors had problems it was creating errors. By everyone being on the same repo for sources.list we don't have to waste time figuring out if there is a repo issue in a mirror.

Lots of reasons...

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

... This also prevents people from screwing up their sources.list ...

For me this is the main reason. When people only add repos this is no problem at all. But changing the standard repos they need for updating OMV and keeping it stable...
    Btw. you now know how it is done. So no need to deinstall omv-extras... You can simply unlock it.

We do not want to prescribe anyone anything. But as you do not have any disadvantages using the sources.list.d folder the standard file is locked.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For me this is the main reason. When people only add repos this is no problem at all. But changing the standard repos they need for updating OMV and keeping it stable...
    Btw. you now know how it is done. So no need to deinstall omv-extras... You can simply unlock it.

We do not want to prescribe anyone anything. But as you do not have any disadvantages using the sources.list.d folder the standard file is locked.

Agree w/ this completely.

Adding repos is still exceptionally simple. With so many newbs who have zero Linux experience trying OMV... it's a lot easier not trying to troubleshoot their "default" sources, when they've not had an attempt at typos, etc. while changing their default sources list.

• I need to edit this file because I was there the old repositories that now have a crash error

I know that the world does not expect the us to many. It is sufficient that you answer yourself a very important question: what I like to do in life, and then start to do it.

HP N36L Microserver 60GB SSD + 2x 250GB HDD + 2x 1TB omv 3.0.X 64 bit - 3.16 backport kernel
    Banana Pi + 16GB SD + 500GB - test platform omv 3.0.X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    Banana PRO + 8GB SD + 320GB - test platform omv 30..X - ARM - 3.4.104 kernel
    SimpleNAS project - OpenMediaVault and Case for Banana Pi/PRO/M1/M1+/M3, LM Guitar

• Hi WastlJ,
    I have a crash error, on my sever I have updated the sources for Squeeze-LTS. I have followed the suggestion in your OMV blog:

Now I have to remove two lines in sources.list, please can you send me (in PM) the instructions to remove those lines ?

Thank you in advance!

• Now I have to remove two lines in sources.list, please can you send me (in PM) the instructions to remove those lines ?

Thank you in advance!

No need to. Squeeze-LTS will be replaced with 'wheezy' on upgrading.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!