NFS ESXi permissions issue, I think.

• I can create the datastore with no issue. I am have created a share VM-storage and get to the datastore via /export/VM-storage. When I try to connect I get the error provided in the photo. Also, if I try to browse the datastore I can't upload files or create new folders hence why I think its a permissions issue. What users should I have created so the ESXi host can access the datastore? Looked on OMV syslog did not see any authentication errors.

Doing my best to provide the most information as I was searching through the forums for an answer to my dilemma and that was the most common response. I have spent hours on this searching testing and I feel I am doing something stupid, so I present these photos in an effort not to waste your time. Thanks ahead of time.

For your information I am new to VM and new to OMV and Linux in general.

• Still unsolved?
    I just stumbled upon the same error message (Failed to deploy OVF package...) when I tried to set up a new VM on a freshly installed OMV machine using a NFS share in vCenter.
    Looking up and down and found that I forgot to set the correct ACL permissions for the NFS share. Since connecting to a NFS share does not need a login with a user you have to set Read/Write/Execute for others for this NFS share. Then it works as usual.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• The right way would be taking care that the UIDs of the connecting user and the NAS User match to have proper permissions.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• The right way would be taking care that the UIDs of the connecting user and the NAS User match to have proper permissions.

Your described "right way" would be the right way if an ESXi host would offer the possibility to name a user when connecting to a NFS share. Since this is not possible, setting RWE for others is the only way to let it connect.
    ESXi needs to connect to a NFS share with root privileges and you cannot do it any other way, so it is recommended to secure these connections in a different LAN segment or, even better, in a dedicated VLAN (That's what I did).

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!