Noy sure about best practices, but how about Debian Testing?

• Hi there,
    The other day an IT friend of mine gave me a little box with an Atom and four HDDs.
    And he asked can you install some kind of a file server on it? Maybe some of yours linux stuff.
    So i went like. Oh yea of course. You know there are FreeNAS stuffs with a web interface and stuff.
    But then he went like oh and can i use it like a dropbox then? And i was like, ah then you need ownCloud.
    But then he went like but i want also some Windows server so i can try out some asp stuff out.
    So i was like dude come on are kidding me?

But later i kinda tried to put CentOS6 and ownCloud on it. And it actually worked.
    But then i was like. Hmm this box actually have like 4gigs of ram. And it only have to share like a folder on the lan.
    So maybe i could install some virtualization on it. And give it like 2gigs of ram or something.
    But the Home Server that belonged to this box was bsoding. (raid drivers im guessing?).
    Because the reactos actually ran on this Xen just fine.

Now the question is. The other day i found that there is ownCloud plugin for OMV.
    So i picked SolydXK to make it a littlebit more Desktop Friendly.
    But i got here this php5-pam and php5-proctitle trouble.
    http://forums.solydxk.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4286
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you very much. :)

• Suggestions? Don't use debian testing and probably it's best to stay away from owncloud for good.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Read his comments on sourceforge commits... this tells you everything you need to know.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

Read his comments on sourceforge commits... this tells you everything you need to know.

Greetings
    David

Do you have a link? Because I've looked for the past 15 days, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Suggestions? Don't use debian testing and probably it's best to stay away from owncloud for good.

Greetings
    David

What are you suggesting to me then? Setup some old system that isnt going to be supported anymore faster then the next fedora release?
    I dont even understand how it came to be that i can setup CentOS and forget about it for 10 years.
    And Debian which is known for stability becomes EOLd faster then the lifecycle of a PC, and i dont even talk about Servers lifecycle.

• So, hows Debian Wheezy EOLd? It's just one year old and you talk about it like we're still using floppy drives :rolleyes:

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

So, hows Debian Wheezy EOLd? It's just one year old and you talk about it like we're still using floppy drives :rolleyes:

Greetings
    David

Well, as you already know i installed Testing and tried installing OVM 1.0 on it. It has issues with php5-pam and php5-proctitle.
    (i dont mind to recompile them but then it still dont work)
    While researching for two nights i saw alot of posts where the same issues were mentioned on Wheezy.
    So i assumed that i have to install it on Squeeze which is going to be supported untill 2016 only becquse it LTS now.
    If i want to install a server i want it to be supported for atleast several years.
    This is also why i might of exaggerated somewhat. :)

So you are saying i can install omv on wheezy and it just works? Version 0.5 or 1.0?
    Could you then point me to the right installation procedure please?
    thanks in advance,
    BH

• Install Wheezy and use OpenMediaVault Kralizec. Those problems you're referring to are people that used a Version prior to Kralizec on Debian Wheezy while those versions required Debian Squeeze.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you uncheck all the boxes when you installed? apache shouldn't even be installed if you followed those directions. Kralizec uses nginx now.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Did you uncheck all the boxes when you installed? apache shouldn't even be installed if you followed those directions. Kralizec uses nginx now.

ok here we go.
    I just reinstalled everything following the instructions more precisely.
    Thus, not installing all the stuff at the OS installation stage. (Because before i did).
    And now it works. Cool. :)
    And yes i noticed that the nginx was instaled.
    (Funny thing i didnt even notice that it was 7.6 already :D)

Now next step is to install ownCloud on this Box.
    Since you guys were saying that the plugin wast so good or something,
    i suppose i will have to do a straight Debian owmCloud installation isnt it?
    Hopely there will be no conflicts..

p.s. Now, i was actually thinking. If it doesnt work to install OVM and ownCloud on one same system.
    The other sollution would be to install ownCloud for example in a VM on this system.
    But then there are another few things that i then think about.
    What i also want to have on this system is virtualization.
    First i was thinking about just plain KVM with a VirtManager. Because i just want one Home Server VM there.
    And KVM with VirtManager is just enough for it.
    But then i was thinking since you can install OVM/ownCloud/ProxMox as separate packages on a Debian OS. (Not using their special buids).
    I was thinking already is it would be possible to install also Proxmox on this system.
    But then i suppose it could be possible that it would have some conflicts between setting this different 'appliances' on one OS.
    Then i got another question actually (maybe i should start another topic and/or google about it):
    What would be the best practice to setup OMV/ownCloud/Prox|or some other virtualization on one box?
    What would be best to put on hardware? And what in a VM?

ok, i guess i have to rethink this all i think. First maybe try if ownCloud install will work on this already an OMV system.

Thanks in advance,
    BH

• Ok, lets forget the Virtualizazion for a moment.

Here i go, i installed ownCloud via Plugins in the OVM interface.
    But then, before actually enabling it i wanted to setup OVM as it sould.
    (The Debian and OVM itself are on a 32gb usb stick).
    But what i see now is, Debian sees only four Drives i have in this machine.
    Not the RAID10 that i have setup in BIOS of this machine.
    What do i do then?
    ty

edit:
    Lol i didnt even knew..
    This means this cheap piece of hardware is not really a real hardware RAID then?
    This is what this seems to be, the fakeRAID the google tells me about.
    So how do i setup the SoftRaid then?
    (googling further)

• Get rid of your BIOS RAID - ASAP.

Use the webinterface to configure your RAID instead.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!