AUFS problems (?)/ questions

• Dear all,

I just set up OMV 0.6. IN order to use my (currently 2) HDDs evenly, I installed AUFS.
    My setup is as follows:

name: Whatever
    Bind share: HDD1/whatever
    Branches: HDD1/pool/whatever
    HDD2/pool/whatever

Currently, I have six pools defined (using different folders below /pool/). Within the first setup, I did not check "mfs".
    My understanding was that I move my data to the shared folders (the binded shares) and that AUFS will happily spread the data throughout the branches.
    This didn't happen. My HDD1, which holds all the binded shared folders, is nearly full, while the HDD2 is empty.

So, what did I do wrong, and how can I get AUFS to spread the data?
    Furthermore, in this how-to (http://www.howto-blog.de/openmediavault-aufs-einrichten/) they say that you should use a seperate HDD for the binded shares? Would that make sense and why?
    Thanks for your support,
    bg,
    Gilhin

• Offizieller Beitrag

aufs should spread the data whether mfs is checked or not. When it is checked, it just tries to keep it in the parent directory. aufs will not spread the data on drives with existing data. It just writes new data to the drive with the most free space.

You do not need to put the pool share on a separate drive. My main aufs setup is on a system with only two drives. I'm not sure but I don't think you should have the branches in the pool share's directory. So, I would create a new aufs pool using the following structure:

bind share: hdd1/pool1
    branch 1: hdd1/branch1
    branch 2: hdd2/branch2

Also, do not write to the branches. Only write to the pool. So, do not use the branch shares in other plugins.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.2 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanksfor sharing your thoughts.
    As you suggested, I deleted the old branches and created a structure like

bind share: HDD1/Freigaben
    branches: HDD1/storagepool
    HDD2/storagepool

All shared folders are now created within the pool (as subfolders of Freigaben). The mfs-box was not checked. If I understood you right, this configuration should work after all.
    Currently the shared folders are populated again. I'll revert with further information as soon as I can see whether it works or not.
    bg,
    Gilhin

• It seems to work - not perfectly, but sufficient.
    While I realised that it didn' change the brach directory while populating, I rebooted manually.
    After that - it seemingly does what it should.

Thanks for your support,
    bg,

Gilhin

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!