mass errors in syslog (clean install upgraded to .6)

• good morning,

apologies for the long log post! ... i upgraded to .6 from a complete clean install of .5.

the upgrade baulked a few times causing me to reinstall openmedia vault from the CLI.

now in syslog i get the below regularly.

any ideas ?

thanks

Dan

• Jul 21 17:10:59 localhost collectd[2829]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-free.rrd, [1405933859:102384111616.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 21 17:10:59 localhost collectd[2829]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
    Jul 21 17:10:59 localhost collectd[2829]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-reserved.rrd, [1405933859:5579366400.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 21 17:10:59 localhost collectd[2829]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
    Jul 21 17:10:59 localhost collectd[2829]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-used.rrd, [1405933859:1408299008.000000], 1) failed with status -1.

i got error too. what problem..

================================================================================
    = OS/Debian information
    ================================================================================
    Distributor ID: debian
    Description: Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)
    Release: 7.6
    Codename: wheezy

= OpenMediaVault information
    Release: 1.0.6
    Codename: Kralizec

= Date
    Mon Jul 21 17:15:20 MYT 2014

= Hostname
    linux.local

= Locale
    en_US.UTF-8

= System information
    Linux localhost 3.14-0.bpo.1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.14.12-1~bpo70+1 (2014-07-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

my motherboard gigabyte z87x-udh

• Just want to report the same issue happened on my setup, I completed the installation based on the OMV 0.6 guide, once reboot after issuing omv-initsystem command, I found the error messages in syslog, which are exactly the same as OP. The only difference I think it's that my OMV installed on an ESXi VM.

OMV 1.0.x built in ESXi 5.0 U3
    3x2T WD Green + 1x2T Seagate + 4x3T Seagate
    1x500G Seagate for dedicated BT/PT download
    LSI9211-8i pass through

• I don't get what you guys are doing. Do a net install of Wheezy and the install OMV with these instructions:

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public kralizec main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault
    6 - omv-initsystem

Do a fresh install of squeeze/OMV .5 and then upgrade to wheezy/omv 1.0, why????? Just use the way described above.

• Yes, I installed the latest OMV (Kralizec) from repository based on this guide, the error message in syslog appeared once installation finished, without any further config or upgrade.

LSI9211-8i pass through

• As requested by Tekkbebe to post my syslog error sample here, and 6 lines of error message seems the same for each round of occurrence.
    With this error, I also found "Disk Usage" graph doesn't work in "System Information --> Status" page.

Jul 30 10:52:59 openmediavault collectd[2200]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-free.rrd, [1406688779:8348581888.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:52:59 openmediavault collectd[2200]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:52:59 openmediavault collectd[2200]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-reserved.rrd, [1406688779:512278528.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:52:59 openmediavault collectd[2200]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:52:59 openmediavault collectd[2200]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-used.rrd, [1406688779:1223852032.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:53:09 openmediavault collectd[2200]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-free.rrd, [1406688789:8348561408.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:53:09 openmediavault collectd[2200]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:53:09 openmediavault collectd[2200]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-reserved.rrd, [1406688789:512278528.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:53:09 openmediavault collectd[2200]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
    Jul 30 10:53:09 openmediavault collectd[2200]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-used.rrd, [1406688789:1223872512.000000], 1) failed with status -1.

LSI9211-8i pass through

• I think I found the reason why so many error messages in syslog and disk usage graph didn't work. It's because I just installed one disk drive in OMV on which OS installed on, but OMV wouldn't show the graph for OS disk. After I added another data disk and created a file system, both error message disappeared and graph shown. Hope this clue helpful for others encountered the same symptom.
    BTW, all my experiment is on my ESXi 5.5 VM, but i think it's also applicable for physical machine.

LSI9211-8i pass through

• isnt that the df bug ?
    http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=25901

It is a known issue with wheezy and it is fixed for sid. It is a problem within DF and the new way of mounting the rootfs.

Zitat

The official solution in the Debian bug report is an upstream change to coreutils in which df translates the symlink to the actual device. However, this change made it into sid not wheezy - so the bug will persist until jessie (not release critical).

I have 1.07 in my vm running but I do not see the error messages and reports are working fine, even with df-h showing the wrong output?

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not release critical? That is true if you do not use the df plugin, but if then it causes much problems as we see here. This is one of the negativ properties of Debian.
    I think we had to remove the root file system monitoring until Debian Jessie if we do not find a good and easy solution for this issue. I do not want to waste to much time to fix this.
    Has anyone tried the solutions mentioned here http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=25901?

• What about backports, is the fixed version (planned to be) backported? Or, I know you don't want to do that, how about taking care of this package yourself and put the updated version in the OpenMediaVault repo/installation?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I believe that this should work. And putting this script in the initramfs-tools can be part of the openmediavault package. The only thing we need to do after installing the openmediavault package is to call

update-initramfs -u

I can test this today in the evening if it simply removes the double line from rootfs and if it does what it is expected to do. Then we still need to find a way to use it in openmedivault via the package.

• I'll look at the build service when I'm home. From a quick read I noticed that you can supply the sources via source repo and give the user the ability to compile it themselves. Would that suffice or does this blow up OpenMediaVault installations because of the need for build utils etc.?

Would it be any good to you if I supply you with a build system and sponsor the ressources? If thats a problem.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• My point of view:

baking utils and compilers into OMV does not compute for me to deliver OMV as a NAS appliance.

It is open, and yes you can put a compiler on it if you want, but it should not get delivered with it.

1. It increases the size
    2. It will make maintenance worse if anything is badly compiled etc.
    3. You should not have the need to compile anything on your own, which is a normal function.

Cheers
    Ser

• Zitat von "SerErris"

My point of view:

baking utils and compilers into OMV does not compute for me to deliver OMV as a NAS appliance.

It is open, and yes you can put a compiler on it if you want, but it should not get delivered with it.

A colleague once said "Du legst dem Einbrecher ja auch nicht die Brechstange auf die Fensterbank." But I think baking the util so that it does work for real is of course something I would expect from a NAS appliance.
    <sarcasm> "Oh that doesn't work" - "Yeah but its not our fault, we know how to fix but we won't do because we only use debian packages and won't do change that in any way because we're lazy" </sarcasm>

Zitat von "SerErris"

1. It increases the size

Yes, of course.

Zitat von "SerErris"

2. It will make maintenance worse if anything is badly compiled etc.

Hmm...

Zitat von "SerErris"

3. You should not have the need to compile anything on your own, which is a normal function. [...]

Yeah, but I was only suggesting that for special platforms, not x32/x64 bit platforms...

But lets see if we can figure out a way to compile a version with the fix, and only with that, and put it into the omv repo.

Greetings
    David

• Hmm, yeah - well ...

if we can find a package, that fixes it (backport whatever) then this would be a way to go for me. Putting a compiler into it ... hmmm.

A better option for me would be to only compile df, make it a separate package (openmediavault-df) and make that part of openmediavault. We can remove it, as soon as the binutils package have been built for wheezy, or if we upgraded to whatever else release which have a fixed df.

• Okay,

here is the test before the script and remake of initramfs:

Then I put in the script into /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-premount/rootdevice and recreated the initramfs and rebooted.

So after that, it the same output looks like this:

That is partially better as the / is not /dev/sdc1. But it does not remove the rootfs entry for / and that will lead to the same issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "SerErris"

A better option for me would be to only compile df, make it a separate package (openmediavault-df) and make that part of openmediavault. We can remove it, as soon as the binutils package have been built for wheezy, or if we upgraded to whatever else release which have a fixed df.

That is not possible. The df command is installed by the coreutils package, thus it CAN'T be installed or replaced by a different Debian package. That's how packages work.

If someone identifies the patch that fixes the issue in coreutils df than we can patch the original Debian Wheezy coreutils package. I can now build packages for all supported platforms.

On the other side i'm asking myself if the whole work and time is worth. It's simply a stupid graph of the root file system. If it runs full the admin gets notified by monit. The rrd graph is only a nice to have feature, nothing really important.

Changing the initrd to do not use UUID is no alternative and a stupid workaround.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!