rsync remote push job - why mkdir?

• I am trying to create an rsync job with the gui. It will be a push to a remote server. I've set up the OMV system with a public key from the server, and ssh and rsync work from the shell without a password. However, when I set up the job and run it, for some reason it decides it needs to do a mkdir. This will never work of course - one of us is confused. What should I do?

Zitat

rsync: mkdir "/syncuser@server1.intranet.seamanpaper.com/share/irw-sync" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(595) [Receiver=3.0.7]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601) [sender=3.0.7]

• It is even worse: public ssh keys are corrupt in OMV. You create one and it doesn't work with a remote server. You check .ssh folder and there is a key alright. Compare that key with the one you just created and it is a different one. Bizzarly enough that 'different' key works fine with remote server. But it scrambles the file permissions. So pulled media files are useless when you try to play them back. Nightmare.

• That is exactly what we do. We try to use a Public SSH key, by telling rsync (with -e ssh in the extra options) to use the key we created.

But:

1) the ssh key that you can copy from the "Certification" section is not working

2) there is no ssh key available when you check .ssh from the root folder on the machine itself

There used to be one when we created one in the past. Because initially there wasn't one. After creation, OMV did in fact create an alternative key in the ssh folder.

And guess what: it worked out fine!

So we tried out again after deletion of the original one.

So we expected OMV to create a .ssh folder all right. OMV did of course, but failed to copy a key there.

I guess you guys got pretty much buggered by your own permission system along the way and this is a fine example of it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Where do you think those keys created by omv are stored ? They are not in a home folder like usual .ssh.
    the ssh keys panel has no use in omv2, the original intention was to integrate it with rsync, but it has only been integrated in omv3.
    so when you use -rsh "ssh" in extra options you need to point to the private key with -i /path/key

i still don't get what you say with permissions.
    can you show me a full screenshot of your task including the extra options you put there, change yiur public domain to a dummy one, but dont
    change the extract syntax you're using
    for the remote server please.

• 2) there is no ssh key available when you check .ssh from the root folder on the machine itself

So we expected OMV to create a .ssh folder all right. OMV did of course, but failed to copy a key there.

OpenMediaVault stores its keys under /var/lib/openmediavault/ssh/keys and not /root/.ssh

Also note that the whole rsync via ssh part has been very well updated under 3.0, so it might not run like expected (and never was supposed to) with ssh certs, it will definitly better for you guys once you can run 3.0.

And as subzero79 said, what do you guys mean by buggered permission system?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!