Low Power but High Performance Haswell based OMV NAS

• My initial objective was to get below 15 watts idle power on a NAS with 3x4TB in Raid5.

After upgrading to Kralizec today (re-install on Debian 7.5.0) and using the lastest Kernel backport 3.14 with a few power tweaks (powertop), I can confirm that my OMV bild is running at equal power consumption compared with my ARM based NAS but providing a much higher transfer and system performance. Transfer SMB performance is maxing out GiB Network >100MByte/sec.

Power figures are measured at the AC side 230V /w KD 302 and confirmed with Energy Check 3000
    40 watts - 2 parallel SMB large file copies to/from OMV NAS maxing out GiB speed
    33 watts - 1 SMB large file copy to/from OMV NAS
    28 watts - incremental file access/backup
    21 watts - OMV idle / 3x4TB disks spinning
    12 watts - OMV idle/ 3x4TB disks spun down :D

The build is based on the Intel DH87RL, i3-4130T (non-T was not avail at purchase order), mSATA PCIe 30GB Kingston, 3x 4TB WD RED, Enermax ETL300AWT Triathlor 80 Plus, 1x4GB DDR3-1600. Heads free operation: no Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse!
    Disks are filled up 80%. In the future I might add up to two more 4TB disks if needed.
    Latest BIOS update and using recommended settings for FANs gave another watt reduction.
    http://www.heise.de/ct/projekt…s-und-Server-1375124.html

For those interested in the Debian 7.5.0 Haswell power tweaks (still experimental), which I added in
    /etc/rc.local - these setting provide all "good" result from powertop

AND to use highest possible savings with the built-in HD graphics (enable deepest rc6)
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf

Code
    options i915 i915_enable_rc6=7 i915_enable_fbc=1 lvds_downclock=1

Furthermore I am re-thinking to use autoshutdown, which is working quite well. Assuming max 12h savings time the resulting energy cost saving is calculated to be around 15.- EUR per year, which I probably will take leveraging the effect of comfort having the NAS accessible all time and almost immediately. The WD RE´s are spinning up quite fast. And I am considering to split the boot disk into 2 partitions making one avail. for some services that do not need to have the monster drives spun up.

This is the status as per today and without more time for detailed research.

Pls. let me know your suggestions and if we can go much lower and how ;)

OMV 5 | 64 bit | backport kernels | latest omvextrasorg
    low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von techtom ()

• Interesting to see you get such great power figures. I have the same CPU i3-4130T and wondered how it is for power. Do you know what kind of idle power figures you got with everything set to default ie no debian power tweaks?

• It is the whole HW/SW setup that enables low power consuption in idle operations: using latest Haswell CPU, chipsets, efficient PSU and latest intel drivers being avail. in 3.14 kernel. There are significant differences in power consumption wrt diffenrent motherboards. The DH87RL is known for low power in idle mode. The deep C states have to be enabled in the BIOS - they are normally switched off.
    The same HW setup and using Debian Squeeze (old intel drivers not optimized for i3-4130 CPU and HD GPU and backport kernel 3.2) and without anything enabled/optimized took around 23watts idle (disks spun down). Power was 21 watts without the three disks and only the boot mSATA SSD. You still can use powertop 1.1 to experiement. Enabling SATA Link Power Management is good for 3+ watts savings in my HW config.

low power Skylake NAS build <= 10 watts idle (4 disks), Fujitsu D3417-B, 16GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAIDZ1, 128GB M.2 NVMe SSD boot.
    backup NAS HP Proliant N54L, 4GB ECC RAM, 4x4TB WD Red - RAID 5, 30GB SATA boot.

• @techtom

Hi, just found your old thread

I am quite jealous at your power figures.

Here is my setup:
    Asrock E3C226D2I
    Core i3 4150
    16GB ECC RAM 1.35v
    Evo 840 128GB SSD
    5xWD Red
    2 Case Fans max 1w
    Pico PSU 160xt MiniBox

rc.local:

I get 21-22w . Do u have any more suggestions?

When I set the PCIe stuff as suggested in Powertop the machine hangs at reboot, and it saves no measurable power.

• @blubblub
    your setup is very different from mine and not 100% Intel/Haswell (which may explain the issues reported) but plus ASPEED 2300 for BMC controller, Realtek RTL8211E for dedicated IPMI GLAN - derived from their web page...
    This additional hardware is known to consume the extra bit of power ... and was the reason for me to use a low power desktop board which unfortunately is not not offering ECC.
    Anyway my advise would be to check if you can make the e.g. system headless while switching those things off - in case you do not need them.
    Sorry but for a server setup I have not seen figures been reported even close to the optimized Intel DH87RL.
    - guess there is not much less power you may get... let me know otherwise.

• The PSU also needs to supprt the haswell low power states to go down even further.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ok thx

I feared that the server grade board setup has taken its toll on power consumption. Sadly I cannot deactivate the IPMI in the BIOS, unplugging the cable of the dedicated Realtek only saves less than 1w - therefore I can just leave it plugged in and use the xtra features of IPMI.
    But overall the power figures are not bad compared to the features if I compare it with my old Qnap SS 439 which used 15-17w with discs idle, and now I can do soooo much more :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!