[Solved] Adding Share Folder from USB Stick

• Hi,

I have plugged in an external USB stick to my NAS box and and am trying to share it so that I can access it from my windows machine.

In the OMV Gui, I have the NANOPRO ( name of USB stick) mounted. When I try and add Shared Folder under the access rights management, I get the following error.

"Failed to set file group to 'users' for '/media/A987-47FE/USBStick/'

I have successfully accessed the USB drive from Windows machine but do not have permissions to modify it.

I think i might be missing a simple step, but have spent hours trying to figure it out..

please help
    thanks

• The USB Stick probably has an FAT or NTFS Filesystem which does not has support for setting owner and group correctly like Linux Filesystems. This may render the Stick Read-Only.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I've tried to mount the drive via the command line to try and attribute correct permissions

mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/fat

Back in OMV, it appears as mounted after this step, however it does not show up as a volume in the drop down menu when i try and Share Folders from it..

• If it is not mounted in the filesystem section it will not be available to create a shared folder. Why not simply move the data manually to another share on another data drive. If you want to use this stick permanently with OMV reformat it with a linux filesystem. Mount it. Then create a share on it and move the data back. Or you could simply share that data from another share on another data drive.

• Here is my situation and what i'm trying to achieve. Can't at the moment find a solution.

Currently have
    - NAS machine with OMV
    - Several Windows PCs

I have majority of files on the OMV machine. Folders are shared and I can access files , read, write over the LAN from my windows machines using SMB.

I also have external USB portable drives, NTFS ( and some FAt32) that are used to share files between my windows machines, friends machines, work machines.
    However, if eg I want to copy large and numerous files from the external drives to the OMV machine, it can be done by plugging in the external drives to one of the windows machines and over the network, however this is slooooow...

I'm trying to find a way that I can
    1. Mount NFTS external USB drive onto OMV machine with WRITE permissions
    2. Be able to share the folders on the USB exertnal drive so that I can access them from windows machines.

Can anyone help with a solution?
    thanks

• Well, didn't get any suggestions here but persisted and tried many different options.
    So for anyone that tries to do the same, the solution that I managed to get to was.

1. To mount FAT with read/write capability
    mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/sde1 /mnt/fat

2. To mount NTFS with read/write capability
    mount -t ntfs -o umask=000 /dev/sdd1 /mnt/ntfs

As pointed out by tekkbebe, if it's not mounted within OMV filesystem section it will not be available to create a shared folder. So, you can manually configure the Samba.conf file and add the mounts to allow sharing.

eg
    [FAT Files]
    path = /mnt/fat
    available = yes
    valid users = <user_name>
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes

It would be good if the next version of OMV allowed mounting options with the read/write capability for hard drives with the FAT/NTFS file systems

• Offizieller Beitrag

It already does... I can mount and use both filesystems on my machine??

I use the usbbackup plugin to mirror my repair usb stick a lot. I admit using the filesystems tab is not efficient if you want to remove that device all the time. But, if you are sharing with samba, you probably don't want to remove it all the time.

Bilder

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If it is not mounted in the filesystem section it will not be available to create a shared folder. Why not simply move the data manually to another share on another data drive. If you want to use this stick permanently with OMV reformat it with a linux filesystem. Mount it. Then create a share on it and move the data back. Or you could simply share that data from another share on another data drive.

sorry to make this live again, but what are the file systems that can be used by OMV in R/W?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!