HP Micro G7 N54L

• Good day!

I finally finished my NAS! :)
    Platform: HP Micro G7 N54L
    RAM: 8GB ECC
    System disk: SSD mSATA KINGSTON SMS200S3/30G
    Adapter for mSATA: Syba HDD SATA 6Gb/s + SSD mSATA Hybrid Drive PCI-Express x1 Card (SY-PEX40053)
    Options for server: Micro Server Remote Access Car
    HDD: 5 x 3.5" WD Red WD40EFRX 4TB + adapter for 3.5'' in 5.25''.

Result: I have great NAS 14.3TB (RAID5 software), remote manage (for full backup system) and very fast system (SSD).

OMV team, thank you very much!!! You are best!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nice system. That system will work very well :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I also had a N40L. cute little server, but have him back
    sold because no S3 is possible. find the G7/G8 also a bit too expensive,
    building itself is a bit cheaper or have more power. what I miss is the remote card.

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• He 'had' a N40L. Therefore he misses it, cause he used to have it... ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "noxx"

I also had a N40L. cute little server, but have him back
    sold because no S3 is possible. find the G7/G8 also a bit too expensive,
    building itself is a bit cheaper or have more power. what I miss is the remote card.

G8 It isn't suitable for me because can't install in it 5x3.5'' HDD.

• I think the HP Microservers are best for people that do not have the knowledge to build their own machines. If you can build your own why pay more. Your self built machine will most likely be bigger but it will be more powerful for less money.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I think the HP Microservers are best for people that do not have the knowledge to build their own machines. If you can build your own why pay more. Your self built machine will most likely be bigger but it will be more powerful for less money.

Can't comment on other countries, but in Australia there is no way you can build a compact server for the same price as an N54L. They typically retail here for about $220-$250. A vaguely comparable ATX system will be... about $250. But if you want a reasonable PSU, CPU Fan, and convenient drive bays... you are looking at much more. And if you want an ITX system, the cost is even higher.

• Same here in good old Germany.

Benefits:

N54L 150€ with 2GB and 250GBHDD (good for the OS :) ).
    Add €75 for the ILO card and you have a remote manageable server for very low money. You simply do not get the same quality of case and connections all fit it this budget.

Of cause you need to add the disks - but that is the same for anything. The ILO board is something that is absolutely makeing it for me. It sits under my desk an I never care about it. I also could put it in the basement, but I do not have a basement :)

Of cause the CPU is limited, but if you run this with OMV as NAS only and do not do any heavy lifting (computing) on it - your are a very happy camper.

And yes the G8 is by far to expensive.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Glad to see others are using this box. I plan to upgrade mine with a hacked bios and then set up a raid either a raid 5 or raid 10 with 4 hard drives. I am just reading up on OMV to make sure I learn enough about it. I was planning on buying a asustor 8 bay box but I liked how OMW looks and works.

• I have my eyes on one of these and OVM for a while now.

I see they sell them for 180 EUR with 4 GB ram and no HDD. I am not after some complex setup, but mostly it will provide accesss to shared files as well provide a backup of these mostly static data files.

I was thinking of running the OS from internal USB, put the logs and such from the OS on disk and then use another disk to keep backups (or perhaps use snapRAID setup?!). Part of files would be backups from website, so those would change every week and would have to have versions. I am thinking that these should be on separate partition from data files. data disks would be a faster blue one for serving files and a more reliable NAS drive for backups. is that a good plan?

server would be connected via electric socket connection (TP-link, encrypted) to router or switch. haven't decided yet if I really need to add a router for this as the other "server" on this same internet connection would be the Rpi with OpenELEC where I sometimes use torrent.

3 computers would connect to server via LAN and 2 over internet. I have an even mix of windows and Linux PC.

This small serve could store 3HDD and potentially as I understand via PCI card one could add 4 2,5" drivers in the DVD slot. there are also many USB drives where one could later add external drives maybe to put older pics and videos not accessed often.

• USB no good idea if this does not support static wear leveling.Otherwise it will be grilled within weeks if not days.

Speed of WD RED is fast enough for anyhting that is LAN or even Internetbackup.

Oh, and there are no partitions in OpenMediaVault.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

USB no good idea if this does not support static wear leveling.Otherwise it will be grilled within weeks if not days.

what else then? i've seen a couple of reviews on youtube suggestign one can run the OS form USB in this server. i mean if you move the stuff that is written down the OS is not really accesing the disk that much or am i wrong? should i use some other media storage program instead? or will all have the same issue?

Zitat

Oh, and there are no partitions in OpenMediaVault.

what no partitions? not even /swap? i have to look into this then.

• Use a USB to Sata Converter and use a SSD maybe? Or even small 2,5" HDD, but no flash media unless it supports static wear leveling.

Partitons? No. Not even swap: (OpenMediaVault Kralizec / Debian Wheezy output) - I have manually created a second partition on my OS Drive for /opt because I installed Debian Wheezy by hand.

Greetings
    David

• Ok after having my server over a year I am not going to be changing from Server 2012 to Open Media Vault. I getting everything set up for the change over, downloaded the new bios I need to install and got my self 3 new hard drives.

My question for you all is what other hardware do I need? I want to install a hard drive in the cd rom slot. I cant remember if there is an sata and power cable already there or not.

Just wanted to see what drive caddie other have used and what other cable you all bought.

I was looking at just reusing the 250gb that came with the server but would you all think it might be better if I went with a 2.5gb hard drive?

I know people have done so much with this box and just wanted to get some ideas.

Thank you in advance.

• I cant remember if there is an sata and power cable already there or not.

It is. Or it should be at least. If not, a chinese worker who assembled your machine forgot it. ;)

Just wanted to see what drive caddie other have used and what other cable you all bought.

Nothing. My 250GB hdd is laying on top of my DVD drive. Of course I taped it on the dvd drive. 8)

I was looking at just reusing the 250gb that came with the server

I´m using an old MacBook HDD which is several years old cause I bought the server with 4GB RAM instead of the HDD. But it is an excellent choice for installing OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!