My NIC doesn't seem to be running at the right speed

• Hello one and all,
    Toying around with my network today and found that my OMV is not running at the right speed.

Back when I was running the 32 bit version on it, it was running at 1000Mb/s, but with the 64 bit version of OMV running, it is running at 100Mb/s.
    If I tried this and got:

Code
    root@OMV:~# ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000Mb/s
    ethtool: bad command line argument(s)
    For more information run ethtool -h

I then read that you had to had to include the auto-negotiation, and tried this:

Code
    root@OMV:~# ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg on

but that took the box off the network. I tried to log in locally and reconfigure the NIC through the omv-firstaid, but I wound up having to reboot it. Now that it is back up, its still running at 100Mb/s

How do I get my speed back?
    Thanks,
    Ted

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Hello one and all,
    (I am reposting this in this area, because I didn't get any replys in the network area.)

Edit by Solo0815:
    cut, was the same post

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Try another network-cable and another port on your switch/router first 8-)

Then you can install the 3.2-kernel from the unofficial-plugins and see, if it works then.

• Thanks for that info. I changed the LAN cable to another CAT6 cable and then changed the switch port, with luck. I then changed the kernel to 3.2 and that didn't help either.

For whatever the reason, the issue only started when I changed from the 32 bit version of OMV to the 64 bit version. There were no hardware changes. Here is a shot of what my throughput was like on the 32 bit version.

To compare, this is what it looked like yesterday with the 64 bit version:

Same machine both time, the only difference is one was the 32 bit version of OMV 0.5 and the other OS the 64 bit version.
    BTW, this is an IBM System X3400 server that is about 4-5 years old, so it isn't running any cutting edge hardware. Is there a chance that the Broadcom driver for the 64 bit version of Linux isn't 100%?

I don't know if this will shed any light on things, but here is the info from the Support Tab:

Please let me know if there is any other info that I can provide to help figure this out.
    Thanks,
    Ted

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• If you have your 32bit install available on any HDD, you can try if

Code
    ethtool -i eth0

gives any difference on 32- and 64bit

Try to set the speed to with

Code
    ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!