**CrashPlan: Using it to backup client machines**

• I have since uninstalled it on the Windows machine awaiting your thoughts. I have not used the firewall. I Cleaned Crash plan off the Windows machine twice more, even doing a registry clean. Reinstalling and still it is not connecting to the linux engine.

I added the last line: servicePort:4200

• Is the crashplan engine running???

service crashplan status

if it is not running:

service crashplan start

Did you try the client on another machine???

You have to have the root ssh tunnel running and you need to make sure in the webgui under services/ssh that tcp forwarding is checked then apply and save.

• Well I seem to have come to the conclusion that since I am reinstalling on Linux, I need to completely clean out all referrences of CrashPlan on the Pc.... including the registry... Close all programs then do a system search for anything else, other than the install program, and delete. Then restart the computer. I forgot to do that and when time to log in I found that my email address was waiting for me when I checked the have account button.

I did to some searching, for this problem and here is what I found. http://crashplan.probackup.nl/…cal-backup-engine.en.html

This seems to make the most sense, at least to me.

• If you change the <serviceHost> var in /usr/local/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml to 0.0.0.0 and then at the Windows PC add to ui.properties serviceHost=NAS.ip, you can connect directly without a SSH tunnel.

Remember to activate the password for security reasons!

HP ProLiant N54L | 16 GB RAM | 4x4TB WD Red RAID 5 | ESXi 5.5 | OMV 2.1.x 64 bit

• Since i have running the CrashPlan service on my NAS everytime i'm starting a client PC, the HDDs in the NAS spin up. Any idea how to prevent that?

HP ProLiant N54L | 16 GB RAM | 4x4TB WD Red RAID 5 | ESXi 5.5 | OMV 2.1.x 64 bit

• Is it the free version or do you have a subscription???

I would make sure the client is not sending password via plain text without the tunnel. I do tunnels a lot and they are stored in Putty.

• Interesting:

http://www.jou.ca/2012/01/02/a…ote-crashplan-management/

• Thx, looks interesting.

My trial account ends in 10 days. Then i report if the disk still spin up, if i start a client PC.

• I'm working through this guide step by step and am stuck at moving the crashplan directory to my storage drive. It keeps coming back saying:

mv: cannot stat `/crashplan': No such file or directory
    root@OpenMediaVault:/usr/local/var#

How do I fix it? I think the directory is there (I did ls in usr/local/var and it lists crashplan there, but I am a linux newb, and not sure that I understand what I'm looking at)

• I was following your original guide, which states:

1. Maximize your CrashPlan tunnel session, or start a new root session.
    2. cd /usr/local/var
    3. mv /crashplan /media/UUID (where the UUID is the root of the data drive you want to move it to) In this example I will use this location:
    mv /crashplan /media/185ebf0e-6b50-42f3-9ebf-9596c27c38b5 (on your machine subsitute one of your drive's UUIDs)

the commands I used and the result were:

root@OpenMediaVault:~# cd /usr/local/var
    root@OpenMediaVault:/usr/local/var# mv /crashplan /media/b62465da-95f8-430a-ae38-cc00ef457e15
    mv: cannot stat `/crashplan': No such file or directory
    root@OpenMediaVault:/usr/local/var#

Based on your reply

Did you change directory to one level above that folder before you used the stat command???

I changed statement to mv crashplan /media/b62465da-95f8-430a-ae38-cc00ef457e15 and that seems to have worked as intended

Thank you for your assistance.

• No prob :) I finished the setup and am happily backing up win7 stuff. Next wrestling match is me vs ownCloud accessibility from outside my network. But first I'm going to read through the "working with the CLI".

Thanks again for your help :)

• With a subscription you would have continuous backup. That is why I asked. I'm not sure. The bind address should not effect it though.

My trial account ends in 10 days. Then i report if the disk still spin up, if i start a client PC.

Trial ended. HDDs in NAS still spin up, if i start one of my client PCs :(

• I would try the free version and see if the HDs are spinning with that too. The free version is not continuous backup so maybe it will not do that.

Or is it the same and you just get downgraded??? I can't remember.

• On my OMV Server i configured the Crash Plan service to accept Backups only on three days. But i start one of my clients, the HDDs still spin up every day.

Anytime a client connects to the Crashplan service, the HDDs spin up :(

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!