[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• problem solved:

Deleted all shared folders, deleted all snapraid HDDs, deleted pool, restart, delete and reinstall snapraid, delete all HDDs, unmount and mount them and tada, it works now.

Thanks for help.

• Another question:
    I copied 60GB to the pool, synced it and then replaced HDD1 with HDD3 and fixed the snapraid. it told me, that 2xxxxx error had been found and 2xxxxx errors are fixed. But the Data is not in the Pool anymore? Yes, i added the new hdd to the pool.

• I'm sorry for the stupid question, but how is supposed to be used the SnapRAID's read-only pool? The name that I put in the field "Pool Share Name" in the SnapRAID configuration page (eg: "MyReadOnlyPool") isn't referenced anywhere in the OMV interface. The only change that I've noticed when I've created the pool is the creation of a "pool" directory (and not "MyReadOnlyPool") in the /media dir of the root disk. I dont' see any method to share this dir with the OMV GUI, only by hand. I'm testing the last version of SnapRAID in a VM installation of OMV 2.1.18

• Two questions about Snapraid:

(1) It comes with a default scrub of 7 days, but how often does it sync? Where can I manually configure daily sync in the UI?

(2) This is a theory question. SR requires the largest disk in the array to be the parity disk. So if I setup a series of old disks as a test, it would look like this: 250GB, 250GB, 300GB for data, and 500GB for parity. How is this setup possible? How can an 800GB data set have its parity stored on a 500GB drive?

As may be clear from my questions, I have not used SR yet. I've got it installed and have read a lot, but am hesitant to use it because I don't quite understand it.

• (1) You can schedule a job for snapraid (In the Navi "Schedule Jobs") See here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13344648/snapjob.PNG

(2) Think about like this: snapraid calculates the checksum/hash of your data disk and saves this to the parity disk.
    In return snapraid can calculate the actual file from the hash. Additionally a filelist is stored on each data disk.

regards
    Tristan

That makes tons of sense. So the parity disk doesn't actually store copies or chunks of data, it stores symmetrical hashes that can be used to reproduce the original file in the event it goes missing. I was never clear on that. Very cool! Thanks Tristan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The snapraid manual is very helpful to understand everything snapraid does.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I see that Snapraid 9.1 has recently been released. Main things in Snapraid 9 seem to be a big reduction in memory usage for syncs plus new features for scrubs.

• My OMV has SnapRAID and aufs installed for pooling/redundancy.

Plex is installed on the same pool as all of my data (there is only pool, which encompasses all of my drives). When SnapRAID runs sync or diff, it does a lot of work because Plex is constantly creating/modifying hundreds of little files as it runs in the background. Do I need to worry about all of that work that SnapRAID is doing? If so, how can I stop Plex from overwhelming SnapRAID?

Assuming that I shouldn't be making my Plex files redundant, my ideal solution would be to move Plex to the free space on my boot drive and continue to use SnapRAID on my entire data pool. However, I haven't been able to create any kind of share or perform an install to the boot drive in the GUI. Is there any way to do this? If not, what does the community suggest to resolve this problem?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would second that. Try mergerfs.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Problem solved. I thought about this for a bit and realized that the easiest solution to get Plex on the boot drive would be to shrink the OS partition and make another partition for Plex. I did that, mounted the new Plex partition, and moved my database files. Everything is golden as far as SnapRAID is concerned :)

• Hi All,

Is there any reason snapraid is still at 8.1 via the plugin? I'm wondering how I update it with omv-extra's or if I should just ditch the plugin and manually install and update snapraid.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any reason snapraid is still at 8.1 via the plugin?

I have updated to the latest for OMV 3.x but not 2.x. Is there something in a newer release that is critical?

• Offizieller Beitrag

no one ? its pretty urgent :( thank for all your help in advance

Just set snapraid up the same as before. Not sure if it will have to do a complete sync or if it will use some of the old info. aufs should care at all.

• Quote from evlcookie: “Is there any reason snapraid is still at 8.1 via the plugin?”
    I have updated to the latest for OMV 3.x but not 2.x. Is there something in a newer release that is critical?

Well.... the thing that would be nice is the lower memory footprint and faster speeds. (Not 10.x faster speeds, but users do report faster speeds...) My setup takes 150+ hours to do a sync after big moves, so every little bit would help.

Thx!

OMV 2.1.x (Stone Burner) 64bit running on an Dell XPS8500 @ 3.4Ghz with 3.16 Backports Kernel with 28 x 4TB WD Reds (110 TB) in MediaSonic Probox enclosures connected by USB 3.0 =O . Snapraid 9.3 for Backup :) . Plex on a separate box for serving media.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will compile i386 and amd64 builds of 9.3 later today.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!