[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• you rock! much appreciated!

Here's my first report - with 8.1, I used 10.4G of RAM. With the only change being the version upgrade, I'm now at 4.2G of RAM. Thrilled by that! We'll see how it goes with time to sync, but the initial signs are great. Can't wait for 10.x, but the 9.x version is a great improvement for me!

FON

OMV 2.1.x (Stone Burner) 64bit running on an Dell XPS8500 @ 3.4Ghz with 3.16 Backports Kernel with 28 x 4TB WD Reds (110 TB) in MediaSonic Probox enclosures connected by USB 3.0 =O . Snapraid 9.3 for Backup :) . Plex on a separate box for serving media.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von FONMaster ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

9.3 for amd64 and i386 in the repo.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Would be very cool if it were in the repository. I really need the multi-threading.

Please?

Pretty Please? ;)

OMV 2.1.x (Stone Burner) 64bit running on an Dell XPS8500 @ 3.4Ghz with 3.16 Backports Kernel with 28 x 4TB WD Reds (110 TB) in MediaSonic Probox enclosures connected by USB 3.0 =O . Snapraid 9.3 for Backup :) . Plex on a separate box for serving media.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is going to take a bit. Something in snapraid changed and the package building process needs to be fixed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

snapraid 10.0 for i386 and amd64 is in repos.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Awesome! Now only we can get the stable 3.0 would sweeten the package.

I can't grant that wish.

• Oh.... I just itching to do my first 10.0 run. Damn parity file had an issue, so have to copy one over to a new drive. <sigh> I can't wait!

• a couple of notes about 10.0 for those who are interested.

1) it is faster. I think the estimates from the beta are probably right... about 2x faster. Nothing but goodness.
    2) it does use more memory than 9.3. With 9.3, I was using about 4.5gb, with 10.0 It's back to 8ish... still down over 8.x levels.
    3) CPU utilization is a little higher. Not a lot higher, but somewhat.. so if you run a transcoder on your box (i.e. plex) you may want to watch it at first.

Happy snapping!

FON

• (1) You can schedule a job for snapraid (In the Navi "Schedule Jobs") See here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13344648/snapjob.PNG

(2) Think about like this: snapraid calculates the checksum/hash of your data disk and saves this to the parity disk.
    In return snapraid can calculate the actual file from the hash. Additionally a filelist is stored on each data disk.

regards
    Tristan

The dropbox link is dead. What's the Command to enter in the Scheduled task for a Sync? A screenshot would be very helpful.

• I just 'snapraid sync'. nothing fancier than that.

• Think I've come across a bit of a bug. Not sure if it's something I did or a legitimate bug though.

It seems that something is weird with the snapraid-diff script. The day after I get the email notification that the scrub was completed, at the bottom of the diff script, I see:

Code
    SnapRAID SCRUB-Cycle count (7) not met (2). No scrub was run. - Mon Mar 14 00:02:44 EDT 2016

The next day, the (2) is a (4), then a (6), then the fourth day it does a scrub. I checked and I only have the one entry in Scheduled Jobs (set to Daily), and I only get the one email.

This isn't exactly a BAD thing in my mind, but it probably shouldn't be happening, and little things like that bug me. Anyone seen that happen? Searching has come up blank.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably have the default setting of 7 days for Scrub Frequency. So, it is doing what it is told :)

• I do have the default setting of 7 days set. That doesn't explain why it's doing it every 4 days though.

Code
    SnapRAID SCRUB-Cycle count (7) not met (2). No scrub was run. - Mon Mar 14 00:02:44 EDT 2016
    SnapRAID SCRUB-Cycle count (7) not met (4). No scrub was run. - Tue Mar 15 00:03:15 EDT 2016
    SnapRAID SCRUB-Cycle count (7) not met (6). No scrub was run. - Wed Mar 16 00:02:16 EDT 2016

As you can see, it's incrementing by 2 for each day. Since the script is only being run once per day, I am uncertain as to why that is.

Like I said, it's not exactly a BAD thing, and if I really wanted to do only a single scrub once every 7 days, I could just set it to 14. But it does seem curious that it would be behaving this way.

And no, I'm not running manual scrubs, nor do I have a manual cron job configured to do so. Just leaves me scratching my head.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Line 275 and 416 both increment the COUNTER variable. I don't know which location is the correct location but I think 275 is wrong. Can you try commenting it out?

#let COUNTER++

• I've commented it out, but I just added a new drive to SnapRAID for Parity this morning and it's running a sync right now which may take a small eternity, so I'm going to let that be; I expect it will be done before midnight at which point I'll get an email and we'll see what happens. Scrub was last night. I'll let you know what the outcome is, thanks!

• Okay, after a couple of issues with the server, it finally ran the snapraid script last night, and I got the following:

Code
    SnapRAID SYNC Job finished - Sat Mar 19 01:24:42 EDT 2016
    ----------------------------------------
    SnapRAID SCRUB-Cycle count (7) not met (1). No scrub was run. - Sat Mar 19 01:24:42 EDT 2016Yours, SnapRAID-diff script

Since I'd never seen 1 before, I would theorize that commenting that line out corrected the issue. I'll post tomorrow once I confirm it incremented on the second run.

Thanks!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!