Backup a live system

• Any idea when v3 will go live?
    I can not play with beta, I only have one server.

Sent from my phone

And the correct answer is soon ... I am not a developer of OMV or plugins but if you look in the right places you can see that it may be released very soon.

BUT ... to elaborate ... it is my thought that it will move from testing to Beta. I believe there are 3 phases ... Testing, Beta and Stable.

If you only have enough hardware to run a Stable Stoneburner then plan on enjoying the Stable installation until OMV 3 is listed as Stable.

This is not to say that Beta is bad ... it may have kinks to work out and if so you may find and document them. On the other hand it may work great for you and everyone else. With the limited testing that has been done there may be new problems that arise due to a wider variety of hardware than has already been tested or other conceivable problems that cannot be found without more people using it.

I have been using an open source movie catalog program that works great for over 5 years and I don't believe to this day it could be listed as anything but Beta.

If in doubt don't gamble ... after all the Forum is full of people with a Stable version of OMV that have problems. Usually during install or with configuration changes they make. I expect there to be lots of new posts when people begin using OMV 3.

I have 2 Windows Servers running and want OMV to serve me for Yet Another backup of files I do not want to lose and also to be used for Usenet Downloads so my Primary Client computer can be relieved of doing that task.

OMV 2 |64 bit|

Your Test Results are back: You are Granted License to Own a Computer But Your Recent Score Does Not Allow For You To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to it.
    You may study and retake the Exam ... If your score is sufficiently improved the License may be upgraded to allow for Mouse and Keyboard Connection.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope. OMV will be ready before some of the plugins.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• well I kind of guessed that v3 will not be out in the next couple of weeks.

besides I am sure that some of the plugins I use might not be fully ported in time anyway.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think OMV will be out in that timeframe. Plugins - maybe not.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I think OMV will be out in that timeframe. Plugins - maybe not.

REALLY !?!? 8o
    COOL

how can I find out if plugins I really need will be ready by then too?

my basic needs (as in the things I really really need) are Support for BTRFS (I think V3 will support it out of the box, right? no need for back-port kernel), SnapRaid, MergerFS, and VirtualBox or UI for KVM.
    this is a MUST have for me. I am so glad I moved off the BTRFS raid pools and switched to SnapRaid and MergerFS. it makes recovery so much easier.

a nice to have but I can wait for it is OpenVPN (already been hacked don't want a repeat )

everything else is just gravy. if I need/want file manager I might add WebMin to the server. I like its file manager better than OMV eXtplower.

• Offizieller Beitrag

SnapRaid is ready.
    Unionfilesystems plugin needs some fixes to work with 3.0.25.
    Virtualbox is ready as of an hour ago.
    Btrfs is supported for simple formats and mounting existing stuff.
    OpenVPN is ready.
    You could manually install extplorer using the nginx plugin if you want. Personally, when I need a filesystem gui (rare), I just use winscp.

• can I just say WOW :)

except for Unionfilesystems all I use is here. and I can wait for mergerfs a bit.
    so if v3 is out in coiple of weeks I be very happy.
    I like using native support for things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the plugin has been ported, yes. Because going from OMV 2 to 3 is also an underlying OS change, it doesn't always go perfect though. The last upgrade I did need a reboot in the middle and apt-get -f install to finish. I would definitely test the process on a VM if you are worried. Back up the system as well.

• So, plugins that haven't been ported, will be removed such as NextCloud, Webmin ?
    Btw, my Plex is installed in my media drive /media/UUID, will that be transfer over to OMV3 ?

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

Plugins that haven't been ported will cause problems. You will have to manually remove them or engined won't work.

Plex should be ok but I haven't tested it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depends on the system. Sometimes power savings, speed, better stability, better drivers, etc. I run backports kernel on all of my systems.

• I guess I stay on Wheezy for a while.

What's the benefits using Jessie kernel?

This is really off topic for the original "Backup A Live System" but we are here.

I really like the question about "What's the benefits using Jessie kernel?" which in my mind I rephrase to Why would I want to upgrade to OMV 3 which will be running on the Jessie Kernel.

I have compared the Stable Plugins listed on OMV Extras site for OMV 2 and OMV 3. There are some differences I saw but for the most part the 2 lists are the same. Two differences I see are OMV 3 has Shellinabox and Flashmemory plugins which will make them easy to install. I have seen a procedure to install Flashmemory in OMV 2 without a plugin but from what I read about Shellinabox it is either hard or impossible to install into OMV 2.

I can keep with the Stable OMV 2 and learn more about installing Apts from the command line or can install OMV 3 Beta when it comes out so I can have more plugins. Either way I go will give me more opportunities to learn more.

Probably the wisest choice would be to stick with what is stable and perhaps run the Beta in a Virtual environment.

I have 2 Windows Servers which have not been totally filled to capacity ... so OMV for me is a learning tool at present but which I hope to learn well enough to feel confident enough to rely upon.

OMV 3 Beta will be interesting to try and with the listed plugins it is supposed to have may suit my needs but I should probably take advantage of the excuse to learn more with OMV 2.

Any tips on adding functionality to OMV 2 that cannot be gotten through plugins would be appreciated. Links to resources you have found useful are always good.

OMV 2 |64 bit|

Your Test Results are back: You are Granted License to Own a Computer But Your Recent Score Does Not Allow For You To Connect a Mouse and Keyboard to it.
    You may study and retake the Exam ... If your score is sufficiently improved the License may be upgraded to allow for Mouse and Keyboard Connection.

• what are you taking about?
    I am running (well I was running until I got hacked last week) v2.2.4 and had Shellinabox and Flashmemory plugins on it.
    they were part of the omv-extras repo. and they installed very easy on v2.2.4.

to say that this plugins are not in OMV v2 is simply wrong.

now, personally for me , an incentive to move to v3 would be an out of the box support for BTRFS , with version 2 I need to run a back-port kernel to have that, which is not a big issue but I like to run a main kernel rather than something special if I can.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 2.x has all of the plugins that OMV 3.x has and more. While I did split a couple of plugins into their own plugins for OMV 3.x, there are no new plugins for OMV 3.x that don't exist on OMV 2.x yet.

• Thank you for replies from ryecoaaron and vl1969

I decided to login to the webgui and double check. Found I had indeed overlooked Flashmemory plugin but Shellinabox was nowhere to be found.

I Googled Shellinabox and found a post which steered me to Shellinabox plugin today which points to quote from ryecoaaron

openmediavault-shellinabox 1.2 and shellinabox-2.18 in testing repo now.

I had not enabled OMV-Extras.org Testing .... Release Candidates ... I did not consider myself proficient enough to want to expose my system to try anything that was sill being Tested.

Oh silly me.

Note to self ... look 3 times before speaking, Google is your friend ... dig deeper and do not fear to Enable OMV-Extras.org Testing which is the only way to get access to Shellinabox.

After enabling OMV-Extras.org Testing the Shellinabox plugin is now the first plugin in the plugin list all by itself in Administrative Category.

I will enable the 2 plugins you pointed out were there and test them before I do my planned reinstall to new SSD.

It may be nice to not have to use Putty to SSH into my system.

Thanks again for the replies.

Edit: To let you know I am not a complete Idiot (Still a work in progress) ... I was able to install both plugins and am happy with the results.

I revisited OMV-Extras.org 2 page Shellinabox does not show in list of plugins. I looked on both Stable and Testing pages and Shellinabox is on neither.
    If your encouragement had not prompted me to Google deeper I would not have found the post I previously quoted which solved the problem.
    The OMV-Extras 3 page is the only place where you see Shellinabox listed which is what led me to believe it Shellinabox was not in OMV 2 but would be in OMV3 when it is released to Beta.

I used Shellinabox to SSH into OMV so I could edit the Fstab file to complete installation of Flashmemory and reboot as required ... works great. Easier on the eyes than using Putty and you do not have to go to the extra effort of resizing the screen like you do with Putty.

OMV 2 |64 bit|

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Ancient_Wizard ()

• Guys now that I have all my OMV working, I want to backup it.
    I have OMV installed on a microSD, so i'm Fine with backuping the entire SD, grub included.
    Can someone tell me the best way to do it? I was thinking about make an ISO of the SD with clonezilla, then zipping it with something like 7zip.
    Or there are other programs that are better suited?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Personally, I use dd run daily from cron to image the entire system disk. It's only 16GB so I don't care about backing up the slack space. I don't bother with compressing the image, but I might do it by hand once to see how much it would save. I keep the seven most recent backups.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Personally, I use dd run daily from cron to image the entire system disk. It's only 16GB so I don't care about backing up the slack space. I don't bother with compressing the image, but I might do it by hand once to see how much it would save. I keep the seven most recent backups.

what's cron? And which program are you using?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!