Update from OMV 0.4.6 - checklist, steps, and gotchas...

• A client's OMV system that I have just taken over the administration for is reporting that the current upgrade will take me from OMV 0.4.6 ==> OMV 0.4.31.

I am looking to upgrade to the latest OMV 0.5.x.

The steps I'm looking to follow are:

1.) Perform the upgrade from OMV 0.4.6 ==> OMV 0.4.31 ==> 0.4.35 (??? is that the latest?) ==> OMV 0.5.x (The latest version)

or

2.) Perform the upgrade from OMV 0.4.6 ==> OMV 0.5.x (The latest version), taking into account the instructions using omv-0.5-upgrade-cleaning_v0.7.7.sh documented HERE: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2262

I'm interested in knowing which is the preferred method, anything I should pay particular attention to in the process. Anything I should be watching out for or be extra careful of?

The machine might have a couple of non-core plugins installed, but aside from SAMBA services, there isn't really anything I'm concerned about losing wrt system configs and services.

On the other hand, I do have a few OMV boxes in my datacenter serving as iSCSI SANs, and was wondering what problems I might encounter by removing that plugin before an upgrade to 0.5.x (concerned about losing targets and target configs in the process) - actually, perhaps it's better if I address those concerns in a separate post.

I'm interested in hearing any comments and suggestions, and pointers on this issue :)

Kindest regards,

Bradley D. Thornton
    Manager Network Services
    NorthTech Computer
    http://NorthTech.US
    TEL: +1.760.666.2703 (US)
    TEL: +44.203.318.2755 (UK)

Registered Linux User #190795

- "Ask Bill why the string in [MS-DOS] function 9 is terminated by a dollar sign. Ask him, because he can't answer. Only I know that." - Dr. Gary Kildall.

• Offizieller Beitrag

omv-release-upgrade is generally what you use to upgrade and it isn't found in omv 0.4 until 0.4.36 (0.4.37 is latest). You should be able to go from 0.4.6 to 0.4.37 with no problems. If the system is working well, there really is no need to upgrade to 0.5 yet (especially if you have third party plugins - omvpluginsorg).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I agree with ryecoaaron that if the 0.4.xx version is working well for your client to stay with it. There are plugins that are still being ported to 0.5.xx.

You may have already done this - before upgrading I would backup the entire OMV system drive with Clonezilla.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!