[Still in progress] OMV 3.0 on Linksys WRT1900AC v2 router

• The Linksys WRT1900AC v2 is one of the router in WRT1x00AC series router which claimed to have full open source support, the Marvell WiFi driver module source code (mwlwifi on GitHub) has been released and so you may already see the OpenWRT/DD-WRT firmware for this router already.

I saw that someone has created a working Debian Jessie (8.5) on this router as well (McDebian), what the author did was to create a rootfs on USB memory, and the internal flash only store the minimal boot image to extend the life of flash. Considering the hardware, dual core Marvell Armada 385 1.6GHz + 512MB DDR3 which is exactly the same as the existing Synology DS-216 selling on market, I believe the performance for this router being as a NAS should be pretty well, and this router equips with eSATA port as well, so I decided to have a try on OMV.

OMV 2.x was failed to install on Jessie, because of the watchdog issue, it asks for kernel 4.2.4 driver which I do not have (not really wanted to compile again), and then I started to check on OMV 3.0, seeing that the core is getting mature so I decided to have a try. I ran "omv-release-upgrade" from command line, and, it works perfectly!

It recognizes all 3 HDDs in my enclosure!

I say "Still in progress" in title because, OMV 3.0 is not yet released, but I can see that some core feature is already working. Second thing is, I found that the eSATA with port multiplier is not working properly. As I did try to use the same enclosure with stock Linksys firmware without issue, I believe this should be related to the base OS rather than hardware itself, so now I can't test on it under Debian (the SATA link breaks all the time), I filed a bug report to McDebian author to seek for solution. I remember last time testing with stock firmware I can get 110MB/s write and 95MB/s read with Crystal HDD benchmark which is quite impressive, I think OMV under McDebian should behave similarly when SATA link problem solved!

Side track: I've also installed another software from Github named Ajenti, a pretty good tool, especially the dashboard for monitoring :)

• why not try webmin instead of Agenty?
    I had always run into problems installing agenty, every time I tried
    webmin never failed me.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• why not try webmin instead of Agenty?
    I had always run into problems installing agenty, every time I tried
    webmin never failed me.

Ajenti has better interface :P
    And well, I can add "hddtemp" "lm-sensors" to dashboard in Ajenti but nothing for Webmin, Webmin is not good at "monitoring"
    Yes I agree that on ARM platform Ajenti is difficult to install, but I managed to figure out what was wrong and eventually success on this.

• Ajenti has better interface :P And well, I can add "hddtemp" "lm-sensors" to dashboard in Ajenti but nothing for Webmin, Webmin is not good at "monitoring"
    Yes I agree that on ARM platform Ajenti is difficult to install, but I managed to figure out what was wrong and eventually success on this.

Not sure if it will run but if it does Netdata is a very good alternative for just monitoring stuff.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!