New to OMV - DHCP questions

• I am just now investigating the possibility of using OMV. OMV will be my first ever use of a server OS. Question: Will OMV be providing the DHCP leases or will my router? I am interested in being able to shut down the server at nights and restart in the mornings. Is there anything additional that anyone would like to point out to me about this inquired topic?

Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• well it all depends on your setup.
    while you can load DHCP server on OMV it is not standard setup thus by default your router is one and only DHCP server on the network.

what is your target use for OMV, anyway ?

PS>> I would not use the drives for anything but playing around (except for WD ). IMHO they are simply too old to be reliable for anything to be stored on them.
    yes, even just laying around they can go bad.
    I had a bunch of drives laying around in usb enclosures for 4 years and when I tried to read them, 4 out of six where dead.
    luckily I had nothing on them I needed. I want to use them in my test server.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• The target use of the OMV is for small office home office. I have my entire house set up with hard wired ethernet.

I want to access files (.docx, .xlsx etc) from three computers.

I do not, at this time, have any interest in accessing media files in my house. Just no need for it.

I am also wanting to install a CRM (customer relationship management) program on the server. I'm hoping that OMV has an app that does CRM. I don't even know how apps work or how they install. I do not know if apps have to be made specifically for OMV or whether any app can be installed to work in a server environment.

I will also be wanting to install Quickbooks or Peachtree (now known as Sage50) accounting. Quickbooks system requirement specs are:

• Windows Vista SP2, 7 SP1 or 8.1 Update (32-bit & 64-bit)
    • Windows Server 2003 SP2 (32-bit & 64-bit), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, 2012 R2 or Windows Small Business Server 2008/2011 (64-bit) recommended for multi-user

Sage50 requirements are:

• Multiuser environments are supported in Sage 50 Premium Accounting and higher
    • Multiuser mode is optimized for Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012 client-server networks, and Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 peer-to-peer networks

I am hoping that OMV is able to somehow install these accounting programs onto the server.

I am also interested in a VPN. I thought it would be nice to access the internet without everyone watching my every move.

I also have one printer that also currently runs on the router network

I also have two cell phones that like to make use of the internet via wireless.

Those are the primary reasons I want OMV.

Current OMV5.3.4-1 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: ASRock AB350Pro4 Mobo, AMD A8-9600 Bristol Ridge Quad-Core 3.1 GHz, 16GB Ram, Kingston A400 120GB SSD, WD Blue 4TB HDD

Backup OMV5 OPERATING ENVIRONMENT: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (always latest build) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz 8GB ram; OMV 5.0-amd64 Linux Debian running virtual via VirtualBox v5.2.22
    DATA Backup - Two sets of identical backups using GoodSync 1-way backup onto 2 external drives.

• OK, lets get few things out of the way.
    #1. OMV will not install anything for you. It is first and foremost a NAS.
    #2. OMV is not what you think .
    It does not have a desktop and any other facilities to help you with installing any application that is not supported via plug-in

OMV is designed to be a powerful file server with extra abilities but still file serving is a primary function.

#3 and more importantly except for crm, all of the programs you describe are windows based. They will not run on omv or any other Linux based server OS . There may be a way to set-up and run some of them on Linux desktop OS using Wine or spmthing like that, but most server based setups are out.
    One exception is using virtualization. I. E. Run a hypervisor on server OS and run windows in VM.

However gaging your experience level that might be too much to ask .

If you really do have a need for all you describing, you need a much better hardware set-up and you need a windows OS .

Also, for windows, forget about anything lower than win10 or 2012 R2 server.
    All other skus are outdated and not supported anymore by MS.

For network you already have most of the set-up.
    You have your house wired so all PCs can be pluged in.
    Get a nice wireless router to provide wifi to all wireless devices . Do your research on router, some of them support vpn as we'll.
    Any windows server set-up has prunter serving support.

Sent from my phone

• Thanks, Kai :thumbup:

• A server is a computer that serves clients. It's a role, not necessarily tied to hardware or software, except for requirements of the particular application you want your server to run and the environment in which you need to run it. You can declare that either one of your computers is now a server and there, you have a server.

A NAS is a kind of server that is dedicated to sharing files, usually taylored for reliability, availability, redundancy and backup. You could do that stuff with any PC if you want to spend time setting it up, but OMV is a nice lean Linux distribution designed for that sole purpose.

What you seem to need is a Windows box to run your particular CRM and accounting software, so just install those programs on one of your Windows boxes and call it a server.

The other roles you mention (DHCP, wifi, print server, and VPN) are router features, so you just need to get a decent router, not a server.

• As nibb31 pointed out server for the most part is a role. And a set of hardware fullfiling that role also called server.
    However, an OS that is designated as Server OS is a special animal . While almost any OS can be set-up and used on server role hardware, there is a special subset of operating systems that are specifically designated to be used on server machines. They have their poirpose for a reason.

In your case, you need several things that although can be set-up and run all on one set-up are very difficult to do so. And because many of things are windows based it is quite expensive too boot. But many of windows desktop OS can be used as server roles to an extent. In your case it is absolutly possible and also cost effective as you already have it.

Sent from my phone

• A server is a computer ... A NAS is a kind of server that is dedicated to sharing files, usually taylored for reliability, availability, redundancy and backup. ... What you seem to need is a Windows box to run your particular CRM and accounting software, so just install those programs on one of your Windows boxes and call it a server. ...

This was a really well stated lesson for me to finally understand what the heck is going on.

... In your case, you need several things that although can be set-up and run all on one set-up are very difficult to do so. And because many of things are windows based it is quite expensive too boot. But many of windows desktop OS can be used as server roles to an extent. In your case it is absolutly possible and also cost effective as you already have it.

Both of you have finally hit home with me. I don't know why it took so long for me to grasp the concept; but, it did. I was merely envisioning something different than what takes place with NAS servers. I will proceed with my peer-to-peer mapping, OS images, daily backups, and Win 10 OS's, external backup drives, etc. I evidently was just making things too technical when not necessary. I thought there was something that would make my setup easier; when really I already have it.

I would like to thank you two for helping me through this. :thumbup:

I do have two final questions, if you don't mind - 1) tell me what an example(s) would be (if any example pertains at all to begin with) of some point in time, way in the future, when you could visualize that I would want to employ a server for our small office home office operation -or- when the operation gets bigger and moves out of the home??? 2) What is an example(s) of something that I should not expect Win 10 to provide me in a soho environment???

• 1) When you decide that the desktop PC that is serving your CRM/accountance applications, serving your CIFS file shares and handling backup jobs, shouldn't be used as a regular desktop any more and should be dedicated to only handling those tasks.

2) Windows 10 is quite appropriate for a small office environment, especially if your business is based on Windows software. It's just expensive and overblown if all you need is a NAS.

• I would say that
    #1. You would need a real server when your needs would include things that only possible with a server grade OS. Like having a domain not workgroup. Active directory, an in-house e-mail server.
    More robust file sharing and security. Floating user profiles.
    There is quite some list of feature that can only be implemented on server grade OS.
    Also, there is a lot of things that important to the business that you would need a server grade hardware as well .
    Most Soho, desktop computers do not support multiple CPU , redundant PSU etc.
    Meaning actual multiple soquet CPU set-up. Most Soho hardware is not designed for 24/7 use.

Windows 10 is very capable, and for desktop use it is very good.

also keep in mind, that just because you think you need a real server, any server will do.
    it all boils down to want and need but also what you already have and your skill level.

setting up and maintain a business infrastructure is a full time job in itself. you need proper skill set and knowledge to do it well.

an example based on your current scenario:

you need/want a File Server and an Application server. (you want to share data and you want to have a multi-user application(s) like CRM and accounting package running)
    So, file server is easy enough, you can pick anything from Linux based (OMV, NethServer, RockStore or even any Linux distribution) to name a few. BSD based (FreeBSD, FreeNAS, NAS4Free)
    Windows (Any recent Windows OS of your choice your budget is the limit i.e. Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012)
    or since you have a very small environment any off the shelf NAS will do just fine.

VPN, presents a challenge as it must work with your ISP and router but most solutions mentioned above are also capable of running a small VPN server package
    Linux/BSD setup may even have a free solution for you. Windows based setup will cost money.

now your Apps are mostly Windows based so that limits your choice of platform to ,well, Windows only.
    your Application server MUST be windows based. no IFs or BUTS about it. you might find the Linux based CRM package that might work for you but the rest are Windows only.

as you see by them self, each of your requirements are some what simple and doable easy enough,limited only by your skills, will to spend time on setup and budget, but put together
    the only choice left is Windows based hardware/OS setup where your budget is the limit on how far you can go with it.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von vl1969 ()

• 1) When you decide...

I would say that...

GREAT STUFF!! One final question - promise ^^ . It appears I can use a PC for now to have a few computers to access files. I still have the problem of data integrity and safety of files being used (shared) from one computer to another. Thus, I ask the both of you - Would it be advisable to now invest (for the PC that will act as somewhat of a server) to invest in a low end server motherboard AND maybe 8GB to 16GB of ECC ram ?????

I feel bad about taking your time for my questions. I sure hope that I do make this my final question. :/:rolleyes:

• If you want a dedicated (somewhat safe) file server, then you can get a NAS, install a couple of RAID drives and a backup solution.

Your NAS can be a ready-built QNAP or Synology box, or it can be a full-blown rack server with OMV, or something in between like a PC or an HP Microserver. A server motherboard alone won't do much to help, neither will ECC RAM.

But a NAS will not help you with your Windows application software. It's for file storage and sharing. For windows software, you will need a Windows server.

• ... But a NAS will not help you with your Windows application software. It's for file storage and sharing. For windows software, you will need a Windows server.

Fully understood.

Curiosity: does the following sound like a doable setup for me?

The following is from an ad:

Have a Dell PowerEdge T610 server pulled from production. It's completely functional. Has the following specs:

* 1 x Intel Xeon E5520 processor (quad core) - there is an empty slot for 2nd processor
    * 8GB DDR3, ECC, RDIMM memory (2 x 4GB)
    * PERC 6/iR RAID card
    * 2 x 750GB Near-line SAS 7.2k hard drives (mirrored in RAID 1)
    * 2 x 570W 80 Plus Gold redundant power supplies
    * DVD-ROM drive
    * Front-panel status/info LCD display

Has from 8 - 3.5" drive hot-swappable front drive bays. Includes license
    for Windows Server 2008 (OEM sticker on the case). Drives are blank, but
    I'll include installation media. 2 power cables also included. Asking
    only $180 for this server. Cash and local pickup only please.

• if it is fully functional it is a pretty good deal except couple of thing to watch out for.

if the drive bays are only SAS capable, than you will need SAS drives, which are more expensive over SATA. they are better but cost more.
    the servers, especially DELL servers are almost always very loud. so if you putting it some where in the home you will hear it no matter what.
    and there is nothing you can do about. very few server models can accept quite PSU and cost of the PSU will double if not triple your initial investment of $180.

other than that, you can always add more RAM and a second CPU if needed.

I do not know what your level of expertise is on how to work with networks, computers in general etc.
    also I am not sure what your budget is as well.

but here is couple of suggestions solutions if you will:

if you do have a budget of somewhere between $500 to $1000 that you can spend for a short-to-medium term goal.
    try to score a used/refurbished server setup on ebay or see if you can find one locally.
    there is a very nice seller on ebay "TAMSolutions <tamsolutions@hotmail.com>"
    that have great hardware for sale almost all the time for a nice price.
    you can score a SuperMicro server for between $250-$400 which is ready to go as soon as you add the drives in.

I like SM servers as they always can be moded to accept normal SOHO PSUs if need be. not pretty but works.

so , find a nice server with at least a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM
    load a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server on it. the core server is free , but you will have to manage it from your win10 desktop as there is no gui.

than you can load couple of VMs on the server as you see fit.
    setup a VM for file server, you can seve there by using OMV for it. it's free and is very capable and user friendly file server.
    setup SAMBA shares and you are ready to go.
    load a windows VM for your CRM and accounting software or split this into 2 VMs as your licenses allow.
    FYI: you will need a license for each windows VM you use.
    but VM server allows you to play with other systems at your leasure so if you find let say CRM that works on Linux
    you can set that one up.

you can try to load your quick book on Linux desktop using Wine, and if it works, there is a $100 bucks saved on windows licence right there.

• if it is fully functional ... $100 bucks saved on windows licence right there.

Lots to absorb here. I certainly had no idea a few weeks ago the can of worms that I would open. I just thought a little bit of looking around on the internet and up would come a turnkey solution. Yeah, right.

• well there are lots of solutions for what you need, it's just all hinges on your budget and true need.

for example:
    there are plenty of CRM solutions out there.
    do you need/want a cloud solution? "Salesforce", "Insightly", MicrosoftCRM
    PROS : nothing to install or manage, 24/7 availability, access from anywhere
    CONS : not easily configurable to your needs/wants, always on high speed internet access is a MUST, data is not under your control.
    cost to benefit ratio might be not so good.

there are free solutions as well: "Zoho" ,"HubSpot"
    PROS : free
    CONS : limited user base, not so good support.

I am sure there are alternatives for quickbook and peachtree. out there that are low cost or even free but they might not be as good as originals.

if cost is a factor than you simply must accept the fact that some thing are not as easy to do or even not truly needed right now.
    or be willing to work on using alternatives if you can.

• Thanks again for all the help, suggestions, and input.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!