Updating the Plex Plugin with a button

• Continuing on from here Abandoned plugins,

Would it be possible to also add in this https://github.com/mrworf/plexupdate to the plugin with a button to update plex?

It would be pretty handy and I'm still at beginner level but what would it involve to incorporate it like a new tab with input fields for the links instead of having to ssh in to get it done?

It's not exactly urgent and I'm having a go at it now but advice would be nice :) .

• Offizieller Beitrag

Umm.. When we put a new version in the repo, you just update from the Updates tab. Why do you need something else?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Umm.. When we put a new version in the repo, you just update from the Updates tab. Why do you need something else?

You are better off to wait for us to put the plex update in the repo. Using the Ubuntu package is not advised.

How do you guys go about doing that anyway? I've git cloned the plugin and edited it with the proper commands even if its not advised.

As in how do you tell it what version of plex to grab? Because you could simplify it by just clicking a button when plexmedaserver tells you an update has come out that grabs the update that way you only have to update the plugin when plex brings out different configs and all that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I manually put the package in our repo. It has nothing to do with the plugin. The plugin doesn't tell it what version to use. When you enable the plex repo in omv-extras, it enables the plex repo on our server.

You are trying to re-create what an apt repository already does. We mirror what package is in shell.ninthgate.se. Before it goes in our repo, it is tested to work on OMV systems and with the plugin. If you allow the bleeding edge version to be installed, it may break something like the latest codec issue.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I manually put the package in our repo. It has nothing to do with the plugin. The plugin doesn't tell it what version to use. When you enable the plex repo in omv-extras, it enables the plex repo on our server.

You are trying to re-create what an apt repository already does. We mirror what package is in shell.ninthgate.se. Before it goes in our repo, it is tested to work on OMV systems and with the plugin. If you allow the bleeding edge version to be installed, it may break something like the latest codec issue.

So to keep it stable you wait 2 weeks or something and see what people have problems with and then include it into the plugin if its stable? I see why you would do something like that. All's I'm asking is if it's possible to make something similar to what you did with sonarr and the repository drop down menu. You could have something like a (stable) at the end of the version that's preferred and latest and previous versions included.

It would make it easier to switch between versions if you need to and if you require the plexpass versions you would need to enter your username and password into a config on the webui so it can grab it.

There are issues with this due to the plexpass version as well. We do not want to cause any rifts with the plex group.

I understand that part I'm currently a subscriber to plex and have been since 2013.

Just thinking that with a lot of the threads I see it's people who don't know how to use things like ssh even if I find it quite easy to now. I remember when I first started it was very difficult to find the motivation into doing it when it was so confusing.

The meaning I'm trying to get across is that for me this far seems easier than having to put in the package every plex update as well as an easy way to say this is what package we think is best. If you want to update there you go but we don't support it yet and it may break or something and also a little note asking for bugs if a new version errors due to some major update.
    I also don't mind looking into making it while you guys get the rest of the plugins up to date.

Unless I've got the completely wrong idea of how you do it? Also plex doesn't make it easy getting the latest versions. :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, not two weeks. Usually just tekk's approval or a few forum users. Too many people want the latest version so I don't wait two weeks.

sonarr doesn't use apt/dpkg packages to install. That is why it has an update button/combobox. While plex probably has a package like that, it needs to be modified by a human to work with Debian (and OMV). So, that won't work for plex.

• Nope, not two weeks. Usually just tekk's approval or a few forum users. Too many people want the latest version so I don't wait two weeks.

sonarr doesn't use apt/dpkg packages to install. That is why it has an update button/combobox. While plex probably has a package like that, it needs to be modified by a human to work with Debian (and OMV). So, that won't work for plex.

Ah bugger.

Was trying to make it easier on you guys.

• I believe Sonarr is a Windows program and uses mono like Emby. So it is quite different. The plexpass is the hardest thing to deal with. Also, it is a good idea to wait til the new version is tested. We've seen problems with Plex upgrades and it would really suck if every user's plex was down if we put out an upgrade too soon. The mono Windows based programs are usually pretty easy to rollback, which is weird. I flip versions forwards and backwards on the emby program a lot doing testing.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!